Transferring into JD/MBA programs as an L1 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
entertainme

New

Transferring into JD/MBA programs as an L1

Post by entertainme » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:31 am

I applied this cycle to the top 20 LS (in at 13-20) and am planning on pursuing a JD/MBA (haven't applied to any joint or MBA programs). I'm not expecting to get in anywhere else based on my #'s and I'm happy to attend a 13-20 from the LS perspective. From the BS perspective, I think it's worthwhile to make a play for HBS or SBS if possible. Given my circumstances, I have two questions:

1. How does transferring into JD/MBA programs work? Is it possible? If I'm a Cornell L1, is it theoretically possible to transfer to HLS/HBS joint program?

2. Is it possible to apply to an MBA program during L1 other than at that L1 school's BS and get a JD/MBA in 4 years? For example, UCLA L1 applies to SBS and gets a UCLA JD/SBS MBA in 4 years?

Any insight is much appreciated.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Transferring into JD/MBA programs as an L1

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:39 am

1) It's 1L.

2) It varies from school to school. Some schools will let you apply for a joint JD/MBA during your 1L year, some require you to be admitted to both schools immediately. You'll have to look up the rules at the specific school you're admitted to.

3) I don't know what an HBS or SBS are so I can't really answer the rest of what you're asking.

entertainme

New

Re: Transferring into JD/MBA programs as an L1

Post by entertainme » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:49 am

1. Thanks. First post error...

2. I will prob end up having to do this but would be great to get some info here. Do you happen to know the policy for any of the top programs?

3. HBS = Harvard Business School
SBS = Stanford Business School

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”