APPS STRATEGY: Did you apply to 5+ schools?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gatorlion

Re: APPS STRATEGY: Did you apply to 5+ schools?

Postby gatorlion » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:01 pm

TWoodWil wrote:Applied to 33. All waived except UNLV, which has a stated policy of never allowing the app fee to be waived.

I received a fee waiver via mail from UNLV a couple months ago...

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:03 pm

whereto4law wrote:How many schools did you apply to? How much time did you spend on applications?

I am thinking about applying to 15 or so for the 2011 cycle, and I wanted to see if that was crazy or not.

Any luck with the far-reaching strategy? Scholarships or acceptance into reach schools?

I had like 10 applications, but I also had LSAC fee waiver, so I applied broadly.

I only applied to schools that I would like to attend (renown + location), so I only had 1 real "safety" I applied to several reaches, some of them because I was counting on a higher LSAT performance than I actually got. I would have applied to more, but my #'s and the lack of acceptable alternatives prevented me.

overall:
1 Safety
3 Targets
2 reaches
4 snow ball chance in hell reaches

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:13 pm

I applied to 5 schools to UG. I was accepted at all 5.

I have been rejected by 5 law schools. :(

happy187

Postby happy187 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:44 pm

Do law schools see all the schools you are applying to? I only applied to 2 schools, and really I can only attend one if I get in. I have to go PT and it has to be a realistic commute. I was just thinking if admissions see more applications that may affect the admissions proccess.

JeSeraiAvocate

Postby JeSeraiAvocate » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:43 am

I applied to 31 schools. I have an LSAC fee waiver so everything cost me roughly $400. I had to pay for a few apps (Yale, Stanford, I think).

Totally worth it. I've been accepted to all range of schools but the best is UPenn so far. Still waiting for the rest.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:05 pm

it is funny how the LS admissions process is almost designed to take the shotgun approach. You only need to pesker LOR writers once, all schools accept the same personal statement, only one set of transcripts, LSAC is pretty convenient, etc.

This is in stark contrast to other grad programs such as Ph.D. or MBA. Those are terrible (especially MBA). Each school requires custom essays, their own copy of transcripts, customized LOR, etc.

It is almost as if law schools want to make the process even more numbers-based than it is, which is the inevitable consequence of having people apply everywhere. There is just that much less time to review each application.

x47point6

Postby x47point6 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:08 pm

6: 3 local T2/TTTs for $$$, the local T14, H, and, recently, Michigan. In at the first four, out at H, waiting on the last.

I'm kicking myself for not applying to more T14 schools early in the cycle, looking for $$$ leverage opportunities even though I definitely can't relocate. Honestly, the same reasons I have to stay local kept me from dropping another several hundred dollars to see whether I could get into the rest of the T14.

RhubarbPie

Postby RhubarbPie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:14 pm

I applied to 22 schools, more than half were fee waivers.

I didn't spend a whole lot of time on individual apps, it was more the individual requirements for the apps (like Yale, Penn, etc.) that took the most time. But for most of them, you can attach the same personal statement, diversity statement, resume etc.

anothernancydrew

Postby anothernancydrew » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:21 pm

16 schools, but with fee waivers from 14. I would have had to significantly cut down my list otherwise. I've been having pretty good luck so far, so I am kicking myself that I didn't apply to one or two more reaches.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”