Misdemeanor convictions...definitely don't matter?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MHalberstram

Misdemeanor convictions...definitely don't matter?

Postby MHalberstram » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:34 pm

I've read on this forum that criminal records, especially "frat boy" misdemeanors- underage possession, drunk in public, littering, even DUI- are a non-factor on applications.

i just came from a LS admissions workshop, led by 2 LS admissions officers at GWU and Richmond. They had us review 3 actual applications they received a few years ago and determine who we thought was the likely admit. One guy had a DUI on his record with an explanation that he had been in a fight with his gf and had been drinking and a couple hours later decided to go to her house to apologize/makeup....and the admissions officers made a big deal of it, saying it indicated very poor judgment, and that it was a significant detriment to his application. They seemed candid throughout the workshop, so I didn't feel like they were just trying to discourage stupid drunk behavior for future LS applicants.

So what's the deal with misdemeanors like this? I've got 3- underage possession, driving on a suspended license, and drunk in public- but nothing serious, no larceny, assault, etc, or felonies.

Does it come down to how I explain myself? All 3 misdemeanors happened within a (bad) 8-month period, three years ago. Am I gonna be ok, or is this going to be an issue?

FunkyJD

Re: Misdemeanor convictions...definitely don't matter?

Postby FunkyJD » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:25 pm

MHalberstram wrote:I've read on this forum that criminal records, especially "frat boy" misdemeanors- underage possession, drunk in public, littering, even DUI- are a non-factor on applications.

i just came from a LS admissions workshop, led by 2 LS admissions officers at GWU and Richmond. They had us review 3 actual applications they received a few years ago and determine who we thought was the likely admit. One guy had a DUI on his record with an explanation that he had been in a fight with his gf and had been drinking and a couple hours later decided to go to her house to apologize/makeup....and the admissions officers made a big deal of it, saying it indicated very poor judgment, and that it was a significant detriment to his application. They seemed candid throughout the workshop, so I didn't feel like they were just trying to discourage stupid drunk behavior for future LS applicants.

So what's the deal with misdemeanors like this? I've got 3- underage possession, driving on a suspended license, and drunk in public- but nothing serious, no larceny, assault, etc, or felonies.

Does it come down to how I explain myself? All 3 misdemeanors happened within a (bad) 8-month period, three years ago. Am I gonna be ok, or is this going to be an issue?

In your character and fitness addendum, briefly explain how you got to a bad place, to give the adcomm some context -- and then take full responsibility for your actions. Describe the steps you've taken since then, such as obtaining counseling, to ensure that the mistakes won't happen again. Be sincere, be concise, and do not make excuses. Good luck, hope it works out.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”