Cardozo May Program 2010 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
law333

New

Re: Cardozo May Program 2010

Post by law333 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:16 pm

I was also waitlisted on Wednesday. I had been complete for about 2 months. It would be nice to get in, but it would be a big transition to move with out much notice. Do you know if they have also put people on hold for the may program or just waitlisting?

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:51 pm

Spots will open up after tomorrow, which is the deadline for the first batch of May accepted students to send in their non-refundable $1000 deposit. So, people should be hearing next week who are on the waitlist.

pulitzerprize1

New

Post by pulitzerprize1 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:34 pm

bernie shmegma wrote:Spots will open up after tomorrow, which is the deadline for the first batch of May accepted students to send in their non-refundable $1000 deposit. So, people should be hearing next week who are on the waitlist.
YES! fingers crossed!

um08

New

Post by um08 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:40 am

bernie shmegma wrote:Spots will open up after tomorrow, which is the deadline for the first batch of May accepted students to send in their non-refundable $1000 deposit. So, people should be hearing next week who are on the waitlist.
The waitlist? How about my original decision!!

joonhp

Bronze

Post by joonhp » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:48 am

I don't think there's waitlist movement until all applications have been reviewed..no?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

um08

New

Post by um08 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:49 am

joonhp wrote:I don't think there's waitlist movement until all applications have been reviewed..no?
That is what I would assume

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:23 pm

um08 wrote:
Well, what I meant is that those who have not found out are on an unofficial waitlist anyway obviously. They have to wait to see who will respond to the March 26th deadline for the first batch of applicants they want most. Those who decline will free up flexibility for admissions to accept more applicants. The whole thing is in such a short time period when they review May applicants that sending an official "waitlist" decision makes no logistical sense. Thus, my predication is that next week the rest of May applicants will start to find out because today is the March 26th deadline.

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:25 pm

BTW is anyone that is waiting to go to/hear from Cardozo choosing to pay full sticker starting in May over another school that is in-state or not full-sticker?
Last edited by bernie shmegma on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

um08

New

Post by um08 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:26 pm

bernie shmegma wrote:
um08 wrote:
Well, what I meant is that those who have not found out are on an unofficial waitlist anyway obviously. They have to wait to see who will respond to the March 26th deadline for the first batch of applicants they want most. Those who decline will free up flexibility for admissions to accept more applicants. The whole thing is in such a short time period when they review May applicants that sending an official "waitlist" decision makes no logistical sense. Thus, my predication is that next week the rest of May applicants will start to find out because today is the March 26th deadline.

Well I hope you are correct. Unforunately you are assuming that their process makes any logicstical sense.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:35 pm

um08 wrote:
bernie shmegma wrote:
um08 wrote:

Well I hope you are correct. Unforunately you are assuming that their process makes any logicstical sense.
I don't think such a shrewd organization such as Cardozo does much at all aimlessly and be rest assure the rationalization behind the May admissions process is no exception, however inconvenient it may be to students who have two months to move to NY. The May program by nature causes logistical problems for anxious students and the way they handle it adjusts for that. I mean, if I were them I would start May applicants earlier altogether, but their priority is not alternative entry program students that pay full sticker, its retaining regular admissions students who they must entice to attend. If you do the math, 100 May students paying 45K with mediocre statstics probably pay for attracting 200 regular students with $20,000ish in scholarship and higher stats, liklihood of success, higher curve, competitive alumni, etc. etc. They know 100 students for May will be easy to retain because they are the ones who desperately want to go to a school that has figured out a way to affiliate its good name. So, I don't think they are worried about timing overall and they put it off until Feb. or March. Then they hear from the first batch and continue on the line of the next batch of peopl who really want to go to Cardozo. So Yes, I assume their process makes logistical sense.

um08

New

Post by um08 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:32 pm

I don't think such a shrewd organization such as Cardozo does much at all aimlessly and be rest assure the rationalization behind the May admissions process is no exception, however inconvenient it may be to students who have two months to move to NY. The May program by nature causes logistical problems for anxious students and the way they handle it adjusts for that. I mean, if I were them I would start May applicants earlier altogether, but their priority is not alternative entry program students that pay full sticker, its retaining regular admissions students who they must entice to attend. If you do the math, 100 May students paying 45K with mediocre statstics probably pay for attracting 200 regular students with $20,000ish in scholarship and higher stats, liklihood of success, higher curve, competitive alumni, etc. etc. They know 100 students for May will be easy to retain because they are the ones who desperately want to go to a school that has figured out a way to affiliate its good name. So, I don't think they are worried about timing overall and they put it off until Feb. or March. Then they hear from the first batch and continue on the line of the next batch of peopl who really want to go to Cardozo. So Yes, I assume their process makes logistical sense.[/quote]

You are totally right. How did I not see it that way before?!

joonhp

Bronze

Post by joonhp » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:44 pm

application received, complete and in review all in the same day...~ atleast since school starts in may i'll be hearing back relatively soon...although i have heard about the horror of some californians getting off waitlist 3 days before classes start

sdb444

New

Post by sdb444 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:40 pm

Last edited by sdb444 on Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

um08

New

Post by um08 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:55 am

sdb444 wrote:Just got the waitlist email this afternoon. Complete on 1/11. Cardozo is one of my top choices so I'm happy to even be considered. The email said they will maintain the unranked waitlst until March 25, which is also the first day of class. Now I wait...
Assume you mean May 25th?

Inez090

New

Post by Inez090 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:54 pm

bernie shmegma wrote:BTW is anyone that is waiting to go to/hear from Cardozo choosing to pay full sticker starting in May over another school that is in-state or not full-sticker?
I chose Cardozo over 10k yr St. Johns and 25k year hofstra.

Stilll waiting on Brooklyn many months later and lost patience.

zimbadimp

New

Post by zimbadimp » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:09 pm

Chose Cardozo over $90,000 Hofstra

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:43 pm

Inez090 wrote:
bernie shmegma wrote:BTW is anyone that is waiting to go to/hear from Cardozo choosing to pay full sticker starting in May over another school that is in-state or not full-sticker?

Well I think I'll be withdrawing from there soon so there's an extra spot and 25K for you hopefully.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Inez090

New

Post by Inez090 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:21 pm

bernie shmegma wrote:
Inez090 wrote:

Well I think I'll be withdrawing from there soon so there's an extra spot and 25K for you hopefully.
From Cardozo or Brooklyn?

dhg5004

Bronze

Post by dhg5004 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:39 am

I recently have applied to the May program... not great numbers... 155 LSAT and 3.3 GPA (3.67 major GPA) but have a lot of work experience/internships etc. Also had a really strong personal statement. And I'm gay...I'm not sure if that can help or hurt me though lol.

I applied at the start of March...any idea when I'll hear? I need to give NYLS my decision by April 16th (or april 23rd they can extend it a week upon request) and i received scholarship money from them...I'm also waiting to hear from Temple...And Cardozo and Temple are my number 1 and 2 respectively.

Anyone know when I'd hear? Would I really not hear until May? That seems ridiculous... blah.

um08

New

Post by um08 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:28 pm

dhg5004 wrote:I recently have applied to the May program... not great numbers... 155 LSAT and 3.3 GPA (3.67 major GPA) but have a lot of work experience/internships etc. Also had a really strong personal statement. And I'm gay...I'm not sure if that can help or hurt me though lol.

I applied at the start of March...any idea when I'll hear? I need to give NYLS my decision by April 16th (or april 23rd they can extend it a week upon request) and i received scholarship money from them...I'm also waiting to hear from Temple...And Cardozo and Temple are my number 1 and 2 respectively.

Anyone know when I'd hear? Would I really not hear until May? That seems ridiculous... blah.
Ya, unfortunately you probably won't hear for a while. I have been complete since 1/15 and have not heard a thing. There are stories floating around of people who heard back last year within the week before classes started.

dhg5004

Bronze

Post by dhg5004 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:53 pm

Ya, unfortunately you probably won't hear for a while. I have been complete since 1/15 and have not heard a thing. There are stories floating around of people who heard back last year within the week before classes started.

Yeah. So I've heard. I guess I'm going to just have to eat the 300 dollar deposit i'll be putting down with NYLS. Sucks though because I would like to let my employer know when I'll be leaving...and they think I'm leaving at the end of August for a fall entry.... the whole situation really sucks. I'd also have to find a place to live in NYC....and apply for the grad plus loans through Cardozo once hearing...

bah!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

um08

New

Post by um08 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:26 am

Admissions was closed Tuesday/Wednesday.. hopefully they are back up and getting through those apps now

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:34 am

um08 wrote:Admissions was closed Tuesday/Wednesday.. hopefully they are back up and getting through those apps now
I called Admissions this morning with a question, so they are definitely there today. The woman I spoke with did mention that they will be closed next week on Monday and Tuesday as well.

knickfan

Bronze

Post by knickfan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:43 pm

WL via email today complete 1/12

i doubt im going to go-cmonnnn 40k a year-no scholarship for may program....

pulitzerprize1

New

Post by pulitzerprize1 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:05 pm

Withdraw please asap!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”