Bored with Waiting -- Help with making sense of LSAC data

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Bored with Waiting -- Help with making sense of LSAC data

Postby turkishangora » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:28 am

Last edited by turkishangora on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Bored with Waiting -- Help with making sense of LSAC data

Postby mb88 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:35 am

It's an interesting problem for Cornell. I believe it stems from the fact that their numbers are the easiest to reach among the T-14, so it acts sort of as a gate-keeper to the "good" law schools. Thus, it's reasonable to believe that Cornell is being flooded with a bunch of borderline numbers who are desperately trying to get into the T-14. While this is always a problem, it is probably being inflamed by the economy, and internet bias towards "T-14 or BUST!". You don't see such a massive increase in admissions at the rest of this bracket of schools because their numbers are considerably more difficult to reach. Where with Cornell you can be okay with a 3.2, the rest of the T-14 you really need a 3.5 or above. Where with Cornell you're okay with a 166, with the others you're not safe until you hit 170. Those are relatively small increases, but in practice they're everything. I can't remember exactly, but isn't it something like 3 times as many people score in the 165-169 range than the entire 170-180 set?

The real problem Cornell is going to face is a warped yield percentage. With so many borderline people desperate to get into a T-14, they're going to see a very high rate of matriculation from their average applicants. While only time will tell what's actually going on, I think this cycle at Cornell is going to be hyper competitive for borderline/reach students, but just another average year for anybody with better numbers. Cornell knows that most people above their medians end up going to Duke, Northwestern, Georgetown or MVP.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”