Is it pointless to go to law school...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
reese23

Is it pointless to go to law school...

Postby reese23 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:56 am

if you are not sure what kind of law you want to practice?

at what point in law school do you get an idea of this? i'm sure it is different for everyone, but do most people around here already know the answers before they go to law school or during law school?

Zapatero

Re: Is it pointless to go to law school...

Postby Zapatero » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:03 am

I have several friend in/just out of law school, and nearly all of them have told me that they ended up hating the kind of law they 'thought' they wanted to practice. Hopefully some xL's will weigh in, but I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping your options open.

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:05 am

I think the chances are that most people in here don't have a f'ing clue what kind of law they want to practice, let alone go to law school. But focus on you. Why do you want to go? and what do you seek to accomplish with your law degree? Does it law to be a JD? You sure a MA or MBA can't do it? I do not say this to discourage you, but to think about this in an honest manner.

I haven't found an answer yet other than 1) There's no other profession I prefer over law. 2) I like my work to be academic related. 3) I like money 4) I like prestige 5) I'm full of shit

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:06 am

law school seems like a good place, with all the options and information presented, to figure out what kind of law you would want to practice

LawSuccess

Postby LawSuccess » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:13 pm

I don't think it's pointless at all. As long as you are certain that you want a law degree.

I have an idea of the type of law I want to practice, but I'm not 100% certain exactly what that area will entail, so I'm open to learning about other areas. People ask me all the time what type of law I want to practice, and so I give them a standard answer to get them off my back, but in reality, I'm open to exploring multiple areas.

joekim1

Postby joekim1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:13 pm

if anything, just go to network. it's all about the long-term connections.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”