deleted

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kate07

deleted

Postby Kate07 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:00 pm

deleted
Last edited by Kate07 on Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

hsprophet

Re: was sick--include an addendum about current activities?

Postby hsprophet » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:14 pm

First I would look at it from the adcomm's perspective. What are they going to see on your app and resume that will raise a red flag? In your case, it seems like two things: the academic performance due to illness and the time there was no employment or schooling.

For the illness, I would explain that you had a prolonged and misdiagnosed condition that has since been corrected.

As for the time of no employment, I personally would not address it on your resume. A resume is more of a list of qualifications and achievements. I would submit an addendum that simply states that you did not need employment for financial reasons and personal factors (which you can expand on briefly) prevented you from seeking employment.

What comes to mind is, say, a stay-at-home mom decides to go back to work or school. Although a lack of employment isn't the best, it's not like she is a slacker who sat around eating Cheetos all day. You just need to show the adcomms that you were not working just out of laziness. If you don't explain it they will question, so you should mention it. Of course it would look better if you did have a job, but it's not automatically a negative that you didn't, especially if there were reasons behind it.

Kate07

deleted

Postby Kate07 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:22 pm

deleted
Last edited by Kate07 on Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

hsprophet

Re: was sick--include an addendum about current activities?

Postby hsprophet » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:43 pm

You could say you "casually" sought employment but did not serious pursue it because of ____.

Whatever you say, make it short and sweet. They don't need a long drawn out explaination about every personal situation. Saying you spent an extended amount of time caring for seriouslly ill relatives and why you were the one to provide the car gets the point across just fine. You want to give enough detail so they understand your situation, but not too much detail that is irrelevant (such as the specific illnesses). I would mention the time frames for each situation (one year overseas, X months caring for relatives, etc.) so they get a good picture of how your time was spent.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”