family friend Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sternc

Bronze

family friend

Post by sternc » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:16 pm

I got wait-listed at UVA. I am going to go about the whole wait list thing pretty aggresively with LOCI's, a visit, etc. I have a family friend's sister that is a high ranking person at UVA undergrad. My family is pretty close, going back to my grandparents, with this woman's sister and her husband, though I have only met the women at UVA (the family friend's sister) one time. I want to send her an email asking for her advice and what she thinks I should do. I know asking her to write a rec. could only end with a yes or no, so Im not that worried, but will she just think it is dumb that I'm asking her for a rec when I really don't know her? Should I sort of slow play it, maybe setting up some sort of meeting, and then eventually ask for a rec? What do y'all think? Also, how big of a help would this be, assuming she did write me a good rec?

sundevil77

Bronze

Re: family friend

Post by sundevil77 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:21 pm

I think the general consensus is that good LORs will come from people who actually know you and can give some type of insight into what type of person you are. If you are going to ask this woman for a LOR, I would meet with her in-person before asking.

As to what effect it might have...I think a solid LOR from a high ranking UG person could be beneficial, assuming that the law school adcomms know who she is.

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:28 pm

it won't really make a difference. If you know one of the deans, or this high ranking person knows someone that knows the deans, then try those connections.

One of my friends had a letter from a chief justice (to get off the waitlist at UVA). Actually, she was good friends with a PHD psych student at UVA (whose father is one of the chief justices of the supreme court). Google it if you want... I'm not giving you more info. but she still didn't get in.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:01 pm

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:14 pm

my old threads and I are on a roll today.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... t+off+a+WL

it's a really really interesting subject.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”