wisconsin v ohio state (v george washington) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
scottwisconsin

New

wisconsin v ohio state (v george washington)

Post by scottwisconsin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:01 pm

not looking for big law
which school, wisconsin or ohio state, gives me better access to a job in chicago?

also i am waitlisted at George Washington. Is it worth my time to try and sleaze my way into gw, or should i be content with the cheaper pricers of the state schools i mentioned before?

thanks in advance for any advice.

blurbz

Silver

Re: wisconsin v ohio state (v george washington)

Post by blurbz » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:03 pm

Wisconsin gives you a better shot at Chicago markets.

I think you should try to get off the wl at GW, though. It can't hurt, right?

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:05 pm

wisconsin. I am completely totally biased (went to UofM). But the fact that if you graduate from Wisconsin, you can practice there without taking the bar is a huge plus. I know you want Chicago (and I think wisconsin gives you slightly better odds there anyway) but if that for some random reason didnt work... not having to take the bar would be awesome.

scottwisconsin

New

Post by scottwisconsin » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:12 pm

bump

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:20 pm

I'd probably take Wisconsin. I don't think I'd try to get off the GWU waitlist, but I don't have the patience for waitlists. It's like being a back-up prom date. If you're fine with waiting to know until as late as August, go for it.

UW is a good school, and I've enjoyed what little time I've spent in Madison (bf goes there).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:44 pm

--ImageRemoved--

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:52 pm

You can't go wrong with any of the three. I don't think GWU does particularly well in Chicago, especially compared to Wisconsin. And Wisconsin is an underrated AND underranked school (one that was once ranked in the USNWR top 23, I believe). All three schools are in the same league. They are "arguable top-25's", which is what I call the best schools ranked from 25-50.

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:04 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:--ImageRemoved--
Love it!

ApexChaser

Bronze

Post by ApexChaser » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:34 pm

I think Wisconsin also. However, IMO GWU would give you the most options post-graduation if you decide on a different focus.
TipTravHoot wrote:--ImageRemoved--
Haha. Awesome!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BobDole34

New

Post by BobDole34 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:17 pm

scottwisconsin wrote:not looking for big law
which school, wisconsin or ohio state, gives me better access to a job in chicago?

also i am waitlisted at George Washington. Is it worth my time to try and sleaze my way into gw, or should i be content with the cheaper pricers of the state schools i mentioned before?

How is this even a debate? You have in-state tuition at Wisconsin. It's a better school (lawyer ranking, peer scores, Vault rankings, I think US News), in a better town, with better placement outside of its own state.

ITE I would go to Wisconsin in-state over GWU, too. This isn't even a debate dude.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:24 am

--ImageRemoved--

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:32 am

crackberry wrote:--ImageRemoved--
lol....i don't know if ohio is the worst state ever, but it's a state that is losing it's population and that isn't flattering at all.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:36 am

i think wisconsin would give you better access to chicago. a greater percentage of wisconsin alum work in chicago than that of ohio state.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:54 am

If you want into the Chicago market, then Wisconsin is the school for you. It may be the school for you anyhow since judging by your name, you're in-state.

I suppose it comes down to where you want to practice. Also, if you're not a Wisconsin resident, know that you can get in-state tuition at OSU after your first year.
najumobi wrote:
crackberry wrote:--ImageRemoved--
lol....i don't know if ohio is the worst state ever, but it's a state that is losing it's population and that isn't flattering at all.
We may be losing population, but I'll have you know that Ohio is very flattering. Waves of corn as far as the eye can see does marvels to conceal an expanding waistline.

scottwisconsin

New

Post by scottwisconsin » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:10 pm

thanks for the advice. im thinking wisconsin over ohio state, but gw is tempting because i really like the dc area as well.

BobDole34

New

Post by BobDole34 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:48 pm

scottwisconsin wrote:thanks for the advice. im thinking wisconsin over ohio state, but gw is tempting because i really like the dc area as well.
What's the debt situation? If you're taking extra debt for GW over Wisconsin (in-state) you need to be very real with yourself about financials.

scottwisconsin

New

Post by scottwisconsin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:26 am

BobDole34 wrote:
scottwisconsin wrote:thanks for the advice. im thinking wisconsin over ohio state, but gw is tempting because i really like the dc area as well.
What's the debt situation? If you're taking extra debt for GW over Wisconsin (in-state) you need to be very real with yourself about financials.

yeah i mean i definitely dont have a pile of cash to pay for this. im going to be in some major debt. thats the reason i am looking so closely at wisconsin

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:34 am

I'm biased because I would choose WI over GW (both sticker), but I think if you're in-state for Wisconsin AND you're not looking for big law... it's not even close.

In-state WI is like 1/3rd the cost of other schools. And if you don't plan on going into big law.. it is best to take little debt so you can pay it off easily.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:44 am

blurbz wrote:Wisconsin gives you a better shot at Chicago markets.

I think you should try to get off the wl at GW, though. It can't hurt, right?
TITCR

Wisconsin is better than OSU for Chicago ... and if you also have in-state ... thats more of a reason.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:31 am

Last edited by dood on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:32 am

dood wrote:Image
Skanks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BigFatPanda

Bronze

Post by BigFatPanda » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:03 am

TipTravHoot wrote:
Skanks.
--ImageRemoved--

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:07 pm

While awesome, you are likely only to see women dressed like this for about 3 months of the school year in Wisconsin.

Buuuuuuut there's always Mifflin!

BobDole34

New

Post by BobDole34 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:27 pm

scottwisconsin wrote:
BobDole34 wrote:

yeah i mean i definitely dont have a pile of cash to pay for this. im going to be in some major debt. thats the reason i am looking so closely at wisconsin
okay well then this thread is over. you're getting pretty shitty "biglaw" options at either, but that shouldn't dictate your decision - basically you've got Wisconsin and then the outside chance you get some substantial t20 scholarship. Given your GPA that is unlikely. Welcome to Madison's 2013 class.

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:19 am

You're in-state. This isn't even a discussion between Wisconsin & Ohio State. Since you don't seem really that interested in DC for jobs, it's probably not even a discussion between Wisconsin & GW.

DC is a rather expensive place to experiment living just because you think you like it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”