LOCI when not on waitlist?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Prime12

LOCI when not on waitlist?

Postby Prime12 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:46 pm

Just wondering.

Most of my apps are complete (at least according to status checkers) but not under review yet. I've been thinking about ways to improve my chances.

Will sending in a LOCI now to my top choice possibly help? I know LOCI's are usually sent when one's on a waitlist (hence Letter Of CONTINUED Interest) but still.

Has anyone done this?

crm

Re: LOCI when not on waitlist?

Postby crm » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:48 pm

Prime12 wrote:Just wondering.

Most of my apps are complete (at least according to status checkers) but not under review yet. I've been thinking about ways to improve my chances.

Will sending in a LOCI now to my top choice possibly help? I know LOCI's are usually sent when one's on a waitlist (hence Letter Of CONTINUED Interest) but still.

Has anyone done this?

+1 im interested in this as well..

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:54 pm

crm wrote:
Prime12 wrote:Just wondering.

Has anyone done this?

+1 im interested in this as well..

+1

deadatheist

Postby deadatheist » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:06 pm

1. it's a matter of time. how long has it been since you applied/went complete? I think it's fair to start drafting an LOCI in the 5th month, and send it soon after, and definitely in the 6th month. that's enough time to seem reasonable, not annoying, by sending an update. if you've been complete 2-3 months... get in line! these things take time, and in return they require your understanding and patience.
imho, exceptions would be:
- if something very significant happened in those 2-3 months since you applied, in which case you could send a brief loci to share what you feel merits an update to your application.
- you're super borderline between wl and rejection. in that case, start drafting an loci to show why you're interested in that school IF you didn't do so in your app/ps.

2. what exactly do you have to say? what have you done since you submitted your app? this should go w/o saying (job promotions, volunteer work, gpa bump, lsat improvement, visit to school or some other interaction with the school/students/faculty/alumni, etc.). but if you don't have anything to update, it's prob not worth an loci; not yet at least (save it for after the possibility of a waitlist). you do have other options though to show and demonstrate your interest, esp. while still waiting for your initial decision. for example, call the admissions office, give them your name(!), and inquire about, say, visiting the school (i.e. when are good days to visit? how can prospective students sit in on classes? can you arrange a tour? mind you, do your research before making a call, since certain subjects may be provided on the school's website.) In this example, even if you logistically can't visit, it would show your interest if you asked about visiting in advance... (AND since if you are accepted anyways, you presumably will visit, right?)

hth.

deadatheist

Postby deadatheist » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:09 pm

p.s. i did do this, and am speaking from experience. i detail more of my own experience on pg 2 here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70902

also, i just bumped this. iirc, there's plenty of advice there too.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27169

good luck!
Last edited by deadatheist on Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prime12

Postby Prime12 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:22 pm

That about clears it up. Thanks! :D

I applied in late November so it's only been 2 months. I am a weak splitter (3.15/169) for my top choice school (Cornell) so I was literally thinking about everything I could do to not get outright rejected (which, hate to admit, will probably be the case here :cry: damn that 3.15 to hell).

Since I'm sort of boarderline WL/Reject, I guess it may be worth it to send in one. And that's a wonderful idea, calling the admissions office and expressing my interest.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”