WHAT THE HELL IS TAKING SO LONG

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Andrew the Wolverine
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:56 pm

WHAT THE HELL IS TAKING SO LONG

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:22 pm

It's been about 11 weeks since I applied to all my schools, and I still haven't heard back from most of them. I was told by several of them that I would hear back within 6-8 weeks, but so far nothing. Is it possible that my February LSAT re-take is causing them to delay a decision? Or is this length of time for a decision perfectly normal?

PoliticalJunkie
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: WHAT THE HELL IS TAKING SO LONG

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:26 pm

Likely the Feb retake, which means you won't get a decision until after the scores come up (late feb).

User avatar
WhiskeyGuy
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Re: WHAT THE HELL IS TAKING SO LONG

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:26 pm

The answer to your last two question is "Yes."

Geist13
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: WHAT THE HELL IS TAKING SO LONG

Postby Geist13 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:27 pm

a) I'm pretty sure that most if not all schools put your file on hold if you register for an lsat. Do you really want them making a decision on your application if your application will be (hopefully) improving with a new lsat score? Why retake if you don't want them to hold off?

B) 11 weeks, while a long time, is by no means unusual.

Marisa5252
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:14 am

Re: WHAT THE HELL IS TAKING SO LONG

Postby Marisa5252 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:57 pm

Geist13 wrote:a) I'm pretty sure that most if not all schools put your file on hold if you register for an lsat. Do you really want them making a decision on your application if your application will be (hopefully) improving with a new lsat score? Why retake if you don't want them to hold off?

B) 11 weeks, while a long time, is by no means unusual.



titcr
Also, are you URM? or a splitter? Schools tend to hold onto these applications longer...

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: WHAT THE HELL IS TAKING SO LONG

Postby holydonkey » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:00 pm

Not strange at all. I've got apps at Duke, Cornell, Notre Dame, Indiana, WUSTL, and Texas that have just been sitting for 10.5 weeks.

Andrew the Wolverine
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:56 pm

Re: WHAT THE HELL IS TAKING SO LONG

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:06 pm

Marisa5252 wrote:
Geist13 wrote:a) I'm pretty sure that most if not all schools put your file on hold if you register for an lsat. Do you really want them making a decision on your application if your application will be (hopefully) improving with a new lsat score? Why retake if you don't want them to hold off?

B) 11 weeks, while a long time, is by no means unusual.



titcr
Also, are you URM? or a splitter? Schools tend to hold onto these applications longer...


Yes, actually, both.

User avatar
ryguy
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:13 am

Re: WHAT THE HELL IS TAKING SO LONG

Postby ryguy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:11 pm

It's your Feb. re-take for sure. They know you are registered, and will wait, unless you ask them not to.

evergirl23
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: WHAT THE HELL IS TAKING SO LONG

Postby evergirl23 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:27 pm

It might be your Feb retake, it might not. I called every school I applied to and asked if they would have to auto-hold if I registered for a Feb retake. Most of them said they would not hold unless I specifically asked them to. A couple did say they would auto-hold, a couple others said I needed to let them know what I wanted them to do either way. Since I am only retaking for a couple of my top schools, I was fine with letting most of my applications go complete with my earlier score. However, I would think that 11 weeks might not be all that long - I would be more concerned if its been 11 weeks and your file hasn't gone complete or had any movement at all. Is that the case, or is it just that you haven't received a decision?

Andrew the Wolverine
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:56 pm

Re: WHAT THE HELL IS TAKING SO LONG

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:28 pm

evergirl23 wrote:It might be your Feb retake, it might not. I called every school I applied to and asked if they would have to auto-hold if I registered for a Feb retake. Most of them said they would not hold unless I specifically asked them to. A couple did say they would auto-hold, a couple others said I needed to let them know what I wanted them to do either way. Since I am only retaking for a couple of my top schools, I was fine with letting most of my applications go complete with my earlier score. However, I would think that 11 weeks might not be all that long - I would be more concerned if its been 11 weeks and your file hasn't gone complete or had any movement at all. Is that the case, or is it just that you haven't received a decision?


They are all complete, but there has been no movement for weeks besides that.

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: WHAT THE HELL IS TAKING SO LONG

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:31 pm

Gotta take into account the holidays/semester break...I think that adcomms had some time off? Correct me if I'm wrong...this is my wishful thinking as to why mine are taking a while.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hoy456, sarasashasara and 4 guests