Does It Hurt To Apply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
spets

Does It Hurt To Apply?

Postby spets » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:22 pm

I'm pretty set on taking a year off and retaking the LSAT. But I was curious, would it be detrimental if I were to apply to a few schools anyways? In other words, say I applied to a school and I didn't get the merit aid I wanted - would they look down on me if I rejected their offer and then reapplied the next cycle?

Thanks.

Sauer Grapes

Re: Does It Hurt To Apply?

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:23 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:24 pm

I asked Mellancamp this same question. He told me it Hurts So Good.

*Womp womp*

spets

Postby spets » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:14 pm

Hurts So Good is a great song. And self-contradictory. So I'm just going to assume it's a bad thing.

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:37 pm

LawandOrder wrote:I asked Mellancamp this same question. He told me it Hurts So Good.

*Womp womp*

ROFL

gocubs2010

Postby gocubs2010 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:04 pm

spets wrote:I'm pretty set on taking a year off and retaking the LSAT. But I was curious, would it be detrimental if I were to apply to a few schools anyways? In other words, say I applied to a school and I didn't get the merit aid I wanted - would they look down on me if I rejected their offer and then reapplied the next cycle?

Thanks.

I don't think it would be a big problem. If that school were to really blow you away with an offer of financial aid, then go now. If not, go next year. Just tell them you weren't in a position financially at that time to attend. besides there are thousands of apps every year so unless you are frighteningly unique this is little chance they remember you at all. the only thing you might lose this year would be the money for app fees and lsdas reports.

Bulls

Postby Bulls » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:07 pm

I feel like most, if not all, my applications have asked whether I have previously applied to School X and what the result was.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:27 pm

My question is why would you apply to a school knowing that even if you received merit aid from them you would turn them down? I don't think anything GOOD can come from applying to a school, being accepted, turning them down, and then reapplying next semester, so I'm not sure why you would take the risk. I'm guessing there is still a chance big money could persuade you?

Although, to actually answer your question, no I don't think it would be a big deal.

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:17 am

I'm mulling this over as well. I haven't heard back from anyone yet, but there are a handful of legitimate personal reasons that might lead me to put things off a year regardless. If it comes to that, I'm planning to write a very honest letter to the dean this year saying that I would like to attend their law school, but am not yet ready to make that kind of commitment this fall for reasons XYZ. If a deferral is not practical, they can expect to see my application next year.

I have no idea how they might look on that, but my hope of course is that they'll appreciate the candor.

vandalvideo

Postby vandalvideo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:22 am

Deferrred, isn't it an option?

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:05 pm

vandalvideo wrote:Deferrred, isn't it an option?

The conventional wisdom seems to be that deferrals are rare and and only granted in response to extreme circumstances.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”