UG Major - Law School - Is it the right choice?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
razaky20

UG Major - Law School - Is it the right choice?

Postby razaky20 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:52 pm

I spent my freshman year taking mostly core classes and liberal arts classes because I wasn't sure what to do.
I didn't want to major in anything like history, political science, philosophy, english, etc. because I wanted to major in something that would provide me with a set of skills useful and in demand in these economic times. If for some reason law school didnt work out, what could i do with a philosophy or english degree? Not much.

So now I'm in my 2nd year and have chosen Accounting as my major, because I eventually wanted to go into corporate or tax law. I have a 3.7 currently, trying to make that go up.

Will law schools frown upon this maybe seeing it as a vocational field or something? Its not as easy as english or poli sci, but students with those degrees are a dime a dozen. But Ive been hearing major doesnt matter much.

prezidentv8

Re: UG Major - Law School - Is it the right choice?

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:55 pm

razaky20 wrote:I spent my freshman year taking mostly core classes and liberal arts classes because I wasn't sure what to do.
I didn't want to major in anything like history, political science, philosophy, english, etc. because I wanted to major in something that would provide me with a set of skills useful and in demand in these economic times. If for some reason law school didnt work out, what could i do with a philosophy or english degree? Not much.

So now I'm in my 2nd year and have chosen Accounting as my major, because I eventually wanted to go into corporate or tax law. I have a 3.7 currently, trying to make that go up.

Will law schools frown upon this maybe seeing it as a vocational field or something? Its not as easy as english or poli sci, but students with those degrees are a dime a dozen. But Ive been hearing major doesnt matter much.

You're hearing correctly, and I'd say accounting is a rather nice major to have.

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:56 pm

Your devaluation of a degree in the humanities is ridiculous.

Do not ask, "What can I do with a philosophy degree." Ask instead, "What will a degree in philosophy do for me?"
Last edited by Campagnolo on Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:56 pm

Sounds like a fine plan. Major doesn't matter much, and you have a marketable degree with a decent GPA to fall back on.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:58 pm

Campagnolo wrote:Your devaluation of a degree in the humanities is ridiculous.

Do not ask, "What can I do with a philosophy degree." Ask instead, "What will a degree in philosophy do for me?"

Get me unemployed.

razaky20

Postby razaky20 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:59 pm

sorry, im not blasting the humanities or anything. that was not my intent.

so a philosophy degree with a 4.0 is still better than an accounting degree 3.8/9

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:00 pm

im_blue wrote:Sounds like a fine plan. Major doesn't matter much, and you have a marketable degree with a decent GPA to fall back on.

This. Accounting is an awesome degree to have going into law school, it's knowledge that you can actually apply in the real world once you become a lawyer (at least if you go into any kind of corporate field), and it's a degree you can use to find work even if you don't become a lawyer.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:01 pm

razaky20 wrote:sorry, im not blasting the humanities or anything. that was not my intent.

so a philosophy degree with a 4.0 is still better than an accounting degree 3.8/9

3.8 is pretty awesome unless you're looking to HYS. You can still make up for a 3.8 with a high LSAT pretty easy. Making up for spending 4 years of your life learning nothing practical at all is a lot harder. :wink:

iamtaw

Postby iamtaw » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:03 pm

your gpa will be given the same weight as someone who has a degree in english or poli sci. yours being vocational in nature might give you the slightest negative bump, but that is all.

Sobriquet

Postby Sobriquet » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:12 pm

You will be fine. All majors are generally treated equally w/ the exception of hard sciences and engineering which are typically considered more difficult (aka you can have a lower GPA). In fact, from an employer perspective, depending on what you want to do, a vocational degree may be more useful if it has something to do w/ the area of law that you want to practice. For example, if you are interested in SEC, fraud, and white collar work, you may have an advantage over someone w/ a humanities degree.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:37 pm

Where the fuck did this whole "law schools look down on 'vocational' majors" idea come from?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:39 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Where the fuck did this whole "law schools look down on 'vocational' majors" idea come from?

I'm wondering that too. If anything I'd think an accounting degree would be an asset, especially for schools that place a lot of their grads into BigLaw.

razaky20

Postby razaky20 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:41 pm

Thanks for your encouraging responses, I appreciate the input. I'm going to stick with accounting because I want to go into tax or corporate law eventually.

I have about 2 years to study for the LSAT, but it looks really difficult. I was going through practice questions and it will require a tremendous amount of effort. But I have been lurking for awhile reading your posts and experiences, so I know its possible.

razaky20

Postby razaky20 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:44 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
Where the fuck did this whole "law schools look down on 'vocational' majors" idea come from?

I was doing research on this post of mine, and some people happened to mention that accounting was not loked upon favorably. So naturally I got curious as to whether this is true.

But I think it really doesn't matter. Accounting can prepare you to analyze how many different systems are related and stuff lol.

eshort

Postby eshort » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:45 pm

As an accounting major myself, I must support you sticking with accounting.

The main reason:
If law falls through, you can still get a decent job.
If law goes through, job prospects may be enhanced.

razaky20

Postby razaky20 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:48 pm

Thanks eshort.

What year are you in?

eshort

Postby eshort » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:50 pm

Graduating in May!!

razaky20

Postby razaky20 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:52 pm

Awesome, Early early early congrats!

Are you planning on going to law school?

eshort

Postby eshort » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:52 pm

Yep, planning on going in the fall. I have received my first acceptance and am hoping for some more!

razaky20

Postby razaky20 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:57 pm

That sounds cool.

I'm only in my 2nd year, and the LSAT is already giving me the creeps. I have been practicing a few questions and its making my head spin. But I have time i guess lol.

eshort

Postby eshort » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:58 pm

Take advantage of your time and dominate it the first time. Don't let nerves get the best of you. Take the LSAT in June before you plan to apply and apply as early as possible.

Derrex

Postby Derrex » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:59 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Where the fuck did this whole "law schools look down on 'vocational' majors" idea come from?

I think harvard explicitly states that vocational majors are frowned upon compared to majors that focus on theory.

Straight from them :

"The Admissions Committee considers that those programs approaching their subjects on a more theoretical level, with attention to educational breadth, are better preparatory training for the legal profession than those emphasizing the practical."

razaky20

Postby razaky20 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:01 pm

Thanks for the advice.

Don't want to seem like I'm bugging you, but if you dont mind, how did you do?
Its just cool that there's another accounting major on here.

@Derrex, Guess that rules me out of Harvard then? Lol

eshort

Postby eshort » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:04 pm

I did decently at first (not by this forums standards, though) and then great!
The first time I scored a 164 (90th percentile), but it wasn't around my practices really and I was quite displeased. I took it again: same score. Worked on not letting anxiety get to me and did a bit more practice and landed a 172 (99th percentile) the last time.

Recently, a new concern has come about for me though; the timing of the CPA is going to be atrocious. They do not offer any parts of the exam during one of the months I had intended to use. Some say it is difficult to cram it all in to say, a summer, but I am going to try to do it anyways (even though June is not usable). I just started thinking about planning this recently (dumb) and really need to get on it. (In my state you can sit before you have enough total AND/OR accounting hours and I am hoping to get some business school accounting hours while at LS to count for the last few I need.)

Edit: Added info.
Last edited by eshort on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:08 pm

Derrex wrote:

I think harvard explicitly states that vocational majors are frowned upon compared to majors that focus on theory.

Straight from them :

"The Admissions Committee considers that those programs approaching their subjects on a more theoretical level, with attention to educational breadth, are better preparatory training for the legal profession than those emphasizing the practical."

Snobs. I call admissions fail.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”