Grade dispute with LSAC, help me out here

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
umterp08

New

Grade dispute with LSAC, help me out here

Postby umterp08 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:04 am

In a nutshell: On my transcript I have an F for a zero credit course. However, LSDAS classified it as a 3 credit course.

I started my undergrad career at UMBC. My last semester there, I enrolled in a two semester internship course. It was a Pass/Fail course, and worth zero credits. I took the course because this internship I wanted to do required some sort of school affiliation. I completed the first semester of the course, but shortly thereafter I was afforded an opportunity to transfer to UMCP for a major better suited for me and I jumped at it.

Syllabus for the course: http://www.shrivercenter.org/documents/ ... llabus.pdf

Since I transferred to a different school in the middle of the course, I obviously couldn't finish the requirements, so I received a F. No big deal I thought, because it was a zero credit course and I would be moving on to bigger and better things.

That all changed when I received my transcript report for LSAC, and it classified this zero credit "F" as a whopping three credits. You can imagine what that did to my GPA.

I called LSAC a few weeks ago, complained, and had their people review my transcript. Two days ago I receive their response in the mail saying that their report was correct with the reasoning:

"When a transcript does not indicate the amount of course credit attempted for a failed course, it is assigned three credits, the amount that most courses carry."

My reaction when i read that was disbelief. On my official transcript, it clearly says the course was for zero attempted credits. But for LSDAS does zero= three or something? I would understand their rationale if I received an "F" and the credits attempted column had some weird notation, but my transcript clearly says zero. I don't think its fair whatsoever that I signed up for a course worth zero credits and LSDAS can magically turn it into a three credit course.

I plan to call them again for a final stand within the next few days. How does my situation look? Do I have a chance or am I just fighting a losing battle?

Pearalegal

Silver

Re: Grade dispute with LSAC, help me out here

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:09 am

I think you have a great shot....if all my 0 credit courses I got an A in counted as 3 credits, my GPA would be just outstanding.

MF248

Bronze

Postby MF248 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:11 am

Try talking to your school and see if you can get some kind of official statement or policy from them sent to LSAC explaining that the 0 credit course was just a place mark for the internship etc.

If it's LSAC policy to assume it's 3 credits, then that's their policy and I don't see them accommodating you unless you bring something new to the table like the statement from your school.

Dignan

Silver

Postby Dignan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:29 am

umterp08 wrote:I plan to call them again for a final stand within the next few days. How does my situation look? Do I have a chance or am I just fighting a losing battle?

I don't have your transcript in front of me but, based on your description of the situation, I find your argument persuasive. I think you should call and make your case.

ApexChaser

Bronze

Postby ApexChaser » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:44 am

Hopefully someone at the school registrar can convince LSAC over the phone or through official correspondence?

I don't know, but just wanted to post and wish you good luck! These kind of bureaucratic nightmares really suck.

cigrainger

Bronze

Postby cigrainger » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:54 am

I think you have a persuasive case. I get the impression they wouldn't have counted that as 3 credits of A if you had passed it. LSAC are an absolute nightmare. I got my entire undergraduate degree abroad but my LSAC GPA is a 2.83 because of dual enrollment credits from high school.

Just want to wish you luck.

umterp08

New

Postby umterp08 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:00 am

Thanks guys. I think this case is pretty cut and dry on the surface, but I have feeling its going to take a miracle to get LSAC to budge from their "official policy"

Ill let you guys know how it goes.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�