Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rookhawk
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:44 am

Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby rookhawk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:58 am

-
Last edited by rookhawk on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hitmon33
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:37 pm

Re: Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby hitmon33 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:04 am

Ever wonder why lawyers are considered douchebags?

User avatar
Zapatero
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:14 pm

Re: Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby Zapatero » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:04 am

?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:07 am

The fail is strong with this one.

User avatar
tinman
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby tinman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:08 am

zero-sum games are fun.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby James Bond » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:09 am

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
newyorker88
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby newyorker88 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:14 am

rookhawk wrote:Friends,

I provide you with a reason NOT to promptly withdraw your applications from Tier-1 schools EVEN IF you don't have any intention of going to those programs.

The reasoning is as follows:

1. If you do not withdraw promptly it means that your spot will be relinquished to another student in the later stages of the waiting period. During this period the non-traditional students with tenacity will be fighting against the slightly higher scoring students also left in consideration. At that point, the lower scoring people with better softs stand a better chance of getting into the programs. This is a win for those with tenacity and a loss for some of the higher GPA/LSAT people. This will result in the median scores of the institution you decided not to attend will potentially go down. This effect may push YOUR program you do accept to have a higher median score of admits than the scores at the schools you were accepted into but didn't enroll. A net effect is you are pushing the scores up at your school (by enrolling) while providing an opportunity for the scores of enrollees at the schools you don't attend to go down.

In the end, it provides a win for those of us with tenacity (increased acceptance odds) while decreasing the scores of schools you didn't attend which should benefit your program credibility/ranking when you go on to look for a job.

It also benefits the tenacious low-scorers who get to defy those with higher grades during the waitlist period insuring that more enthusiastic people get into law in lieu of those with solely good standardized test scores.

WIN / WIN (and the only losers are the "pretty good" students that can't close the deal during waitlist periods)


Are you serious with this foolishness or just bored tonight?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:15 am

newyorker88 wrote:Are you serious with this foolishness or just bored tonight?

He rambled about this theory in another thread earlier tonight. I think he's stupid enough to actually think this would accomplish something.

Nat1018
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:41 am

Re: Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby Nat1018 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:17 am

newyorker88 wrote:
rookhawk wrote:Friends,

I provide you with a reason NOT to promptly withdraw your applications from Tier-1 schools EVEN IF you don't have any intention of going to those programs.

The reasoning is as follows:

1. If you do not withdraw promptly it means that your spot will be relinquished to another student in the later stages of the waiting period. During this period the non-traditional students with tenacity will be fighting against the slightly higher scoring students also left in consideration. At that point, the lower scoring people with better softs stand a better chance of getting into the programs. This is a win for those with tenacity and a loss for some of the higher GPA/LSAT people. This will result in the median scores of the institution you decided not to attend will potentially go down. This effect may push YOUR program you do accept to have a higher median score of admits than the scores at the schools you were accepted into but didn't enroll. A net effect is you are pushing the scores up at your school (by enrolling) while providing an opportunity for the scores of enrollees at the schools you don't attend to go down.

In the end, it provides a win for those of us with tenacity (increased acceptance odds) while decreasing the scores of schools you didn't attend which should benefit your program credibility/ranking when you go on to look for a job.

It also benefits the tenacious low-scorers who get to defy those with higher grades during the waitlist period insuring that more enthusiastic people get into law in lieu of those with solely good standardized test scores.

WIN / WIN (and the only losers are the "pretty good" students that can't close the deal during waitlist periods)


Are you serious with this foolishness or just bored tonight?


+1. This is ridiculous

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:19 am

vanwinkle wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:Are you serious with this foolishness or just bored tonight?

He rambled about this theory in another thread earlier tonight. I think he's stupid enough to actually think this would accomplish something.


3rd time this has happened, as a matter of fact. A thread similar to tonight's popped up a few days ago and the end result was consistent.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 am

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
Zapatero
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:14 pm

Re: Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby Zapatero » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 am

So, what happens to all the "pretty good" students? Do they just disappear?

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:32 am

vanwinkle wrote:--ImageRemoved--


van winkle, you are to ____(Adjective) ____(Canine Nomenclature) what Florida Girl is to LOLCats. I salute you.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby Cupidity » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:06 am

Dear OP,

Screw You

Sincerely,
A "pretty good" student

SandyC877
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:27 am

Re: Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby SandyC877 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:11 am

What a fucking idiot.

ubunturocks
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:01 am

Re: Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby ubunturocks » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:39 am

Your post reinforced my determination to withdraw.... I don't think the "tenacity" test is necessary at all...
Forgive me but, as a student of physics, I simply prefer a mathematically simpler world.

rookhawk
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:44 am

Re: Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby rookhawk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:11 am

-
Last edited by rookhawk on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
84Sunbird2000
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:16 am

rookhawk wrote:Thank you all for concluding my test. (I won a dollar for this)

I wagered someone that the average law school applicant would be more offended by someone entering with powerful soft skills than they would if someone with more equivocal grades got into a program.

The argument was that people are threatened by those that are different...that their grades being inferior gets them into the same peer group may reflect that there is more to success than grades and that perhaps the original applicant's emphasis on their stats is somehow marginalized. (similar to the proveable bias on TLS against URMs getting into programs with different stats)

Any socialogists wish to chime in on this gentleman's wager at TLS poster's expense?


Nobody said they were offended by people with "good softs" getting in. It's been far more a case of posters noting that your argument was terrible, and that there was no indication it had any relation to the truth (even were your advice followed).

rookhawk
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:44 am

Re: Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby rookhawk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:24 am

-
Last edited by rookhawk on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby mallard » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:27 am

Basically, people were offended because the post could only have been made by an objectively bad person, and not because of anything particular about that person.

rookhawk
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:44 am

Re: Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby rookhawk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:31 am

-
Last edited by rookhawk on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby James Bond » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:42 am

rookhawk wrote:That would be what LSAT would call "source argument" flaw in reasoning:

"drawing a conclusion about the merit of a position and the content of a position based solely upon the character of the person espousing the opinion"


you're still a douchebag

thisguy456
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:42 am

Re: Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby thisguy456 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:46 am

rookhawk wrote:Before I hand the $1 back, please enumerate why the argument is flawed (no need to argue against the conclusion that was drawn to win the bet because that was agreed before the wager was set)

So far we have people very alarmed at the result of the argument, not the logical benefit to the person not withdrawing.


Simple, because you assume the only students with tenacity to get off the waitlist are those who score lower, whereas high scoring students may also have tenacity and get off the waitlist at a later stage. Furthermore...

Na, you know what, fuck this. This is stupid.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby PDaddy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:47 am

vanwinkle wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:Are you serious with this foolishness or just bored tonight?

He rambled about this theory in another thread earlier tonight. I think he's stupid enough to actually think this would accomplish something.


Not to mention that he's completely wrong. He fails to take into account that adcoms have less time as the app season goes on, and thus begin to rely more and more on numbers and less on soft factors later in the season. This is why there's an advantage to applying early (i.e., no later than Dec-15).

In the summertime, they look primarily for two things: 1) "diversity", meaning that they tend to replace admitted individuals with their same or similar "kind" (so that if a Black, male non-trad biology major from U-Wisconsin declines his acceptance, the Black female, single mother and Psychology major from U-Illinois may get his seat), and 2) "high numbers" or indexes. The second is addressed with the diversity quotient still in mind, but the waitlist is often used to shore up the numbers so the school doesn't fall in the rankings. Diversity is secondary over the summer at top schools especially, but schools will still seek it out if they can have both.
Last edited by PDaddy on Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Please don't withdraw your applications from Tier-1 Schools

Postby PDaddy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:52 am

Cupidity wrote:Dear OP,

Screw You

Sincerely,
A "pretty good" student


Golden!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], BodieBroadus, lymenheimer, mintme, TAD and 6 guests