Arguments for and against UC Irvine

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
njskatchmo
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 pm

Arguments for and against UC Irvine

Postby njskatchmo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:06 pm

.
Last edited by njskatchmo on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Arugments for and against UC Irvine

Postby ruleser » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:22 pm

Obviously only current 1L's can talk about the program usefully and if they have any insight into job ops (ie, do any have summer spots lined up), but I'd say Irvine in general is very OC - very suburban feeling, not a ton going on outside of malls, etc., but a beautiful part of the planet, great weather, close enough to beaches/Angels games, Disney, etc. - if you are not from CA, you can have the OC experience.

In the previous economy, it was a good idea to do the school - there are 3 UC laws up north, but only 1 down south, so UCI could be a cross between Hastings/Davis for the LA/OC/SD area. And it still may exactly fill that gap - I know as someone in LA and who would more likely end up working here than up north, I would probably be more inclined to do UCI than Hastings or Davis. Because of the market setup/great weather/etc., UCI may very well end up above where Hastings/Davis do, especially since Hastings/Davis compete somewhat while UCI is alone in its niche.

But ITE, it does become somewhat of a gamble. The UC's could decide wrong time to start that program and back off from it - they certainly won't have a ton of cash to put into it. Also, the LA market might not have a ton of room/interest in a new player with even the old players having surplus prospects.

From the website/staff/etc you get the reality there is no Law Review yet - you'd have to help get it going; no established clinical ops/not established interest groups (ie Black students org, Dem law students, etc.)

So aside from the first year when everyone got a full-ride, or maybe this second year (to a lesser extent) with the half-ride, it will likely be a school for those who don't get into UCLA/USC, a step between the Loyola/Chapman/Southwestern and those.

But if you mean social setting/life/etc., UCI's campus is sort of not really in the middle of a whole lot, it's very pretty but removed. OC in general is very spread out (even more so than LA). So I imagine it's mainly pretty quiet - good for studying, but maybe a bit boring otherwise in the immediate area.

All just my general take obviously not as a student there but just as someone familiar with the campus/area in a very general way...

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Arugments for and against UC Irvine

Postby gatorlion » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:31 pm

I'd like to clear up a few misconceptions regarding the status of the law program at UCI.

First, the students have been very active in setting up SBA, the Law Review, and even an environmental law journal. The students I have talked to are deeply committed to getting these projects off the ground. The graduate student governing body, Associated Graduate Students, already has 2 representatives from the Law School.

Second, while getting a job may be more difficult in this economy, UCI's administration has been working tirelessly to ensure the success of their inaugural class. They have secured commitments to host interviews of several well-regarded law firms and are working to establish more ties in the coming months. From talking to current law school students I do not sense any trepidation about finding a job. Also, the students I have met are generally nice and have interesting backgrounds.

Although I am not a law student myself, I have only positive feelings about the law school and the opportunities it is working to offer. I have a one-on-one meeting with Dean Ortiz next week, so I might be able to answer more questions after that time.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Arugments for and against UC Irvine

Postby ruleser » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:37 pm

gatorlion wrote:I'd like to clear up a few misconceptions regarding the status of the law program at UCI.

First, the students have been very active in setting up SBA, the Law Review, and even an environmental law journal. The students I have talked to are deeply committed to getting these projects off the ground. The graduate student governing body, Associated Graduate Students, already has 2 representatives from the Law School.

Second, while getting a job may be more difficult in this economy, UCI's administration has been working tirelessly to ensure the success of their inaugural class. They have secured commitments to host interviews of several well-regarded law firms and are working to establish more ties in the coming months. From talking to current law school students I do not sense any trepidation about finding a job. Also, the students I have met are generally nice and have interesting backgrounds.

Although I am not a law student myself, I have only positive feelings about the law school and the opportunities it is working to offer. I have a one-on-one meeting with Dean Ortiz next week, so I might be able to answer more questions after that time.

?

SandyC877
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:27 am

Re: Arugments for and against UC Irvine

Postby SandyC877 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:33 am

ruleser wrote:
gatorlion wrote:I'd like to clear up a few misconceptions regarding the status of the law program at UCI.

First, the students have been very active in setting up SBA, the Law Review, and even an environmental law journal. The students I have talked to are deeply committed to getting these projects off the ground. The graduate student governing body, Associated Graduate Students, already has 2 representatives from the Law School.

Second, while getting a job may be more difficult in this economy, UCI's administration has been working tirelessly to ensure the success of their inaugural class. They have secured commitments to host interviews of several well-regarded law firms and are working to establish more ties in the coming months. From talking to current law school students I do not sense any trepidation about finding a job. Also, the students I have met are generally nice and have interesting backgrounds.

Although I am not a law student myself, I have only positive feelings about the law school and the opportunities it is working to offer. I have a one-on-one meeting with Dean Ortiz next week, so I might be able to answer more questions after that time.

?


He's gonna give head and get back to us if it got him the acceptance.

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Arugments for and against UC Irvine

Postby gatorlion » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:46 am

SandyC877 wrote:
ruleser wrote:
gatorlion wrote:I'd like to clear up a few misconceptions regarding the status of the law program at UCI.

First, the students have been very active in setting up SBA, the Law Review, and even an environmental law journal. The students I have talked to are deeply committed to getting these projects off the ground. The graduate student governing body, Associated Graduate Students, already has 2 representatives from the Law School.

Second, while getting a job may be more difficult in this economy, UCI's administration has been working tirelessly to ensure the success of their inaugural class. They have secured commitments to host interviews of several well-regarded law firms and are working to establish more ties in the coming months. From talking to current law school students I do not sense any trepidation about finding a job. Also, the students I have met are generally nice and have interesting backgrounds.

Although I am not a law student myself, I have only positive feelings about the law school and the opportunities it is working to offer. I have a one-on-one meeting with Dean Ortiz next week, so I might be able to answer more questions after that time.

?


He's gonna give head and get back to us if it got him the acceptance.


I'm not applying to UCI. Also, I wanted to distinguish this meeting from some kind of informal meet-and-greet at a law school fair. This is face time folks...

njskatchmo
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 pm

Re: Arugments for and against UC Irvine

Postby njskatchmo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:01 pm

.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], PRinNYC and 5 guests