background checks

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
zelle

background checks

Postby zelle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:26 pm

i have a part time job i'd rather the admissions committees remain unaware of. do they do any sort of digging about employment history? what about getting licensed, for the character and fitness part, is it just based on what i report or do they go digging around in my history?

zelle

Re: background checks

Postby zelle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:37 pm

to clarify, i'm asking the question because i'm a dancer, but i'm also wondering if people who get MIPs and stuff have difficulty during the application process because of it (i luckily circumvented that sort of trouble but have friends who were not so lucky)

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:38 pm

just disclose all criminal stuff... i don't think the employment question will come up. but i also don't think they will look down on it.

zelle

Postby zelle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:45 pm

in order to work as a stripper i had to register w/the police dept and get a license, i'm worried about that coming back to haunt me if they delve into employment history

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:48 pm

zelle wrote:in order to work as a stripper i had to register w/the police dept and get a license, i'm worried about that coming back to haunt me if they delve into employment history

I don't think the schools will delve into it much. As for character and fitness, you'll want to just double check with the bar for the state in which you want to practice law. From the sounds of it, though, you worked legally so it shouldn't be an issue. Assuming you paid taxes on the income appropriately. I've known a few dancers and since they are usually paid as independant contractors, it is up to them to make sure they do their taxes correctly.

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:49 pm

I guess you have you your reasons for wanting it hush hush, but frankly, I'd turn this into a personal statement.

Anyway. On applications that specifically ask for every job you've had, you probably ought to put it down, though you can leave out the details. If they just ask for a resume, you don't have to include it.

As for the bar, my understanding is that they will have access to your tax records, meaning they're likely to catch any omissions. You should include it all. If the bar dared deny you admission because you were a dancer, you'd have a lot of people willing to take up your case.

chameleon

Postby chameleon » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:31 pm

i agree with the "do not lie" advice ... and i don't see this even being on admissions committee's radar. for the bar, it could be a non-issue if you aren't in the employment records at your club. you should check with them and see if they keep good books or if they're shady about things, you might luck out.

zelle

Postby zelle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:37 pm

thanks for the advice. i was kind of planning on not paying taxes because i have a full-time day job and in the club's records i'm only listed by my stage name, and everything is cash. i AM worried about that being an issue when it comes to the bar, though.

and jayzon, pics would get this thread locked for adult content :) but maybe i'll be sitting next to you next year as a 1L, you never know.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:41 pm

j.wellington wrote:I guess you have you your reasons for wanting it hush hush, but frankly, I'd turn this into a personal statement.

Um. Don't do this. I'm not judging you - you just can't assume that the AdComms won't.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”