Do you respond to acceptance emails?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Sauer Grapes

Do you respond to acceptance emails?

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:14 am

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTH

Re: Do you respond to acceptance emails?

Postby TTH » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:16 am

I haven't. My acceptance e-mails have been form letters, though.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:19 am

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:22 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:I'm sure this has been answered already, but is it kosher to send a thank you response to an acceptance email? What if you aren't sure you are going to attend there until you get scholarship info? What is the proper way to handle this?

I did a search, but didn't find my answers, so sorry if this is a repost.

The majority opinion is that it is neither expected nor commonplace to respond to acceptance e-mails. If you have legitimate admissions or financial aid questions, you could send an e-mail to the appropriate department. Note however, that schools have a method of when they offer scholarship information, and you'll get it when you get it. Contacting them probably won't hurry this up any.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:23 am

I haven't responded to emails, but when the email gives me a name and number and says, "contact me with any questions," well, I have contacted them. I think it might just be a formality but so far everyone has been very receptive and answered everything I wanted to ask.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:25 am

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:26 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:Great. It seems like I wasn't being rude by not responding.

Thanks for all of the answers.

Nah, I don't think they take offense. Probably too busy to even notice.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:27 am

I actually did respond to one email, where they tried to reach me by phone but couldn't. Having re-read it now, I overused exclamation points. I'd recommend against that.

The Dean ended up responding to my email and we chatted for a bit, which was really fun.

I don't think responding can hurt, if it's to the actual inbox of the admissions officer and you have something substantive to say/ask. "OMG OMG OMG lulz" isn't an appropriate email response (you only get to do that on the phone).

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:30 am

Kretzy wrote:I actually did respond to one email, where they tried to reach me by phone but couldn't. Having re-read it now, I overused exclamation points. I'd recommend against that.

The Dean ended up responding to my email and we chatted for a bit, which was really fun.

I don't think responding can hurt, if it's to the actual inbox of the admissions officer and you have something substantive to say/ask. "OMG OMG OMG lulz" isn't an appropriate email response (you only get to do that on the phone).

Damn. That was how I ended my PS.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”