Is there actual proof of URM boost?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
farewelltoarms
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:12 am

Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby farewelltoarms » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:43 am

I've been thinking about this, but I just don't see it. If a school has x minorities, what proof is there that those people got in partially due to some unknowable boost? I'm positive no school has ever formally announced the existence of such a boost, and if they did, it would actually further their aim to promote diversity. If a school had a reputation for providing admission boosts to minorities, then it would most likely increase the overall number of minorities applying to that school thus giving them a greater selection to choose from. If a URM boost did exist, it would be the school's advantage to come out and say it.

Just because the school says they promote ''diversity'' it doesn't mean they're looking for URM's. Diversity could be age, location, life experiences, and plenty of other factors separate from ethnicity.

I honestly think the URM boost idea is just an internet phenomena, created by angry white people who didn't get into certain schools and overly optimistic minorities who want to ease their admission anxiety.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:44 am

Image

User avatar
vale1rd
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:26 pm

Re: Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby vale1rd » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:48 am

ive been wondering this too, as a minority i almost feel as though its cheating the system if i say im a URM. I would rather know that i go in on my own merits if such a boost exists.

User avatar
reasonabledoubt
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Re: Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby reasonabledoubt » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:50 am

farewelltoarms wrote:I've been thinking about this, but I just don't see it. If a school has x minorities, what proof is there that those people got in partially due to some unknowable boost? I'm positive no school has ever formally announced the existence of such a boost, and if they did, it would actually further their aim to promote diversity. If a school had a reputation for providing admission boosts to minorities, then it would most likely increase the overall number of minorities applying to that school thus giving them a greater selection to choose from. If a URM boost did exist, it would be the school's advantage to come out and say it.

Just because the school says they promote ''diversity'' it doesn't mean they're looking for URM's. Diversity could be age, location, life experiences, and plenty of other factors separate from ethnicity.

I honestly think the URM boost idea is just an internet phenomena, created by angry white people who didn't get into certain schools and overly optimistic minorities who want to ease their admission anxiety.


I think most people consider this compelling: Look in the bottom left corner of any school in LSN. Scroll over the green arrows which are furthest down and to the left.

User avatar
Joga Bonito
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby Joga Bonito » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:50 am

Desert Fox wrote:Image


... that's pretty funny.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:52 am

Joga Bonito wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Image


... that's pretty funny.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:52 am

vale1rd wrote:ive been wondering this too, as a minority i almost feel as though its cheating the system if i say im a URM. I would rather know that i go in on my own merits if such a boost exists.


Take any advantage you can, fair is only an emotion.

If you were stupid enough to not want it, you could always refuse to disclose race on your applications.

User avatar
Joga Bonito
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby Joga Bonito » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:53 am

reasonabledoubt wrote:
farewelltoarms wrote:I've been thinking about this, but I just don't see it. If a school has x minorities, what proof is there that those people got in partially due to some unknowable boost? I'm positive no school has ever formally announced the existence of such a boost, and if they did, it would actually further their aim to promote diversity. If a school had a reputation for providing admission boosts to minorities, then it would most likely increase the overall number of minorities applying to that school thus giving them a greater selection to choose from. If a URM boost did exist, it would be the school's advantage to come out and say it.

Just because the school says they promote ''diversity'' it doesn't mean they're looking for URM's. Diversity could be age, location, life experiences, and plenty of other factors separate from ethnicity.

I honestly think the URM boost idea is just an internet phenomena, created by angry white people who didn't get into certain schools and overly optimistic minorities who want to ease their admission anxiety.


I think most people consider this compelling: Look in the bottom left corner of any school in LSN. Scroll over the green arrows which are furthest down and to the left.


LSN doesn't prove it beyond a "reasonable doubt"...but still, aa exist so end of thread.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:55 am


User avatar
Joga Bonito
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby Joga Bonito » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:04 am



Ya know, I think somebody with a higher lsat should have filed that suit, I mean, i don't think she was gonna get in anyway, AA or not.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:06 am

As obvious a flame as Clay Aiken in a biker bar.

User avatar
Zapatero
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:14 pm

Re: Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby Zapatero » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:09 am

Image

User avatar
ravens20
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby ravens20 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:09 am

There is absolutely nothing wrong with making use of a URM boost; it is well within the rights of any eligible applicant to use it (and they would be foolish not to). However there is no question that such a boost does exist; it is not merely an internet phenomenon. If you want evidence go to lawschoolnumbers.com click on any school and look at the graph of acceptances/waitlists/denials. Go to the green dots in the lower left hand corner that are separated from all of the other green dots and note how they almost all have three letters in parentheses: URM.

farewelltoarms
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:12 am

Re: Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby farewelltoarms » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:19 am

ravens20 wrote:There is absolutely nothing wrong with making use of a URM boost; it is well within the rights of any eligible applicant to use it (and they would be foolish not to). However there is no question that such a boost does exist; it is not merely an internet phenomenon. If you want evidence go to lawschoolnumbers.com click on any school and look at the graph of acceptances/waitlists/denials. Go to the green dots in the lower left hand corner that are separated from all of the other green dots and note how they almost all have three letters in parentheses: URM.


Alright I just did this, but I fail to see how this is persuasive. First off, LSN is a website self reported by users, not the law schools themselves. The vast majority of the people that apply to law schools don't use LSN. Perhaps just as many white people got in with those numbers as the minority users, but we'll never know this because of the way the website works.

Secondly, why would a school purposefully want more minorities? This is a more general question, and not really a rebuttal, but still. I don't see how having more minorities will make a law school more prestigious or desirable.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:20 am


User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:27 am

Desert Fox, nice flame pic... but in terms of scale you are a little off.

This is more suitable:
--ImageRemoved--

farewelltoarms
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:12 am

Re: Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby farewelltoarms » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:30 am




Okay I read that. Basically, the court allows race to play a role in admissions because of the ''compelling interest'' in diversity.

I have no idea what ''compelling interest'' in diversity means though. A law school is a business designed to make money, hence all this obsession on superfluous rankings in magazines. A better ranking means more rich out of state kids will apply and the school will make more money. As far as I know, having more minorities does not boost your ranking in any way, so once again, what is the compelling interest?

User avatar
fidesverita
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby fidesverita » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:31 am

Wow, how you fail to see the URM boost is just beyond me...

This is not to say that URM candidates get in easily. They still have to be highly qualified and capable candidates. They often accept amazing people who just happen to claim URM status. It's just that the top schools tend to be more "flexible" with the numbers they've accepted with URM candidates versus others. Keep in mind that you have to be the right kind of minority to take advantage of this boost...

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby 02082010 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:31 am

Ran here.

But seriously, for proof, visit my LSN.

hth.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:32 am

farewelltoarms wrote:



Okay I read that. Basically, the court allows race to play a role in admissions because of the ''compelling interest'' in diversity.

I have no idea what ''compelling interest'' in diversity means though. A law school is a business designed to make money, hence all this obsession on superfluous rankings in magazines. A better ranking means more rich out of state kids will apply and the school will make more money. As far as I know, having more minorities does not boost your ranking in any way, so once again, what is the compelling interest?

Let me explain this in the simplest terms possible:

You. Are. An. Idiot.

I hope you can understand that.

User avatar
Zapatero
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:14 pm

Re: Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby Zapatero » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:34 am

farewelltoarms wrote:
ravens20 wrote:There is absolutely nothing wrong with making use of a URM boost; it is well within the rights of any eligible applicant to use it (and they would be foolish not to). However there is no question that such a boost does exist; it is not merely an internet phenomenon. If you want evidence go to lawschoolnumbers.com click on any school and look at the graph of acceptances/waitlists/denials. Go to the green dots in the lower left hand corner that are separated from all of the other green dots and note how they almost all have three letters in parentheses: URM.


Alright I just did this, but I fail to see how this is persuasive. First off, LSN is a website self reported by users, not the law schools themselves. The vast majority of the people that apply to law schools don't use LSN. Perhaps just as many white people got in with those numbers as the minority users, but we'll never know this because of the way the website works.

Secondly, why would a school purposefully want more minorities? This is a more general question, and not really a rebuttal, but still. I don't see how having more minorities will make a law school more prestigious or desirable.


LSN isn't perfect, but there's no reason to believe that the ratio of URM/non-URM applicants on the site would be higher than the overall ratio.

Second, they don't want "more" minorities; they want racial representation that mirrors that of the overall population. Not every minority group gets a boost, only those certain minority groups that have lower average scores than the rest of the applicant pool. As for being more desirable, would you want to go to an all-white school? I wouldn't.

farewelltoarms
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:12 am

Re: Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby farewelltoarms » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:38 am

vanwinkle wrote:
farewelltoarms wrote:



Okay I read that. Basically, the court allows race to play a role in admissions because of the ''compelling interest'' in diversity.

I have no idea what ''compelling interest'' in diversity means though. A law school is a business designed to make money, hence all this obsession on superfluous rankings in magazines. A better ranking means more rich out of state kids will apply and the school will make more money. As far as I know, having more minorities does not boost your ranking in any way, so once again, what is the compelling interest?

Let me explain this in the simplest terms possible:

You. Are. An. Idiot.

I hope you can understand that.


Wow, thanks for the mature response. Really contributed to this thread with that. You didn't answer my question though.

Letting anyone into a school they can't handle is foolish. If a 163 LSAT and 3.0 gpa minority goes to Yale, odds are the other kids in the class will be smarter and harder working. He or she will then get owned in terms of class ranking, and fail to secure a good job. Even if they do get a BigLaw job, they will not be able to work at the level thats expected of a Yale law graduate. I don't see how this is not logical....

User avatar
ravens20
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby ravens20 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:39 am

farewelltoarms wrote:
ravens20 wrote:There is absolutely nothing wrong with making use of a URM boost; it is well within the rights of any eligible applicant to use it (and they would be foolish not to). However there is no question that such a boost does exist; it is not merely an internet phenomenon. If you want evidence go to lawschoolnumbers.com click on any school and look at the graph of acceptances/waitlists/denials. Go to the green dots in the lower left hand corner that are separated from all of the other green dots and note how they almost all have three letters in parentheses: URM.


Alright I just did this, but I fail to see how this is persuasive. First off, LSN is a website self reported by users, not the law schools themselves. The vast majority of the people that apply to law schools don't use LSN. Perhaps just as many white people got in with those numbers as the minority users, but we'll never know this because of the way the website works.

Secondly, why would a school purposefully want more minorities? This is a more general question, and not really a rebuttal, but still. I don't see how having more minorities will make a law school more prestigious or desirable.



Hmm I suppose you are right that my suggestion doesn't prove it definitively...hell all of those green dots could just be non-URMs lying. But LSN seems like a large enough sample size (especially when the phenomenon seems to occur across so many schools) that it is at least reasonable to assert that there is a boost, even if it is not definitive evidence.

As VanWinkle pointed out, affirmative action does exist and has been addressed and ultimately allowed by the Supreme Court (famous Michigan law case).

As for the question you posed...how wouldn't having minorities enhance the academic and social environment of a law school? So much of law is predicated on perspective...the greater the perspective then the greater the discussion (both in and out of class), and consequently, the greater the academic experience. Having students from different walks of life helps schools to develop lawyers who have the backgrounds/interests to address specific issues as a lawyer. Also, the greater the array of interests of incoming students, then the more diverse the student organizations. And, if nothing else, promoting minorities also means great PR. So law schools have profound and real reasons to promote minorities. As a consequence, for better or worse, affirmative action does exist in law schools.

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:40 am

Refer to flame pics please. /Thread

Image

User avatar
Zapatero
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:14 pm

Re: Is there actual proof of URM boost?

Postby Zapatero » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:42 am

farewelltoarms wrote:Wow, thanks for the mature response. Really contributed to this thread with that. You didn't answer my question though.

Letting anyone into a school they can't handle is foolish. If a 163 LSAT and 3.0 gpa minority goes to Yale, odds are the other kids in the class will be smarter and harder working. He or she will then get owned in terms of class ranking, and fail to secure a good job. Even if they do get a BigLaw job, they will not be able to work at the level thats expected of a Yale law graduate. I don't see how this is not logical....


This is a gross exaggeration of the URM boost. Nonetheless, if this is the route you want to take, then you shall never have the right to complain about LSAT and GPA being given too much weight in the admissions process.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest