LOR Advice --> HYS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PopCopyManager

LOR Advice --> HYS

Postby PopCopyManager » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:31 pm

I have been "held" at a top 3, and am taking this opportunity to send in an additional LOR.

Here is my conundrum: I have already sent in 3 Letters of Recommendation.

- 2 are from professors at my undergrad
- 1 is from an employer before I finished my undergrad

I have asked 2 individuals to write me an additional LOR, and both agreed.

>1 is my current employer.
-He is a great person, and well spoken, but I do not believe the language in his LOR would be quite as effective as my other recommender.
-However, I have his LOR already turned into LSAC. I got held a little over a week ago, and want to send additional information as quickly as possible.

>2 is my former professor. I had the highest academic performance out of anyone in the class, and he and I have kept up personally since graduation (although minimally).
-He is an alumnus of HYS (the same one).
-He is extremely bright, and I think he could speak well to my academic abilities.
-I DO not have his LOR, and am not sure how quickly I will be able to receive it, as he keeps an extremely busy schedule.

Which should I choose? I see pros and cons with both.

Thanks for any help!

PopCopyManager

Re: LOR Advice --> HYS

Postby PopCopyManager » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:16 pm

Any Takers?!

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:18 pm

Ask your former professor (politely) when he thinks he'll be able to submit your LOR. Let him know that, while you appreciate his help, you're on a tight time schedule and may not be able to use his LOR if it does not get submitted within the next few weeks. If he does not think he will be able to finish it by then, use the LOR from your current employer; otherwise, stick with the professor.

Since you already have two academic LORs, a third will have less impact than one from an employer even though the quality of your professor's LOR might be much higher.

Also, be more patient ;)
Last edited by BenJ on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAP1985

Postby JAP1985 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:19 pm

Professor.

PopCopyManager

Postby PopCopyManager » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:28 pm

BenJ wrote:Ask your former professor (politely) when he thinks he'll be able to submit your LOR. Let him know that, while you appreciate his help, you're on a tight time schedule and may not be able to use his LOR if it does not get submitted within the next few weeks. If he does not think he will be able to finish it by then, use the LOR from your current employer; otherwise, stick with the professor.

Since you already have two academic LORs, a third will have less impact than one from an employer even though the quality of your professor's LOR might be much higher.

Also, be more patient ;)

I know I am impatient at times :( I think part of that has to be blamed on starbucks for their ridiculously strong coffee!

Are you saying that I should likely send my employer's recommendation anyway? My concern is that "academic ability" seems to be the major factor, and that my professor will be able to speak to that factor in a more impressive/quantitative way.

Thanks again for your insight!

thatguyyouknow

Postby thatguyyouknow » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:34 pm

If you ask your professor, have him fax it to LSAC. I had my professor fax her letter and it was processed the same day that it was sent. For some reason LSAC gets to faxed letters much faster than letters sent my snail mail. Good luck!

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:36 pm

If you can make it happen quickly, #2

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”