Did anyone on TLS go to Deep Springs?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
crackberry

Did anyone on TLS go to Deep Springs?

Postby crackberry » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:19 pm

I bet someone did. Out yourself now!

For the uninformed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Springs_College

Chairman

Re: Did anyone on TLS go to Deep Springs?

Postby Chairman » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:21 pm

Didn't go there, but I remember them sending me brochures and such in high school.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:39 pm

Such a weird place. But really, no one here went there? Seems hard to believe.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:49 pm

I have a high school friend who was admitted, but he was also admitted to Stanford. I think that he would have liked to have gone, but there was no guarantee that he would be able to transfer back to Stanford.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:49 pm

chadwick218 wrote:I have a high school friend who was admitted, but he was also admitted to Stanford. I think that he would have liked to have gone, but there was no guarantee that he would be able to transfer back to Stanford.

True. I had a friend in high school who applied and made it to the on-campus interview stage but didn't get in. He went to U Chicago instead.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:53 pm

chadwick218 wrote:I have a high school friend who was admitted, but he was also admitted to Stanford. I think that he would have liked to have gone, but there was no guarantee that he would be able to transfer back to Stanford.

This is what concerned him (and would concern me for that matter).

"Deep Springers are generally successful in the transfer applications process. In the past 10 years, 16% of students transferred to Harvard, 13% to the University of Chicago, 7% to Yale and 7% to Brown. Other schools frequently attended after Deep Springs include Columbia, Oxford, Berkeley, Cornell and Stanford."

legends159

Postby legends159 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:59 pm

so if you don't get into the top universities by transferring you end up with a school on your resume that no one has heard of. I thought it was a community college before reading that wiki page.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:19 pm

legends159 wrote:so if you don't get into the top universities by transferring you end up with a school on your resume that no one has heard of. I thought it was a community college before reading that wiki page.

Deep Springs is all about self-selection. You don't go there unless you know what it is and want what it is. Also it's a two-year school where you don't earn a BA/BS so everyone transfers I think. It's part of the game.
chadwick218 wrote:This is what concerned him (and would concern me for that matter).

"Deep Springers are generally successful in the transfer applications process. In the past 10 years, 16% of students transferred to Harvard, 13% to the University of Chicago, 7% to Yale and 7% to Brown. Other schools frequently attended after Deep Springs include Columbia, Oxford, Berkeley, Cornell and Stanford."

Wait why would that concern him? Just because Stanford is listed in the "others" category and not with Harvard, Chicago, Yale and Brown?

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:21 pm

crackberry wrote:Wait why would that concern him? Just because Stanford is listed in the "others" category and not with Harvard, Chicago, Yale and Brown?

No so much with respect to any one school, in particular, but he was simply worried that he wouldn't be able to transfer (to Stanford in particular) ... his concern may have been without merit, but is likely still a reasonable for a high-school senior.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:23 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
crackberry wrote:Wait why would that concern him? Just because Stanford is listed in the "others" category and not with Harvard, Chicago, Yale and Brown?

No so much with respect to any one school, in particular, but he was simply worried that he wouldn't be able to transfer (to Stanford in particular) ... his concern may have been without merit, but is likely still a reasonable for a high-school senior.

Well your friend undoubtedly knows more about Deep Springs than I ever will, but I was under the impression that ALL Deep Springers transfer, and most transfer to hyper-elite universities. Just looking at those numbers, 43 percent of students go to Harvard, Chicago, Yale and Brown. You've got to figure the other 57 percent go to good schools (including those listed in the "others" category).

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:39 pm

crackberry wrote:Well your friend undoubtedly knows more about Deep Springs than I ever will, but I was under the impression that ALL Deep Springers transfer, and most transfer to hyper-elite universities. Just looking at those numbers, 43 percent of students go to Harvard, Chicago, Yale and Brown. You've got to figure the other 57 percent go to good schools (including those listed in the "others" category).

I don't think that he knows any more ... he just always had this hard-on for Stanford.

midwestswing

Postby midwestswing » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:41 pm

I have a friend that went and then transferred to Harvard (which I believe he was admitted to before going to Deep Springs anyway)

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:01 am

If i was as mature at 18 as I am at 22 I would have loved to go there, seems great

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:02 am

underachiever wrote:If i was as mature at 18 as I am at 22 I would have loved to go there, seems great

I agree. If admitted, I think that it would have been a much better experience than my first 2 years of college.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:03 am

I know a kid that went there. He was a huge douche, hopefully milking cows fixed some of that. Also, my favorite author, William T. Vollman, went there.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:49 am

underachiever wrote:If i was as mature at 18 as I am at 22 I would have loved to go there, seems great

Yeah I sorta agree. No girls would be weird, though I didn't go to school with girls until college anyway.

The only person I know who went there took something like 21 APs and got a 5 on every one. He was also extremely weird. Seemed like a good fit.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:06 pm

lol what the hell is that place...never heard of it. although not too surprised given this little tidbit:

""We perceive it as a problem: Our applicant pool is overwhelmingly white and
upper middle class,"

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:11 pm

WTF, people pay money for this experience and it's considered prestigious? I grew up on a small ranch, I spent my teenage years helping my parents herd cattle and mend fences, and it was the exact opposite of prestige. All I've got for it is a couple interesting scars and a permanent desire to eat red meat just to prove to those stupid stubborn animals that at the end of the day, I still win.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:39 pm

vanwinkle wrote:WTF, people pay money for this experience and it's considered prestigious? I grew up on a small ranch, I spent my teenage years helping my parents herd cattle and mend fences, and it was the exact opposite of prestige. All I've got for it is a couple interesting scars and a permanent desire to eat red meat just to prove to those stupid stubborn animals that at the end of the day, I still win.

lol 180

TTH

Postby TTH » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Hold on. People sign up to spend their first two years of college hours away from the nearest beer tap, marijuana plant, or co-ed, plus they have to work on a ranch as part of their education?

Fools.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:44 pm

I happen to know more than one alum. A bunch of them transfered to my UG. They are all very strange and neurotic people who had previously spent two years reading Lacan and Heidegger in the middle of the desert. I mean its like 20 or so 18 year old boys playing cowboy in total isolation (no women save a one or two professor's wives and lots of homoerotic mischief) and designing their own curriculum. Suffice it to say that these guys all arrived at my UG as quite poorly adjusted young men.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:13 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:I happen to know more than one alum. A bunch of them transfered to my UG. They are all very strange and neurotic people who had previously spent two years reading Lacan and Heidegger in the middle of the desert. I mean its like 20 or so 18 year old boys playing cowboy in total isolation (no women save a one or two professor's wives and lots of homoerotic mischief) and designing their own curriculum. Suffice it to say that these guys all arrived at my UG as quite poorly adjusted young men.

I know one person who ended up going there from my high school. He transferred to Harvard after his two years and proceeded to fail out of Harvard because he couldn't deal with pressure and large numbers of people. My impression is that Deep Springs is for romanticists who then have serious difficulty adjusting to society. The only reason it's "prestigious" is because of the mystique surrounding the place.

Also, the all-male clause just makes it seem stupidly antiquarian. I mean, really, you can't deal with female academics? (I kind of feel the same way about women's colleges, although the difficulty schools like Vassar and Sarah Lawrence have in recruiting male applicants at least sort of justifies the continuance of some all-women schools.)

entrechatsix

Postby entrechatsix » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:21 pm

fun fact: in the gossip girl (books) finale, chuck & nate go to deep springs.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:19 pm

The Wikipedia article sounds like shameless self promotion.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”