To go or not to go Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Take it or not

Take the job
89%
Don't take the job
11%

Total votes: 35

fathergoose

Silver

To go or not to go

Post by fathergoose » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:00 pm

I need some counsel if any of you would be generous enough to weigh in.

I was offered a full time position today with the big bank (one of the 5 biggest by market cap) that I interned with over the summer. It isn't for the position I hoped to be hired for but it is a decent job making decent money (45k in a low COL area). My boss knows that I applied to schools and pitched it to me that if I worked for a couple of years the bank would pick up the tab on my JD if I wanted to go back.

I haven't heard (yes or no) from any of the 9 schools I applied to but most of them are in the 20-50 range. Short of UVA taking pity on my Hail Mary ED app, is there any compelling reason to not go work for 2 or 3 years and apply again when I'm 25/26?

Also will companies really pay for you to go back to LS? I've heard about that for people to go get their MBA but not LS. And if they do pick up the tab for your graduate degree, what are the stipulations?

Also as an added note, on top of the bank gig I could continue to teach standardized test prep on weekends and probably bring in another 8-15k a year.

Thanks in advance

kareenak888

New

Re: To go or not to go

Post by kareenak888 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:04 pm

you should be in uva if you wait an apply next year. I am guessing you did well on your lsats so you should ed again. Why don't you wait a year?

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:05 pm

It sounds like your not one percent invested in becoming a lawyer right now. Take the job. You're young. See if it's what you like to do. Make some money, and see how the economy moves.

No need to rush yourself into debt.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:05 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:07 pm

You have to look at the tax consequenses for you of them paying for the JD... You would need to look further into it.

As a practical matter... Waiting out the worst recession in history with a 40K+ job gaining some useful non-legal experience is not the worst thing in the world...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jjones73

New

Post by jjones73 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:12 pm

I would take the job. Work exp will be a good soft factor for when you decide to apply in a few years. Plus, it will give you time to save some money in the case you don't get scholarships.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:13 pm

I am a 170+ splitter which is how I landed the prep job. I know I want to go to LS, it isn't a passing fancy. It's got nothing to do with doing big law $$ or clerkship prestige, I've known since I was in HS that I wanted to study the law.

My hesitation comes from my pragmatic side that says to take the bird in the bag and not to chase the two in the bush.

In theory I could take the LSAT again, I have gotten a lot better at it after teaching it for the last 6 months but does 3 or 4 points make that big of a difference in the 170s? at that point you are talking about a couple question difference.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:16 pm

fathergoose wrote:I am a 170+ splitter which is how I landed the prep job. I know I want to go to LS, it isn't a passing fancy. It's got nothing to do with doing big law $$ or clerkship prestige, I've known since I was in HS that I wanted to study the law.

My hesitation comes from my pragmatic side that says to take the bird in the bag and not to chase the two in the bush.

In theory I could take the LSAT again, I have gotten a lot better at it after teaching it for the last 6 months but does 3 or 4 points make that big of a difference in the 170s? at that point you are talking about a couple question difference.
How bad of a splitter are you? What is your GPA and LSAT.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:18 pm

I've got very unique softs and great LORs
Last edited by fathergoose on Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:21 pm

fathergoose wrote:171 sub 3.0 splitter but I've got very unique softs and great LORs
To be blunt, your chances in the t14 are not good.

A 173/sub 3.0, with two years of work experience in a bank who applies ED to Northwestern will get in almost every time.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:27 pm

I have a similar issue. If it's a job you want or something you're interested in, and you think you can improve your application over the next few years ... there is no rule saying just because you applied and may get into some decent schools that you HAVE to go to law school this year.

I know that doesn't make it any easier, I've been telling myself the same thing and still haven't decided what I'm going to do.

btl-mba

New

Post by btl-mba » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:29 pm

[quote="fathergoose"]I need some counsel if any of you would be generous enough to weigh in.

I was offered a full time position today with the big bank (one of the 5 biggest by market cap) that I interned with over the summer. It isn't for the position I hoped to be hired for but it is a decent job making decent money (45k in a low COL area). My boss knows that I applied to schools and pitched it to me that if I worked for a couple of years the bank would pick up the tab on my JD if I wanted to go back.
.....>............

Job, ask for a written commitment to help with JD expenses

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
fathergoose wrote:171 and I've got very unique softs and great LORs

A 173/sub 3.0, with two years of work experience in a bank who applies ED to Northwestern will get in almost every time.

I am under no false illusion about my t14 chances. UVA is the only one I applied to and only then because of the ED and I have fee waivers.

The job isn't something I'd particularly enjoy but I lost that privilege when I bombed my UG GPA.
Last edited by fathergoose on Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JRMjr

Bronze

Post by JRMjr » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:34 pm

100% wait. job experience will give your resume a boost, youll have college and work rec's, it would be..... subsidized. CLEARLY work and then go back

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:36 pm

fathergoose wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
fathergoose wrote:171 sub 3.0 splitter but I've got very unique softs and great LORs

I am under no false illusion about my t14 chances. UVA is the only one I applied to and only then because of the ED and I have fee waivers.

The job isn't something I'd particularly enjoy but I lost that privilege when I bombed my UG GPA.
If I were you I'd take it, start saving for law school and ED to Northwestern next year, and if you don't get in ED the year after. If you don't get it then you'll have some cash for law school so you might be able to get a half scholarship at UIUC or WUSTL.

Law school anywhere but the very best schools is just too risky for people with our TTT GPA. We don't have at track record of doing what it takes to succeed.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Law school anywhere but the very best schools is just too risky for people with our TTT GPA. We don't have at track record of doing what it takes to succeed.

This is what terrifies me. I believe whole heartedly that I'll be able to turn on the after burners in LS and finish top 10% but I break into cold sweats thinking about graduating median or below at a non t14 with no real WE, no technical background, and a pile of debt.

Woozy

Bronze

Post by Woozy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:12 pm

My advice: Take the job, it'll be good for you.

TCR: Don't take life advice from an internet forum.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Marisa5252

New

Post by Marisa5252 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:23 pm

fathergoose wrote:I am a 170+ splitter which is how I landed the prep job. I know I want to go to LS, it isn't a passing fancy. It's got nothing to do with doing big law $$ or clerkship prestige, I've known since I was in HS that I wanted to study the law.

yes. I currently have a 173 and was only one question away from a 175 - I'm now expecting a WL e-mail from my top choice that I'll end up riding out when a 175 would probably have gotten me an accept. For a number of reasons it makes sense for me to go next year even if I don't get into that school. For you, with a good job, prospects of little/no debt from school, and the possibility to get into a better school after achieving a slightly higher LSAT score and a couple years WE, it definitely makes sense to wait a couple years.

Also - coming from someone who's spent almost 2 years now in the working world. I LOVED working when I started - it was great to not have to bring work home. But now I'm completely and totally ready to go back to school and I'll be a better student for it.

The Zeppelin

Bronze

Post by The Zeppelin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:29 pm

Marisa5252 wrote:Also - coming from someone who's spent almost 2 years now in the working world. I LOVED working when I started - it was great to not have to bring work home. But now I'm completely and totally ready to go back to school and I'll be a better student for it.
So you're already tired of working? Good luck after graduation.

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:30 pm

fathergoose wrote: My boss knows that I applied to schools and pitched it to me that if I worked for a couple of years the bank would pick up the tab on my JD if I wanted to go back.
I'd get this in writing.... also, it's quite easy to be driven out right before (or during) you're applying to law schools or worse, while you're actually in school.

I wouldn't count on the $$$ from any employer.... perhaps even especially a bank.

While you were in school you'd have to keep your work the #1 priority because they'd be paying your ticket. That's too much control, if you asked me. Also, even if they did pick up the tab, it might be binding in some sense or you'd have to pay it back if you left, didn't work for them for xx number of years afterwards, etc. I would get ALL the details of this offer before using it as a consideration to go or not.

Marisa5252

New

Post by Marisa5252 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:13 pm

The Zeppelin wrote:
Marisa5252 wrote:Also - coming from someone who's spent almost 2 years now in the working world. I LOVED working when I started - it was great to not have to bring work home. But now I'm completely and totally ready to go back to school and I'll be a better student for it.
So you're already tired of working? Good luck after graduation.

haha no - working itself doesn't bother me - I'm just done working in a field that has little to do with what I want to do (law) and in a job that provides absolutely no opportunity for moving up... Basically I'm just sick of not feeling challenged at all....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:56 pm

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:29 pm

I've heard of employers paying for people to go to law school, but they were exceptional employees. Not that you won't be. Just don't take for granted now that they'll one day pay your tuition. You will also probably be obligated to work for them for a certain period after you graduate or pay them back. Just something to consider.

That said, take the job. Earning $45K out of college is a very good position to be in in this economy, and it'll give you time to make sure you really do want to go to law school. Even if they don't pay your way, you can save up some funds on that salary so the debt burden is lighter.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:39 pm

Take the job and ED at Northwestern in 2 years.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:43 pm

j.wellington wrote:I've heard of employers paying for people to go to law school, but they were exceptional employees. Not that you won't be. Just don't take for granted now that they'll one day pay your tuition. You will also probably be obligated to work for them for a certain period after you graduate or pay them back. Just something to consider.

That said, take the job. Earning $45K out of college is a very good position to be in in this economy, and it'll give you time to make sure you really do want to go to law school. Even if they don't pay your way, you can save up some funds on that salary so the debt burden is lighter.
when employers pay for MBA it is usually part time as well..your boss may be expecting that (wants you to go PT at the local law school). i wouldn't count on your firm forking over 150k to pay for your northwestern jd without any serious strings attached.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”