Soft factors: Dual Degree vs. Double Major

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
derwin

Soft factors: Dual Degree vs. Double Major

Postby derwin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:36 pm

Hey, I have a question for the TLS echo chamber:
What (if any) do you think the difference is between a Dual Degree and a Double Major?

The reason I ask is b.c. I will graduate next semester 3 credits short of a dual degree, and I was wondering if you thought it might be worth my while to add that extra course and graduate with two diplomas.

Thanks!

- Derwin

P.S. My target schools are UPenn, Mich and UVA, I've a comparably weak GPA (3.32ish) and medium/good LSAT (171)
Last edited by derwin on Sun May 23, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wadeny

Re: Soft factors: Dual Degree vs. Double Major

Postby wadeny » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:14 pm

Neither will matter - just take whatever classes you can to boost your GPA. I mean, if you ever want to go to grad school for Physics/Math, it might matter, but not for LS.

As an aside, you should think about applying ED to at least one of the schools you listed. Right now, you're borderline with your #s, but ED might help your odds.

Nat1018

Postby Nat1018 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:30 pm

I don't think "neither will matter". I have a dual degree and I may be biased, but I think it shows an extra level of hard work during undergrad as opposed to a double major which a lot of people have. good luck

drsomebody

Postby drsomebody » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:38 pm

I doubt it makes that much of a difference. I agree with wadeny that you should take a few classes that will boost your GPA if at all possible - can you delay graduation until after summer and take a few more classes? enough to get the dual degree *and* some easy classes that will boost your GPA? That would be a win-win situation.

Just my .02

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”