Previous Haiti Topic

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
laying20

Previous Haiti Topic

Postby laying20 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:59 pm

So for some reason the powers that be decided to lock the previous topic I had about helping the Haiti crisis / law school. But this is for those of you idiots out there:

1) Get your head out of your asses. I've been affected by this crisis probably more than anyone on this site. I lost my grandfather, a house that we have in Haiti, and both my parent's have lost dozens of people they grew up with for 50 plus years. So instead of getting on someone's back because YOU wanted to take my question out of context, maybe you should use your time more wisely and find out facts. While all of you sit on your couches watching what is happening on CNN, I've been effected by this PERSONALLY.

2) I have donated so far $500 and more than 50 lbs. of canned goods to Haiti. How much have all of you guys donated? Every penny counts and I respect anyone who donated even a dime, but to get on my back for simply asking if there is anything ELSE!!!! I can do to help Haiti that would stand out to LS admissions is absolutely pathetic.

So again, while you all sit on your asses and watch what is happening on CNN, this is actually a real life experience for me. And while I continue to help my country in need, you guys can sit here and bitch about how horrible of a human being I am. And to those of you with half a brain that didn't take my question out of context, thank you.

gossipgirl

Re: Previous Haiti Topic

Postby gossipgirl » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:29 pm

A lot of people post trying to get a rise out of others on this forum. People probably A) thought you were one of these people & B) thought your motivation for helping was only for LS Admissions. It's difficult to not avoid such confrontations on an anonymous forum, however unfortunate they may be.

As to your situation, since you were so personally affected by this situation, do whatever you think will help those in Haiti the best. This experience can definitely be something you can include in your PS (if applicable) and will definitely be a stronger PS than most people write. Best of luck to your situation and family.

JeSeraiAvocate

Postby JeSeraiAvocate » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:24 am

I'm sorry, but as a fellow Haitian-American whose has also been affected, I was deeply offended by your question in the other thread. Perhaps you didn't mean to get a rise out of anyone, but the way you posed the question was completely inappropriate. From any angle, I just don't see how it's OK to ask what sort of "charity work" you can do that will look good to LS admissions. And we're talking about our own people here.

And please, don't get on people or try to call others out b/c you've donated to the nation. If anything, if you're actually Haitian, I don't even understand how you see doing anything positive or doing any good as a donation as opposed to it being what you SHOULD be doing. Whatever. Please, in the future, just be mindful of ways your words can come off. Especially when it comes to extremely sensitive issues.
Last edited by JeSeraiAvocate on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:26 am

I can't think of any way in which that question isn't horrible. sorry.

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:29 am

This doesn't track. If you have been so deeply personally affected by the tragedy in Haiti then how can you possibly be thinking about how you can use it to help your Law School chances?? Do you really not see how self-serving that is?? Being affected by a tragedy doesn't give you the right to try and profit from it.

JeSeraiAvocate

Postby JeSeraiAvocate » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:32 am

agentzer0 wrote:This doesn't track. If you have been so deeply personally affected by the tragedy in Haiti then how can you possibly be thinking about how you can use it to help your Law School chances?? Do you really not see how self-serving that is?? Being affected by a tragedy doesn't give you the right to try and profit from it.

Thank you.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:38 am

Not everyone knows your life story. You were posing a completely legitimate question, but it was just written in an insensitive manner without much context. This makes everyone pretty much think you are a self-serving douchebag. So, you either ARE insensitive and are just trying to justify yourself because you feel insulted or you are just so incapable of understanding perception and ethics that you don't see why people might think you're an asshole.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure anything you do that is hands on will be pretty impressive. Maybe what you should be asking is, what can I do to personally help, outside of just making donations. You don't have to join an aid group and be on the frontlines perse. You can also do things in your community to get others involved. Find something to participate in, or even better, get some friends and start something on your own. Bringing more people into a good cause like this will pay dividends, for you, for Haiti, and for your admissions cycle. Your opportunistic attitude wins you no points. It's great that you have donated a lot, but you also have a personal stake. There are millions of people living in third world conditions in this country, and you don't see anyone rushing to their aid.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:40 am

I agree with above posts. I'm very, very sorry to hear about how you've been affected by the tragedy and it's absolutely wonderful what you've done to help so far. But I still don't understand why you would base what you do next on law school admissions and not just to help. Even if in the back of your head, you're thinking about how to work what you're doing into the application, now isn't really the time to express that to people.

If you still don't understand why people are offended by what you're asking, then I have to question your rationalizing skills.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”