Has waiting screwed me? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
icydash

Bronze

Has waiting screwed me?

Post by icydash » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:57 pm

Basically, I don't have my transcripts in to the LSAC yet from my graduate school program because of an unexpected two-week hold up on my school's side before they sent them out. They were sent out early last week, but they'll probably not be finished being "processed" by the LSAC until one or two days before Feb 1st, which is the deadline for some of the schools i'm applying to, like Cornell. I had originally intended to be applying a few weeks early, but all this has pushed me right up against the "deadline wall."

Is applying right at the last minute a waste of time? am I kind of screwed by this whole thing for the feb. 1st-deadline schools?

MURPH

Silver

Re: Has waiting screwed me?

Post by MURPH » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:10 pm

I've read that schools literally get 1/2 of the applications for the cycle on the last day. You are not screwed but if you are willing to put it off for a year and get your apps in on Sept 1st you will be in very good shape for the next cycle.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:17 pm

It depends on your numbers, the quality of your app, etc. Are you above their 75%, or at least above both medians? Would you be able to wait and apply next cycle?

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:35 pm

Unfortunately I can't wait until next cycle. Also my numbers aren't that great but it was a reach school anyway. I have a 3.52 and a 164, however my 3.52 is in electrical engineering, which I've also just completed my masters in. My masters is from an Ivy League school. I also have a very, very strong and unusual personal statement.

I guess since it's a reach anyway i shouldn't worry too much about it.

Thanks for the input guys!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:45 pm

Don't worry about it, with two below-median numbers, Cornell is an auto-ding whether you applied on the first or last day of the cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:46 pm

but, but, but....electrical engineering....

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:59 pm

Well yeah i mean i have a 3.52 but that's like a 3.9 in any other major, shouldn't they take that into account?

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:01 pm

icydash wrote:Well yeah i mean i have a 3.52 but that's like a 3.9 in any other major, shouldn't they take that into account?
they shoulddd, but they don't... why can't u wait an year and/or retake the LSAT? Also are there any other options than law school? (since you do have a good EE masters degree)

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:24 pm

I'm already 24 and don't want to put off my JD much longer--i put it off once already for my master's knowing i was going to end up in law school.

The whole point of them looking at your UGPA is in part to help determine if you'll be able to deal with the work--the difficulty of the major should absolutely be taken into account.

Eh whatever we'll see what happens.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:32 pm

icydash wrote:I'm already 24 and don't want to put off my JD much longer--i put it off once already for my master's knowing i was going to end up in law school.

The whole point of them looking at your UGPA is in part to help determine if you'll be able to deal with the work--the difficulty of the major should absolutely be taken into account.

Actually the point of your GPA is to help the law school maintain or boost their median GPA which is reported to US News and affects their ranking. So you can see why your 3.52 is treated as just that, even if it was in EE. It sucks and shouldn't be this way, but that's how the system works.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:41 pm

The OPs question was about the timeline of applications, not for people to assess the strength of his or her GPA or LSAT. If they want to know the consensus on major boosts I am sure they can seek out the information. No need for unsolicited nastiness.

I think the idea is slight boost if you get in early, but hardly out of the running based on the day you submit. You don't appear to have any choice here, so don't lose sleep over it.

daisuki

New

Post by daisuki » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:43 pm

im_blue wrote:Don't worry about it, with two below-median numbers, Cornell is an auto-ding whether you applied on the first or last day of the cycle.
Come on now- part of the $80 we're paying ensures that each application is carefully read and evaluated, there are no cutoffs and each application is considered individually, right? right???

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:47 pm

daisuki wrote:
im_blue wrote:Don't worry about it, with two below-median numbers, Cornell is an auto-ding whether you applied on the first or last day of the cycle.
Come on now- part of the $80 we're paying ensures that each application is carefully read and evaluated, there are no cutoffs and each application is considered individually, right? right???
Sure it does. They take one look at the numbers, see they're below median, turn to the URM box, see it's marked "no," then control-F the phrase "and then I cured cancer." You can probably guess what comes next.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:50 pm

yes... schools have fewer spots left now, so waiting has screwed you. how hard it has screwed you remains to be seen.

ps494

Bronze

Post by ps494 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:28 pm

icydash wrote:I'm already 24 and don't want to put off my JD much longer--i put it off once already for my master's knowing i was going to end up in law school.

You're not that old. You're one to two years older than someone who is going to law school straight out of undergrad.

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:44 pm

Thanks for all the info guys. I guess I'll just apply and see what happens. I knew Cornell was going to be a reach anyway, and it's the only Feb. 1st deadline school i'm applying to. The rest of my applications should be 15 days - a month early, and within the LSAT/GPA range.

Yeah it sucks how admissions is so GPA/LSAT focused because of US news and doesn't take into account important factors like a masters degree, or difficulty of the major / undergrad institution.

ps494

Bronze

Post by ps494 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:58 pm

icydash wrote:Thanks for all the info guys. I guess I'll just apply and see what happens. I knew Cornell was going to be a reach anyway, and it's the only Feb. 1st deadline school i'm applying to. The rest of my applications should be 15 days - a month early, and within the LSAT/GPA range.

Yeah it sucks how admissions is so GPA/LSAT focused because of US news and doesn't take into account important factors like a masters degree, or difficulty of the major / undergrad institution.

I always wondered why everyone gives credence to the US News rankings. It seems like US News got together one day, decided to rank America's law schools, and somehow everyone decided to follow them. How and when did this happen?

U.S. News has no business ranking schools outside of the top 25 IMO. I mean what the hell is the difference between a school ranked 65 and a school ranked 75. LOL.
Last edited by ps494 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:59 pm

ps494 wrote:
icydash wrote:Thanks for all the info guys. I guess I'll just apply and see what happens. I knew Cornell was going to be a reach anyway, and it's the only Feb. 1st deadline school i'm applying to. The rest of my applications should be 15 days - a month early, and within the LSAT/GPA range.

I always wondered why everyone gives credence to the US News rankings. It seems like US News got together one day, decided to rank America's law school, and somehow everyone decided to follow them. How and when did this happen?
You described it perfectly yourself already.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:02 pm

bees wrote:but, but, but....electrical engineering....
Didn't help me.

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:12 pm

I'm an EE with a 165/3.52. Same name on LSN. You should check out my cycle, because it should be indicative of your own, except with a few more dings due to a lower LSAT.

Bear in mind that most of my applications went to PT programs, so if you're applying to FT programs your odds at places I've been accepted (i.e., Fordham) are even smaller. I've been WL'ed at DC PT programs, rather than dinged like almost all of my numbers counterparts, because I am employed by the federal government at an institution that these schools work very closely with, so they may eventually admit me out of respect to my agency. My work experience and personal statement are probably equal to or better than yours. It doesn't help that much. Sorry.

Also realize, that with MY numbers, Fordham was a reach (i.e., both numbers are below median) and I got very lucky. A 164 wouldn't get you any closer.

Not to be a negative nancy, but Cornell shouldn't even cross your mind as a possibility unless you are a URM. Look in the lower T30 or midwestern T20-T30, or retake the LSAT and hit 169+ if your heart is set on Cornell. This is a surefire way to get them to respect your EE. With a 164, your options are limited.

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:16 pm

tesoro wrote:I'm an EE with a 165/3.52. Same name on LSN. You should check out my cycle, because it should be indicative of your own, except with a few more dings due to a lower LSAT.

Bear in mind that most of my applications went to PT programs, so if you're applying to FT programs your odds at places I've been accepted (i.e., Fordham) are even smaller. I've been WL'ed at DC PT programs, rather than dinged like almost all of my numbers counterparts, because I am employed by the federal government at an institution that these schools work very closely with, so they may eventually admit me out of respect to my agency. My work experience and personal statement are probably equal to or better than yours. It doesn't help that much. Sorry.

Also realize, that with MY numbers, Fordham was a reach (i.e., both numbers are below median) and I got very lucky. A 164 wouldn't get you any closer.

Not to be a negative nancy, but Cornell shouldn't even cross your mind as a possibility unless you are a URM. Look in the lower T30 or midwestern T20-T30, or retake the LSAT and hit 169+ if your heart is set on Cornell. This is a surefire way to get them to respect your EE. With a 164, your options are limited.

Where can i get info on your cycle?

And I have no interest in ever taking the LSAT again haha =) Most of the schools I'm applying to are T20-30, and some higher part time schools. Whatever happens happens I guess.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:32 pm

icydash wrote:
tesoro wrote:I'm an EE with a 165/3.52. Same name on LSN. You should check out my cycle, because it should be indicative of your own, except with a few more dings due to a lower LSAT.

And I have no interest in ever taking the LSAT again haha =) Most of the schools I'm applying to are T20-30, and some higher part time schools. Whatever happens happens I guess.
You can check it out here: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/tesoro/jd

SOCRATiC

Bronze

Post by SOCRATiC » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:39 pm

ps494 wrote:

You're not that old. You're one to two years older than someone who is going to law school straight out of undergrad.
+1

I'll be 26 by the time I matriculate.

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:37 am

icydash wrote:

The above poster gave you the right link to my cycle. May not be terribly helpful because I'm a city kid and therefore am completely biased to NY/DC/LA/Boston so I didn't really apply out of these areas, but my results at GULC/GWU/Fordham/UCLA might be meaningful for you. I was also held at BC and haven't heard anything yet from BU or USC (those aren't listed yet listed), which may also be of note.

Ultimately the point is that EE didn't do much for me, and I don't expect it to do much for you in admissions either. On the flip side, getting a job (Assuming you're going for IP) should be a lot easier for guys like us in T30 than for our non-EE friends in T14. Hence, I'm in agreement with you that not retaking the LSAT is an option for us. I also refused to retake it, so I totally understand your mindset.

Just please be aware that without retaking, Cornell is going to pass around your application so that everyone has a chance to laugh at it, and then the dean is going to use it as toilet paper.

The only time you should expect to see a boost in admissions is if there are 10 164/3.52s that they're choosing between, and you're the only engineering major out of the bunch. Then they would (maybe) pick you over the rest. Unfortuately Cornell will never be choosing any 164/3.52s unless they are URMs.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”