WHAT THE HELL IS TAKING SO LONG Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Andrew the Wolverine

Bronze

WHAT THE HELL IS TAKING SO LONG

Post by Andrew the Wolverine » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:22 pm

It's been about 11 weeks since I applied to all my schools, and I still haven't heard back from most of them. I was told by several of them that I would hear back within 6-8 weeks, but so far nothing. Is it possible that my February LSAT re-take is causing them to delay a decision? Or is this length of time for a decision perfectly normal?

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Re: WHAT THE HELL IS TAKING SO LONG

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:26 pm

Likely the Feb retake, which means you won't get a decision until after the scores come up (late feb).

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:26 pm

The answer to your last two question is "Yes."

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:27 pm

a) I'm pretty sure that most if not all schools put your file on hold if you register for an lsat. Do you really want them making a decision on your application if your application will be (hopefully) improving with a new lsat score? Why retake if you don't want them to hold off?

B) 11 weeks, while a long time, is by no means unusual.

Marisa5252

New

Post by Marisa5252 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:57 pm

Geist13 wrote:a) I'm pretty sure that most if not all schools put your file on hold if you register for an lsat. Do you really want them making a decision on your application if your application will be (hopefully) improving with a new lsat score? Why retake if you don't want them to hold off?

titcr
Also, are you URM? or a splitter? Schools tend to hold onto these applications longer...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:00 pm

Not strange at all. I've got apps at Duke, Cornell, Notre Dame, Indiana, WUSTL, and Texas that have just been sitting for 10.5 weeks.

Andrew the Wolverine

Bronze

Post by Andrew the Wolverine » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:06 pm

Marisa5252 wrote:
Geist13 wrote:a) I'm pretty sure that most if not all schools put your file on hold if you register for an lsat. Do you really want them making a decision on your application if your application will be (hopefully) improving with a new lsat score? Why retake if you don't want them to hold off?

titcr
Also, are you URM? or a splitter? Schools tend to hold onto these applications longer...
Yes, actually, both.

ryguy

Bronze

Post by ryguy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:11 pm

It's your Feb. re-take for sure. They know you are registered, and will wait, unless you ask them not to.

evergirl23

Bronze

Post by evergirl23 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:27 pm

It might be your Feb retake, it might not. I called every school I applied to and asked if they would have to auto-hold if I registered for a Feb retake. Most of them said they would not hold unless I specifically asked them to. A couple did say they would auto-hold, a couple others said I needed to let them know what I wanted them to do either way. Since I am only retaking for a couple of my top schools, I was fine with letting most of my applications go complete with my earlier score. However, I would think that 11 weeks might not be all that long - I would be more concerned if its been 11 weeks and your file hasn't gone complete or had any movement at all. Is that the case, or is it just that you haven't received a decision?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Andrew the Wolverine

Bronze

Post by Andrew the Wolverine » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:28 pm

evergirl23 wrote:It might be your Feb retake, it might not. I called every school I applied to and asked if they would have to auto-hold if I registered for a Feb retake. Most of them said they would not hold unless I specifically asked them to. A couple did say they would auto-hold, a couple others said I needed to let them know what I wanted them to do either way. Since I am only retaking for a couple of my top schools, I was fine with letting most of my applications go complete with my earlier score. However, I would think that 11 weeks might not be all that long - I would be more concerned if its been 11 weeks and your file hasn't gone complete or had any movement at all. Is that the case, or is it just that you haven't received a decision?
They are all complete, but there has been no movement for weeks besides that.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:31 pm

Gotta take into account the holidays/semester break...I think that adcomms had some time off? Correct me if I'm wrong...this is my wishful thinking as to why mine are taking a while.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”