When to celebrate?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
eternallearner

When to celebrate?

Postby eternallearner » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:24 pm

Hope this admissions cycle is treating everyone kindly!

Looking ahead I need some suggestions:

Though I have trotted through 16 countries in my life, there's a few (grouped in one region) that I have yet had the privilege of visiting. A conservative cost analysis tells me to prepare around $3000/person for 15 days.

I am taking the June 2010 LSAT.

When should I fork out the $3000 and take the trip? Right after the LSAT? After I get my score? The summer before starting law school?

Gut instinct is telling me the summer before law school? If so, I will probably take a small trip (budget $200 for 3 days) right after the LSAT to cool off (aka breath some fresh air).

How about you? Let's unwind some bit, hear some stories and relive those happy travel planning!

reasonabledoubt

Re: When to celebrate?

Postby reasonabledoubt » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:28 pm

This is my first time using this term so I hope I'm using it correctly.... here goes: lolwut?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:29 pm

A week after the trip up until the day scores come out. That was the most stressful part of the whole application process for me.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:35 pm

16 countries in 15 days. You are better off sitting at home and looking them up on Google Maps. if you want to enjoy yourself try one or two countries in 15 days.

gochrisgo

Postby gochrisgo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:40 pm

_
Last edited by gochrisgo on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

gochrisgo

Postby gochrisgo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:44 pm

_
Last edited by gochrisgo on Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scheveningen

Postby Scheveningen » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:07 pm

eternallearner wrote:Though I have trotted through 16 countries in my life, there's a few (grouped in one region) that I have yet had the privilege of visiting. A conservative cost analysis tells me to prepare around $3000/person for 15 days.

http://www.couchsurfing.org

GrcP8nter

Postby GrcP8nter » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:10 pm

MURPH wrote:16 countries in 15 days. You are better off sitting at home and looking them up on Google Maps. if you want to enjoy yourself try one or two countries in 15 days.

I just got back from a europe trip, Rome, Milan, Interlaken (switzerland for some alp snowboarding) and paris. 3 countries not including a special night in amsterdam in 10 days. The trip was awesome, but very tiring. The only way to pull off a trip like this is to break up what you are doing in each place. For example, artsy stuff in rome and milan followed by best snowboarding in the world, followed by more artsy. 16 countries in 15 days is definitley to much though. Pick the major 5 and you have a shot, but you better be in great shape and be prepared to be exhausted on the way home.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:38 pm

eternallearner wrote:Hope this admissions cycle is treating everyone kindly!

Looking ahead I need some suggestions:

Though I have trotted through 16 countries in my life, there's a few (grouped in one region) that I have yet had the privilege of visiting. A conservative cost analysis tells me to prepare around $3000/person for 15 days.

I am taking the June 2010 LSAT.

When should I fork out the $3000 and take the trip? Right after the LSAT? After I get my score? The summer before starting law school?

Gut instinct is telling me the summer before law school? If so, I will probably take a small trip (budget $200 for 3 days) right after the LSAT to cool off (aka breath some fresh air).

How about you? Let's unwind some bit, hear some stories and relive those happy travel planning!

I backpacked across Europe after High school. Made a big circle from Amsterdam, to Paris, to Munich, to Interlaken (in Switzerland), Milan, Venice, Budapest (awesome), Belgrade, Vienna, then back to Amsterdam

Amsterdam is awesome. For one, they are very polite people, their airport is clean, simple, and has a train that goes from there straight to downtown... plus, the Dutch speak better English than most Americans. Very tolerant people, but kind of up tight at the same time...I remember one time my friends and I got drunk and stoned and we though we read something about free music somewhere at the performing arts/ cultural center building on the coast. Turns out it wasn't free music, but instead some girl graduated from college or something and was congratulated by her family. We sat there for like an hour before we figured it out, and those poor people never even bothered to ask us to leave. Other than the coffee shops there wasn't a whole lot to the place. The bars closed kind of early which surprised me quiet a bit.

Paris was great. Expensive, but great. If I were a girl and I'd like shopping I probably would have never left there... but none of the the strong suits of Paris were interesting to me, except for the bars and drunkenness (which was actually probably the one constant theme throughout the whole trip)

Munich: Germans are fun. They drink they eat sausage and listen to weird music. I was pretty much wasted non stop the days we were in Munich. Stole giant glass stein from a beer garden... can't remember much else

Interlaken, Switzerland, probably the most beautiful place in the world. I can't imagine living in a better place. I wish I knew how to ski back then... or had money... oh the possibilities

Milan, stayed with my Italian relatives. Milan has the most beautiful women in the world. It's not even close. Not even Paris can compete. Walking anywhere in the urban centers and there 10+'s every few minutes... I'm talking about women that look better than Hollywood starlets, just walking on the street.

Venice sucks

Budapest: this is the best deal in all of Europe. Cheap cabs! only 2-10 bucks for a cab. Cheap food. 3rd most beautiful women after Milan and Paris... some Eastern Turkish flavor, but still you get the old imperial city feel. People play great classical (?) music at night in the castles. Cheap hotels, cost like 10-20 a night. Budapest is full of win.

Bucharest: I felt like I was going to get mugged by gangs of orphans/gypsies/beggars... the 3rd world city of the bunch (but that's really an unfair insult to 3rd world cities)

Belgrade: meh, old soviet building are ugly... people have a weird sort of inferiority/anger complex, but generally pretty cool. It's pretty interesting to drive downtown to see the HQ of their secret police bombed out. It's kind of surreal to visit a country that we bombed the shit out of not too long ago... they have a piece of the stealth fighter they shot down in a museum.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”