I will never doubt TLS again

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rundoxierun

I will never doubt TLS again

Postby rundoxierun » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:09 pm

Last edited by rundoxierun on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gochrisgo

Re: I will never doubt TLS again

Postby gochrisgo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:16 pm

_
Last edited by gochrisgo on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:18 pm

tkgrrett wrote:So after having TLS telling me I was an idiot for considering using a consulting service, I checked with an admission officer from a tier-4 school that I know. He told me that there really wasnt much of a need for me to use a consulting service with my academic profile and background. Last night I e-mailed the consultant to let her know that I changed my mind about using her service because I didn't think it would be much use to me since Im not a Harvard/Yale or bust type guy.

Her response... "Yes, that's true; the only thing I could do for you is find the most appropriate place to discuss your father's circumstances." Infreakingcredible. My father has been serving a life sentence in prison since I was about 3 years old. Unless she was going to advise me to write an addendum explaining away the last 18 years of my life, I think I could figure out where to discuss it myself.

Again TLS, sorry I doubted you...

I'm glad we got you straightened out.

Have fun wherever you want to go!

eshort

Postby eshort » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:21 pm

I am glad you have decided to go without the consultant. Your stats are incredible and you have a good story to tell (if I remember correctly from the other thread); no reason to waste the money.
Good luck in your LS endeavors!

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:30 pm

Thanks all.. Im just pissed because she didnt even try to argue that she would be useful.. I feel like I just almost got scammed.. I feel like one of those people who invest in one of those get rich schemes on tv or who attend those "get rich like me" seminars..

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:31 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Thanks all.. Im just pissed because she didnt even try to argue that she would be useful.. I feel like I just almost got scammed.. I feel like one of those people who invest in one of those get rich schemes on tv or who attend those "get rich like me" seminars..

You're still going to law school

rookhawk

Postby rookhawk » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:40 pm

Last edited by rookhawk on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eshort

Postby eshort » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:48 pm

Rook,
You just made me more curious! If you don't mind:
When did you apply; if that has already happened how did it go?

Did you also write a diversity statement or some other sort of addendum? It seems to me like some of those other things, while not necessarily relevant to your immediate success in law school, can say something about the type of person you are to overcome them and CERTAINLY differentiate you from others applying to law school. I am almost shocked that you would leave it all out and paint a picture of you that may not be accurate (not saying this is what you did).
Also, some of the others just seem like good things to say (lobbyist/passionate, nonprofit orgs).

Would be happy to discuss this over PM if you are more comfortable (if you are at all).

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:20 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Her response... "Yes, that's true; the only thing I could do for you is find the most appropriate place to discuss your father's circumstances."

What the hell does that even mean? Good to hear you ditched the service. A scam indeed.

I must be a true novice about this stuff because I didn't even know there were law school admissions "consultants." Maybe I'm old fashioned, but it seems like if you can't put together your own application, you're not really ready for something like law school.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:39 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Thanks all.. Im just pissed because she didnt even try to argue that she would be useful.. I feel like I just almost got scammed.. I feel like one of those people who invest in one of those get rich schemes on tv or who attend those "get rich like me" seminars..

You're still going to law school

Hahahaha

Good call, all you need is TLS and few other resources. Best of luck!

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:02 pm

j.wellington wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Her response... "Yes, that's true; the only thing I could do for you is find the most appropriate place to discuss your father's circumstances."

What the hell does that even mean? Good to hear you ditched the service. A scam indeed.

I must be a true novice about this stuff because I didn't even know there were law school admissions "consultants." Maybe I'm old fashioned, but it seems like if you can't put together your own application, you're not really ready for something like law school.

In the days before the internet, I'm sure they were invaluable. Knowing which schools to apply to, knowing how to write an effective PS, knowing when to write an addendum.

Hell just know how much the LSAT is worth.

Law school admissions are extremely different than most grad programs.

Though with sites like TLS, and law school numbers, the need is gone.

devilishangelrjp

Postby devilishangelrjp » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:10 pm

j.wellington wrote:

Yeah, I got the cheapest Kaplan package which was like 3 hours with a consultant...It helped a little, but nothing that I probably couldn't figure out myself.

sapp

Postby sapp » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:17 pm

I have a consultant story!

I talked to a consultant early in the cycle. (Just casually, not as a paid service or anything.)

At that point I had applied to two schools and the consultant essentially told me I was stupid for applying to those places bc I'd never get in to either.

Two weeks after the consultant told me that I got accepted to one of those two schools with $$. I made sure to let the consultant know. :) Still waiting to hear back on the other one of those two schools

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”