first-time reports

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ek319

first-time reports

Postby ek319 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:15 pm

I recently submitted applications to a few of the schools on my list, though two of my [main] LORs are not yet in the system. In the meantime, however, LSAC has sent "first-time reports" to some of those schools, even though two of the LORs I assigned are missing.

Do schools start reviewing your app right away after reports are sent? Is it bad if they are looking at an somewhat incomplete application package? (the one letter that did go through is from my employer/internship supervisor for the last 7 months, while the other two are still missing are from professors/instructors)

Richie Tenenbaum

Re: first-time reports

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:24 pm

Depends on each schools requirements. Schools will generally not begin to review incomplete files (so if a school requires two LOR's then they will wait until they have at least 2 LOR's). Last year when I applied at least 1 school ignored their 2 minimum requirement though and I recieved a decision before my 2nd LOR was recieved.

ek319

Postby ek319 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:35 pm

Thanks!

Though I realize hindsight is, after all, 20/20, do you think I should hold off on submitting the remaining applications until all the materials are there? (Based on your experience with the schools that did respond super-early...)

ek319

Postby ek319 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:35 pm

P.S. loving the profile pic

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:59 pm

ek319 wrote:Thanks!

Though I realize hindsight is, after all, 20/20, do you think I should hold off on submitting the remaining applications until all the materials are there? (Based on your experience with the schools that did respond super-early...)

If you don't know when the LORs are going to be sent, then I wouldn't wait to submit. It might make sense to wait if they have already submitted over a week ago and you're just waiting for them to show up since some schools won't immediately receive an LOR if it arrives separately (some schools only make LOR requests from LSAC at the beginning and mid-month).

With deadline dates coming up for some schools and since it's already a bit late in the cycle already, if it was me I would probably just apply everywhere else as soon as possible and then provide the LSAC fax number to my LOR people and ask if they wouldn't mind faxing it in as well to try and speed things up. Just do a search on these forums to find a fax number.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”