School asks for addendum, but the score jump is only 5 pts

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Stevematic

School asks for addendum, but the score jump is only 5 pts

Postby Stevematic » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:19 am

I was just wondering what I can write to them. They require an addendum if there is a jump of 5 or more points between LSAT scores. I mean I worked tons harder for my second LSAT, but I still think I could do better than I did. Also, the reason I think I did poorly on my first LSAT score was because I was in my final semester of school and I had a class that required a lot of reading and essay writing. However, I don't want to come off sounding as if I'm saying "This class was more important to me than the LSAT"

Trifles

Re: School asks for addendum, but the score jump is only 5 pts

Postby Trifles » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:34 am

Just write that you were better prepared the second time and that it is a better reflection of your abilities.

bees

Postby bees » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:37 am

People might call me crazy for saying this but:

Admissions people aren't stupid. They read ridiculous stuff every day that hopeful students submit that do nothing but make these students look like tools.

If I were you, especially after reading all the ridiculous addendums people have posted on TLS, I would say:

"I was unhappy with my first LSAT score and knew I was capable of scoring higher. Additional studying helped me raise my score by 5 (or however many) points. I believe this score is a truer reflection of my abilities."

If I were an adcom I would appreciate some honesty, instead of hearing you tell me you had the flu.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:59 am

Why not just say you took the first LSAT cold, and then performed better after familiarizing yourself with the test? Adcoms subscribe to some bullshit about the LSAT not measuring intelligence, and that you "prepare" for it rather than "study" for it.

bees

Postby bees » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:01 am

im_blue wrote:Why not just say you took the first LSAT cold, and then performed better after familiarizing yourself with the test? Adcoms subscribe to some bullshit about the LSAT not measuring intelligence, and that you "prepare" for it rather than "study" for it.

Because then he'd be lying. :shock:

Stevematic

Postby Stevematic » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:26 am

And...I know this is going to be a stupid question, but would it be appropriate to send this in e-mail format, as opposed to attaching it to my e-mail? I actually didn't realize that I needed an addendum for this, neglectful of me I know, until now (2 months after I sent in my application) when they e-mailed me asking for it.

Thanks for the responses by the way!

bees

Postby bees » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:01 am

Attachment.

Marisa5252

Postby Marisa5252 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:21 pm

bees wrote:
im_blue wrote:Why not just say you took the first LSAT cold, and then performed better after familiarizing yourself with the test? Adcoms subscribe to some bullshit about the LSAT not measuring intelligence, and that you "prepare" for it rather than "study" for it.

Because then he'd be lying. :shock:

Also - honestly if you take the LSAT cold and then actually put real effort into studying your score should probably jump more than 5 points.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”