Graduation Date Change? (May to August)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
eandy

Graduation Date Change? (May to August)

Postby eandy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:02 am

I have already applied, but I need to drop a class. I was really, really sick for a week and I missed two days in a class where if you miss more than 2 days in a semester, you fail. I am going to take it in May at a tech school (savings of $1000). So while my degree will still be completed in May, I won't technically "graduate" until August.

I feel like this is something that I need to notify schools of, but I don't know how to word it so that it doesn't look bad. It really doesn't change anything(I will still have my bachelors degree when law school starts), but I feel like if I don't disclose I might get in trouble.
Last edited by eandy on Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

thelawguy777

Re: Graduation Date Change?

Postby thelawguy777 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:53 am

...cough cough...

...wait to hear back (on acceptance) then tell the school...

...cough cough...

I don't think it's a huge deal. But I think it could draw negative attention to your app. Maybe one of those "it's better to ask forgiveness than permission" type thing...

Sogui

Re: Graduation Date Change? (May to August)

Postby Sogui » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:01 am

Similar situation here. I got screwed by the "system" that led me to believe there was a mistake in my degree audit, only to inform me that because of an obscure rule that was never printed in any course handbook or schedule that despite their insistence I needed only "6 hours in one field of natural science", I actually needed "6 hours in one field of natural science AT the K and L levels".

So despite taking Calculus level physics and scoring well on the AP exam... I needed to go back and take the algebra level version, AND then take the algebra level version for Heat and Electromagnetism, etc...

I'm a business major btw and so despite having 7 hours in physics, I still need to take 3 more.

I don't intend to inform my schools now, most of them say "just graduate by august"... unlike some other issues, the graduation date really has no bearing on your application.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”