need based scholarship

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bissey

need based scholarship

Postby bissey » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:06 pm

After I fill out the FAFSA, how will I find out about need-based aid? Will each school that I have been admitted to send me a letter with what I would receive? I'm a bit confused on the process.

Help? :)

Thanks

bissey

Re: need based scholarship

Postby bissey » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:57 pm

bumpity

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:07 pm

Yes, every law school that admitted you will send out scholarship offers (if any). Note that need-based aid is really need+merit aid for all but the top 3 law schools.

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:11 pm

im_blue wrote:Yes, every law school that admitted you will send out scholarship offers (if any). Note that need-based aid is really need+merit aid for all but the top 3 law schools.

Wait, schools are the ones who ultimately decide how much money you're getting for that school specifically? I thought FAFSA awarded you a set amount of money for each year of law school or something like that and it was the same amount for every school? I'm pretty out of the loop on FAFSA, just finished filling mine out and going to turn it in soon.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:16 pm

So, I didn't fill out the FAFSA for UG, does it send you an email letting you know it's been submitted to the schools? I signed it today, does anyone know how long that could take??

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:21 pm

The FAFSA isn't exactly an organization or anything, it's just the application for federal student aid. With law school, that's pretty much only loans. The institution you've applied to will also give you their own aid (maybe); some schools use the FAFSA to determine this (I think--none of the ones I'm considering do though), some schools use the Need Access form, and some schools have their own form. On the school's website under Financial Aid it should tell you how to apply for that school.

Once you've signed the FAFSA, it'll be submitted to whatever government org it is that processes it. They'll send you a Student Aid Report once they've processed it, which they also send to the schools at about the same time afaik. Basically, if you've got it, the school has it. You'll get a new one for any corrections, too.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:23 pm

NYVA311 wrote:
im_blue wrote:Yes, every law school that admitted you will send out scholarship offers (if any). Note that need-based aid is really need+merit aid for all but the top 3 law schools.

Wait, schools are the ones who ultimately decide how much money you're getting for that school specifically? I thought FAFSA awarded you a set amount of money for each year of law school or something like that and it was the same amount for every school? I'm pretty out of the loop on FAFSA, just finished filling mine out and going to turn it in soon.

Yes. FAFSA only takes your financial information and calculates your financial need, but every law school decides what they want to do with that. As I mentioned, financial aid is not given out like undergrad. It's more or less only merit-based if your numbers are far better than the average student at that law school, and they want to entice you to come. Most students will take out full loans unless they have outside funding (e.g. parents).

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:28 pm

So I shouldn't expect much need-based aid?

Because the school I'd ultimately like to end up at - have to be accepted first - would be a reach, so I definitely wouldn't be eligible for merit-based aid.

This is terribly depressing news....

I know I'm not "special" and a lot of people are in a similar situation but it's worth mentioning I'm essentially destitute by anyone's standards, doesn't that have any impact on their decision for need-based aid? Otherwise, what's the point of filling out FAFSA - everyone is considered for merit-based aid at most schools automatically.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:30 pm

NYVA311 wrote:So I shouldn't expect much need-based aid?

Because the school I'd ultimately like to end up at - have to be accepted first - would be a reach, so I definitely wouldn't be eligible for merit-based aid.

I know I'm not "special" and a lot of people are in a similar situation but it's worth mentioning I'm essentially destitute by anyone's standards, doesn't that have any impact on their decision for need-based aid? Otherwise, what's the point of filling out FAFSA - everyone is considered for merit-based aid at most schools automatically.

Well, all I can say is usually less than the top half of an entering class gets any kind of scholarship money. There are no need-based grants like in undergrad. The point of FAFSA is to qualify for subsidized federal loans, where the gov't pays for your interest while in school, but otherwise rich and poor students alike take out full loans.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:34 pm

Who cares if you are destitute, you'll get loans like everyone else.

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:42 pm

im_blue wrote:

Well, all I can say is usually less than the top half of an entering class gets any kind of scholarship money. There are no need-based grants like in undergrad. The point of FAFSA is to qualify for subsidized federal loans, where the gov't pays for your interest while in school, but otherwise rich and poor students alike take out full loans.

Ah, okay. I was under the impression that we were applying for need-based grants. So they aren't given to anyone applying for law school - it's ONLY subsidized federal loans?

bissey

Postby bissey » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:43 pm

So basically, whatever scholly I am offered will not change regardless of the information FAFSA will send the school? It's worthless in terms of scholarship, but useful for government loans that you have to pay back, right?

FuturehoyaLawya

Postby FuturehoyaLawya » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:55 pm

bissey wrote:So basically, whatever scholly I am offered will not change regardless of the information FAFSA will send the school? It's worthless in terms of scholarship, but useful for government loans that you have to pay back, right?

yes--it helps decrease your total need, so you take out less loans. HYS (maybe Berkeley) give out grants. However, unless ur getting a Darrow, Hamilton, you will pay for your lawschool studies with loans and/or grants (if the school offers it).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”