Specific scholarship negotiation question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
soda mayor
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:06 pm

Specific scholarship negotiation question

Postby soda mayor » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:48 pm

So as it stands, my list is

Fordham- accepted
Cardozo- 32k annually
Brooklyn- accepted but money is offered in march (Im assuming close to full)
Bu- pending
NYLS- admitted with scholarship (im assuming full)

164/3.9

I really do want to attend cardozo bc i don't need Biglaw and want to live in NY. I know the 32k is generous as it is but would it be possible to ask for more or will the office see me as being greedy?

Also, is it possible to use the offers I have receieved as leverage or am I not in such a good position to ask for more?

Finally, should I wait to hear back from Brooklyn and BU before making my move?

Any advice will be appreciated

User avatar
Kiersten1985
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: Specific scholarship negotiation question

Postby Kiersten1985 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:50 pm

You should wait for BU and your other offers and then ask Cardozo if there's anything else they can do for you. Don't worry about looking greedy - you're going into law, for cripes sake.

The worst thing that happens is they say they can't offer you anymore. You really have nothing to lose by asking. It's not like they're going to revoke your acceptance. I would still wait on the other offers though because it's good to have leverage.

User avatar
Aeroplane
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: Specific scholarship negotiation question

Postby Aeroplane » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:53 pm

Does the Cardozo offer have a GPA stipulation? If so, you should try to negotiate that away.

soda mayor
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Specific scholarship negotiation question

Postby soda mayor » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:07 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:You should wait for BU and your other offers and then ask Cardozo if there's anything else they can do for you. Don't worry about looking greedy - you're going into law, for cripes sake.

The worst thing that happens is they say they can't offer you anymore. You really have nothing to lose by asking. It's not like they're going to revoke your acceptance. I would still wait on the other offers though because it's good to have leverage.


I agree, but then how do i got about using those offeres? Do i say I was accepted at at Fordham and BU and got more money from Brooklyn, so would you consider giving me more? Obvisouly, i wont phrase it like that but i feel like mentioning other schools makes me seem like a douche. How would you phrase something like that?

soda mayor
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Specific scholarship negotiation question

Postby soda mayor » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:58 pm

bump

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: Specific scholarship negotiation question

Postby MURPH » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:23 am

Ask them. Tell them about your other offers. It isn't rude unless you are rude about it. They will ask to see it in writing most likely. Don't worry about mentioning other schools. They will need to know which schools offered you and how much before they adjust your scholarships.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests