How to ask a School for some $$$

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
clint4law

How to ask a School for some $$$

Postby clint4law » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:34 pm

I was recently accepted into a T14 and several fellow TLSers with lower numbers received $$$ from the very same school. How do I go about requesting some $?

nick637

Re: How to ask a School for some $$$

Postby nick637 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:36 pm

How are your softs?

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:08 pm

nick637 wrote:How are your softs?

pretty strong i think.....8 years of work experience.

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:13 pm

I believe the trick with asking for scholly $ is to leverage what schools you have been accepted to and which have offered you money. It certainly won't work 100% of the time but if you have other acceptances at peer or near-peer schools with money you can try to play it off this school. As much as we feel like the schools have their pick of students they do compete against each other and need to protect their yields and make sure they enroll a full class. There have been a number of threads specifically on leveraging $$$ and how to address the requests in a formal manner.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:47 pm

SamSeaborn2016 wrote:I believe the trick with asking for scholly $ is to leverage what schools you have been accepted to and which have offered you money. It certainly won't work 100% of the time but if you have other acceptances at peer or near-peer schools with money you can try to play it off this school. As much as we feel like the schools have their pick of students they do compete against each other and need to protect their yields and make sure they enroll a full class. There have been a number of threads specifically on leveraging $$$ and how to address the requests in a formal manner.

Thanks!
I tried searching TLS on this subject and was unable to find any. Do you mind posting some of the links here?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:51 pm

clint4law wrote:
SamSeaborn2016 wrote:I believe the trick with asking for scholly $ is to leverage what schools you have been accepted to and which have offered you money. It certainly won't work 100% of the time but if you have other acceptances at peer or near-peer schools with money you can try to play it off this school. As much as we feel like the schools have their pick of students they do compete against each other and need to protect their yields and make sure they enroll a full class. There have been a number of threads specifically on leveraging $$$ and how to address the requests in a formal manner.

Thanks!
I tried searching TLS on this subject and was unable to find any. Do you mind posting some of the links here?

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

I would follow this pretty closely.

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:54 pm

OGR3 wrote:
clint4law wrote:

Thanks!

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

I would follow this pretty closely.

Yup. That one pretty much has your bases covered.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”