Is this possible?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
politics

Is this possible?

Postby politics » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:29 pm

I sent apps out with my Dec. score in hopes that I get lucky. Let's say I get accepted into a school and put my seat deposits down etc. Can I retake the JUNE LSAT and if I do better opt out and decide to reapply next cycle?

reasonabledoubt

Re: Is this possible?

Postby reasonabledoubt » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:31 pm

politics wrote:I sent apps out with my Dec. score in hopes that I get lucky. Let's say I get accepted into a school and put my seat deposits down etc. Can I retake the JUNE LSAT and if I do better opt out and decide to reapply next cycle?

Good question to which I'd add.... does a quick June LSAT registration become evident to any schools who are currently considering your application?

devilishangelrjp

Postby devilishangelrjp » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:51 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
politics wrote:I sent apps out with my Dec. score in hopes that I get lucky. Let's say I get accepted into a school and put my seat deposits down etc. Can I retake the JUNE LSAT and if I do better opt out and decide to reapply next cycle?

Good question to which I'd add.... does a quick June LSAT registration become evident to any schools who are currently considering your application?

To the last poster, the schools are alerted when you register again.

To the OP, I don't know how that works. Do you mean, reapply to the same school that accepted you? If so, I can't imagine why you'd do that?
Last edited by devilishangelrjp on Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:52 pm

Absolutely. It happens all of the time. They don't like it, though, and it might be communicated to the schools you apply to. I doubt it will hurt your chances anywhere, though. You would be better off to just know by April 1 whether or not you will be taking the June LSAT.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:57 pm

You'll forfeit your seat deposits, and probably upset the school, but that's about it.

Given that most schools require two $500 seat deposits by June, that's one expensive retake.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:18 pm

ntzsch wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:You'll forfeit your seat deposits, and probably upset the school, but that's about it.

Given that most schools require two $500 seat deposits by June, that's one expensive retake.

you forfeit your seat deposit if you retake?

i find that hard to believe.

No, you forfeit your seat deposit if you withdraw. I was referring to "opting out" of attending, which would forfeit your seat deposits.

Your school will probably tell you there is no additional $$$$ available by the time July comes around. They shouldn't have to give you $$$$ at that point because you're already committed to attending there through seat deposits, unless you're also deposited or WL'd at a much better school...

So if they don't see it as a threat that you'll withdraw and reapply everywhere, they'll see it as a threat that you're trying to get off someone else's WL.

politics

Postby politics » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:47 pm

What if you are WLed at the school? Would the June retake be more feasible of an option then without pissing anyone off?

pulandasu

Postby pulandasu » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:31 pm

I am tagging this to get a bump because I am also interested in the original question.

Does registering for June LSAT hurt your chances

I registered for the June LSAT because I am in the median for most schools that I am applying to (3.69/171 for Chicago, Columbia and Penn). I thought I'd get waitlisted so I will take June to either hope to get admitted if I pull 174+ or apply in the next cycle.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:34 pm

Just wait til April to register.

evergirl23

Postby evergirl23 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:38 pm

devilishangelrjp wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:

To the last poster, the schools are alerted when you register again.

To the OP, I don't know how that works. Do you mean, reapply to the same school that accepted you? If so, I can't imagine why you'd do that?

Per LSAC, they do not alert schools when you register again. Some schools have the capability to check your file and see if you are registered for a future LSAT administration, but they do not let every school automatically know.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”