Poor Standardized Test Taker Addendum Content?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
farszandian

Poor Standardized Test Taker Addendum Content?

Postby farszandian » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:35 pm

I've been searching the forums for an answer to my questions below to no avail.

I will be submitting an addendum stating that my 153 LSAT isn't indicative of my true abilities or potential success in law school given my 1010 SAT/3.56 UGPA and 1020 GRE/3.91 Grad GPA.

Is this all I should say? Should I explain why I don't do well on standardized tests or how I manage to do well in school despite poor standardized test scores?

Sorry if this has been answered before.

Thanks, all! :)

im_blue

Re: Poor Standardized Test Taker Addendum Content?

Postby im_blue » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:46 pm

farszandian wrote:I will be submitting an addendum stating that my 153 LSAT isn't indicative of my true abilities or potential success in law school given my 1010 SAT/3.56 UGPA and 1020 GRE/3.91 Grad GPA.

This information by itself doesn't show that you overperform standardized test scores. For comparison, you should also point out the average test scores at your undergrad/grad programs and maybe average GPA as well. I mean, if you had a 1010 SAT but your undergrad's average was a 950, then a 3.5 GPA isn't really that impressive, right?

bees

Postby bees » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:00 am

A 3.5 isn't super impressive and grad school GPAs are inflated so even though you may be a poor standardized test taker I don't think the GPA argument is going to help you/convince schools toadmit you.

farszandian

Postby farszandian » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:22 pm

Thanks for the input.

You're both right. The GPAs aren't super impressive. But I figure why not submit the addendum. What do I have to lose? With that, do you think that merely submitting my stats is enough? Should I include anything else to bolster my case?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:30 pm

farszandian wrote:Thanks for the input.

You're both right. The GPAs aren't super impressive. But I figure why not submit the addendum. What do I have to lose? With that, do you think that merely submitting my stats is enough? Should I include anything else to bolster my case?

Evidence that you outperform your standardized test scores?

What major was your GPA in, from what school? What's your class rank? You need something to build the case that you're not just a mediocre test taker, but one who outperforms their test scores.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:38 pm

farszandian wrote:Thanks for the input.

Submit actual copies of your scores if you want credibility. And I don't know if those scores are going to prove you under-perform. Lots of people score under 1000 on the GRE.

I can't think of any ways to do this, but can you prove somehow that you prepared for those tests? If I was working admissions and saw a bunch of addendums like this, I would probably suspect that inadequate preparation was a factor in most cases.

Do you have multiple LSATs and a 153 is the highest?

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:43 pm

bees wrote:A 3.5 isn't super impressive and grad school GPAs are inflated so even though you may be a poor standardized test taker I don't think the GPA argument is going to help you/convince schools toadmit you.

This.

If all you have is "I suck at tests," I doubt an addendum would help.

farszandian

Postby farszandian » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:29 pm

Good info, guys. Appreciate the help!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”