Is Excelsior College accepted as a good undergrad college? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
liplaw

New

Is Excelsior College accepted as a good undergrad college?

Post by liplaw » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:57 am

I've read a lot on TLS that its the GPA that matters most and not necessarilly which undergrad school you went to.

Is this true also for a degree from Excelsior college (similar to Thomas Edison College in that its a non-resident degree program, but it is accredited), or since its not a bricks and mortar institution ad comms don't look favorably at it?

liplaw

New

Re: Is Excelsior College accepted as a good undergrad college?

Post by liplaw » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:25 pm

bump.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:30 pm

If you have a good GPA and can pull a 99% on the LSAT, then it probably won't matter. I would think that if they haven't heard of the school or have a negative or nonexistent opinion of the school, your GPA won't carry as much weight as someone who went to a top UG. Kill the LSAT to have a better shot.

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:34 pm

As long as it is accredited you should be fine. Something to note, though, is that if adcomms get stuck between you and someone else with identical GPAs, they may go with the other person assuming they went to a more well known/respected undergrad. I can't imagine it being any different than having attended a tiny college in a far away state. For example, I would think Columbia adcomms in New York would have as much difficulty recognizing schools such as Linfield or George Fox as they would Excelsior.

FWIW, Online classes and distance learning is getting way more popular so I imagine adcomms have seen it more and more each year. A ton of "known" schools such as Arizona State and USC have distance/online programs now as well.

At the end of the day, if you have a decent GPA and destroy the LSAT, you will be fine.

liplaw

New

Post by liplaw » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:39 pm

Thanks for the responses. Its just hard to believe that adcoms would consider such degrees as online degrees or long distance degrees or degrees that are achieved by passing a lot of CLEP tests.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”