send in fall grades that suck?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawschoolapp1
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:55 pm

send in fall grades that suck?

Postby lawschoolapp1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:07 pm

NYU today asked me for my fall grades, they want them sent to LSAC specifically. I have a 3.6x GPA, and in the fall got a 3.5, but dropped a class so only had one A one B and one PASS. I don't think this looks very good considering its only two graded classes and still lowers my GPA. Do I have any choice here but to send the updated transcript to LSAC and have all my schools see this? Also how bad do people think this looks?

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: send in fall grades that suck?

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:09 pm

How competitive are you for NYU? If it's a prayer reach, then I wouldn't do it. Otherwise, your grades went down a little, but not enough for it to make a huge impact on most of your schools.

lawschoolapp1
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: send in fall grades that suck?

Postby lawschoolapp1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:11 pm

172 3.6x, which i think makes me relatively competitive

User avatar
gossipgirl
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:25 am

Re: send in fall grades that suck?

Postby gossipgirl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:27 pm

Send it in. While it may not show that you had an amazing term, it does show that you didn't fail and have your GPA fall below a 3.5 or something. I feel that some okay news is better than no news.

With your numbers, I think that you'll get in.

User avatar
WhiskeyGuy
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Re: send in fall grades that suck?

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:34 pm

Is not answering their request for fall grades really an option?

lawschoolapp1
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: send in fall grades that suck?

Postby lawschoolapp1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:35 pm

haha that's a fair point, completely ignoring it is not as I do really like NYU. I was thinking more along the lines of, ignoring the send to LSAC bit, and just sending an updated transcript to the law school.

User avatar
WhiskeyGuy
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Re: send in fall grades that suck?

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:50 pm

It would be prudent to follow NYU's directions.

njskatchmo
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 pm

Re: send in fall grades that suck?

Postby njskatchmo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:54 pm

.
Last edited by njskatchmo on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: send in fall grades that suck?

Postby im_blue » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:26 pm

lawschoolapp1 wrote:Do I have any choice here but to send the updated transcript to LSAC and have all my schools see this? Also how bad do people think this looks?


No choice if you want any chance of getting into NYU, which is still fine after a 0.01 drop.

FZJ80
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:40 pm

Re: send in fall grades that suck?

Postby FZJ80 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:15 pm

Put me in the same boat as the OP. 171/3.85 and they requested that I send updated grades to LSAC. I got a 3.77 this semester (A A- A-) so little bummed it is gonna drop my GPA too...

wocehtoom
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:16 pm

Re: send in fall grades that suck?

Postby wocehtoom » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:37 pm

I'm not sure if OP was considering this angle with his question, but let's say in addition to NYU he is consider several other schools who have not asked for an updated transcript. His refusal to send in Fall grades would effectively eliminate his chance at NYU, but would protect his chances at the other schools that are still deciding. Is my reasoning flawed?

User avatar
Dick Whitman
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:55 pm

Re: send in fall grades that suck?

Postby Dick Whitman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:41 pm

Is a few hundredths of a point going to make a difference at any school?

User avatar
WhiskeyGuy
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Re: send in fall grades that suck?

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:51 pm

Dick Whitman wrote:Is a few hundredths of a point going to make a difference at any school?


The cost (if there is any) of it making a difference at any school does not outweigh the cost he will incur at NYU for not following NYU's directions.
Last edited by WhiskeyGuy on Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wocehtoom
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:16 pm

Re: send in fall grades that suck?

Postby wocehtoom » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:01 pm

It's not the GPA that the school will care about but the downward trend (real or perceived)

nyknicks
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:47 pm

Re: send in fall grades that suck?

Postby nyknicks » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:11 pm

NYU=cock tease who isn't going to hook up with you and doesn't want you hooking up with anyone else. You are being cock blocked man, wake up. What you need to do is flip the script on NYU, they won't see it coming. Tell them that you want to see Fall OCI numbers before you consider them. Also, don't call back for at least 3 days, or you will seem desperate.

You're welcome.

lawschoolapp1
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: send in fall grades that suck?

Postby lawschoolapp1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:04 pm

nyknicks wrote:NYU=cock tease who isn't going to hook up with you and doesn't want you hooking up with anyone else. You are being cock blocked man, wake up. What you need to do is flip the script on NYU, they won't see it coming. Tell them that you want to see Fall OCI numbers before you consider them. Also, don't call back for at least 3 days, or you will seem desperate.

You're welcome.


this was helpful.

I agree the problem though is not the actual .01 change in GPA or whatever, but the downward trend (i had a big upward trend until this semester), and the light course load it shows.

twopoodles
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: send in fall grades that suck?

Postby twopoodles » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:08 pm

I had a school ask me for fall grades and then admit me before I sent them in. It was a "consider" school. I don't think a 3.5 is going to hurt you, but I think you could stall without refusing and your app wouldn't necessarily be waiting.

User avatar
ravens20
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: send in fall grades that suck?

Postby ravens20 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:43 am

nyknicks wrote:NYU=cock tease who isn't going to hook up with you and doesn't want you hooking up with anyone else. You are being cock blocked man, wake up. What you need to do is flip the script on NYU, they won't see it coming. Tell them that you want to see Fall OCI numbers before you consider them. Also, don't call back for at least 3 days, or you will seem desperate.

You're welcome.


That doesn't make too much sense; if a school was trying to prevent you from attending other schools the last thing they would do is waitlist you.

As for waiting to submit your update, I would go ahead and do it as soon as possible. Think about it...your numbers are definitely good enough to get into NYU (I got in with the exact same numbers). The longer you wait, the more seats fill up. Chances are that you will be accepted...but those chances diminish every day as more seats get filled in. You aren't going to lose anything by your marginal downward trend. So you might as well submit your new grades and maybe a letter of continued interest as well..

User avatar
Dick Whitman
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:55 pm

Re: send in fall grades that suck?

Postby Dick Whitman » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:09 pm

wocehtoom wrote:It's not the GPA that the school will care about but the downward trend (real or perceived)


I don't think that word means what you think it means.

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: send in fall grades that suck?

Postby BenJ » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:12 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:Is not answering their request for fall grades really an option?


It could be if you decide to sacrifice NYU to prevent other schools from seeing fall grades. Otherwise, no, although stalling could work.

WhatUpKells
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:49 pm

Re: send in fall grades that suck?

Postby WhatUpKells » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:53 pm

I'm in a similar situation as the OP, though perhaps more dire. I'm a 171/3.76 as it stands now, but due to a hard case of senior-itis last semester, I posted a 3.09 in easy classes. My degree GPA fell from 3.74 to 3.66. Now Duke, one of my lower end schools, is suggesting that I send in my fall grades, and I don't have a single acceptance under my belt yet. Do I stall, hoping to get an acceptance from another school first? Do I send it in directly to Duke, even though they asked for me to send it to LSAC?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: send in fall grades that suck?

Postby im_blue » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:38 pm

WhatUpKells wrote:I'm in a similar situation as the OP, though perhaps more dire. I'm a 171/3.76 as it stands now, but due to a hard case of senior-itis last semester, I posted a 3.09 in easy classes. My degree GPA fell from 3.74 to 3.66. Now Duke, one of my lower end schools, is suggesting that I send in my fall grades, and I don't have a single acceptance under my belt yet. Do I stall, hoping to get an acceptance from another school first? Do I send it in directly to Duke, even though they asked for me to send it to LSAC?


I'm not understanding how even with a 3.66/171, you're not already in at several T14s and one of CCN.

WhatUpKells
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:49 pm

Re: send in fall grades that suck?

Postby WhatUpKells » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:12 pm

im_blue wrote:
WhatUpKells wrote:I'm in a similar situation as the OP, though perhaps more dire. I'm a 171/3.76 as it stands now, but due to a hard case of senior-itis last semester, I posted a 3.09 in easy classes. My degree GPA fell from 3.74 to 3.66. Now Duke, one of my lower end schools, is suggesting that I send in my fall grades, and I don't have a single acceptance under my belt yet. Do I stall, hoping to get an acceptance from another school first? Do I send it in directly to Duke, even though they asked for me to send it to LSAC?


I'm not understanding how even with a 3.66/171, you're not already in at several T14s and one of CCN.


I've been wondering on that myself. I actually have two 171s, so that may be an issue. My LORs should have been awesome, and I thought my PS was good. I sent the apps in November, but I had to wait on an LOR, so I didn't go complete until late November/early December.

WhatUpKells
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:49 pm

Re: send in fall grades that suck?

Postby WhatUpKells » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:34 am

bump

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: send in fall grades that suck?

Postby BenJ » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:39 am

WhatUpKells wrote:I'm in a similar situation as the OP, though perhaps more dire. I'm a 171/3.76 as it stands now, but due to a hard case of senior-itis last semester, I posted a 3.09 in easy classes. My degree GPA fell from 3.74 to 3.66. Now Duke, one of my lower end schools, is suggesting that I send in my fall grades, and I don't have a single acceptance under my belt yet. Do I stall, hoping to get an acceptance from another school first? Do I send it in directly to Duke, even though they asked for me to send it to LSAC?


Don't send them straight to Duke. Try stalling for a little while; a few people who got NYU grade requests last week were admitted before their undergrads even mailed their transcripts. Duke might do the same thing. You should get in somewhere in the T14 in the next couple of weeks; after that, send the grades. Unless Duke is your absolute top choice, in which case it may not be a good idea to make them wait.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 10 guests