If A School Has A "Strongly Encouraged To Apply By" Date

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
monkeyboy

If A School Has A "Strongly Encouraged To Apply By" Date

Postby monkeyboy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:24 pm

that precedes the app deadline, how important is it to hit that date?

Iowa's "encouraged to apply by" date is Jan 15, and I applied about 10 days after, so how much could this affect me? Any guesses?

S de Garmeaux

Re: If A School Has A "Strongly Encouraged To Apply By" Date

Postby S de Garmeaux » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:29 pm

cant say how much it would 'affect' you... But they wouldnt have that date without some sort of reason behind it.

monkeyboy

Postby monkeyboy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:12 pm

Oops. "Effect" was what i meant.

I was just wondering how much of a difference it might make. I mean, it's not as if they have set a firm priority deadline. Florida, for example, makes it very clear that they have a priority deadline, while Iowa posts a date by which applicants are strongly encouraged to apply. Is there a real difference? I just wonder how each date is used, comparitively. It seems obvious that Florida uses this date to admit the bulk of its students, while it is less clear with Iowa.

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:10 pm

You just stand a better chance at getting admitted by applying early.

As you go later into the cycle, it is more likely that you will be waitlisted or rejected as the schools wait for responses from the admitted applicants.

Law schools receive most of applications by Jan 1st.

monkeyboy

Postby monkeyboy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:27 pm

ApexChaser wrote:You just stand a better chance at getting admitted by applying early.

As you go later into the cycle, it is more likely that you will be waitlisted or rejected as the schools wait for responses from the admitted applicants.

Law schools receive most of applications by Jan 1st.

January first? Wow.

Bohemka

Postby Bohemka » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:30 pm

monkeyboy wrote:Oops. "Effect" was what i meant.

I was just wondering how much of a difference it might make. I mean, it's not as if they have set a firm priority deadline. Florida, for example, makes it very clear that they have a priority deadline, while Iowa posts a date by which applicants are strongly encouraged to apply. Is there a real difference? I just wonder how each date is used, comparitively. It seems obvious that Florida uses this date to admit the bulk of its students, while it is less clear with Iowa.

Actually, "affect" was grammatically correct in your original post.
As far as your question, on LSN it looks like a number of people were accepted who submitted apps to Iowa after Jan 15 last year.
http://iowa.lawschoolnumbers.com/applic ... order=desc
If you have the numbers, I think you should be fine.

monkeyboy

Postby monkeyboy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:40 pm

Bohemka wrote:

As far as your question, on LSN it looks like a number of people were accepted who submitted apps to Iowa after Jan 15 last year.

Well, now I am wrong either way regarding effect vs affect, because I waivered. Oh well. Ha ha. Thanks.

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:11 am

monkeyboy wrote:
Bohemka wrote:

Well, now I am wrong either way regarding effect vs affect, because I waivered. Oh well. Ha ha. Thanks.

=P Wavered. Heh. :P I wouldn't worry too much about being late; it's not like worry will change anything. Good luck!

monkeyboy

Postby monkeyboy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:37 am

ApexChaser wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:
Bohemka wrote:

=P Wavered. Heh. :P I wouldn't worry too much about being late; it's not like worry will change anything. Good luck!

Ugh! I originally used "affect" properly, but doubted myself when erroneously called out. To add insult to injury, I then misspelled "wavered" when making light of the situation. And yes, for your information, I did google "erroneously" as I wasn't sure whether or not I needed to add an extra "r". Ha ha.

Good call. Worrying about deadlines won't help.

So...... Regarding scholarship $, has it all gone bye bye at most schools by now? I know, I shouldn't worry about that either. But seriously, is scholly money still out there?

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:40 am

ApexChaser wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:
Bohemka wrote:

I'm guessing you are actually capable of just ignoring a spelling error.

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:54 am

monkeyboy wrote:So...... Regarding scholarship $, has it all gone bye bye at most schools by now? I know, I shouldn't worry about that either. But seriously, is scholly money still out there?

I haven't a clue; there may still be some money for the folks with higher numbers. I did not get money from Iowa with my stats. As the higher numbers accept other schools money may trickle down the line.

kn6542 wrote:I'm guessing you are actually capable of just ignoring a spelling error.

Npoe :P

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”