What are my chances? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
inordertologin

New

What are my chances?

Post by inordertologin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:52 pm

Yes yes I know there are quite a few of these threads and as much as I've tried to ignore these boards in the past I can't. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment but here goes:

3.3 and a 150 (seems like that is the lowest number I've seen posted on these boards, if the 150s are average how are there so many people here with high 160s 170s? maybe they are the only ones who post, but I suppose am getting sidetracked)

been working in a law firm for the past year and a half
one great letter of recommendation from a professor and other good one from my employer

what are my chances at any school in chicago or elsewhere in IL this late in the game?

John Marshall
DePaul
Loyola
NIU
Kent
U of I (ha!)
etc.

Come on, pile on.

pattymac

Bronze

Re: What are my chances?

Post by pattymac » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:54 pm

Any chance of a retake?

inordertologin

New

Post by inordertologin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:55 pm

I would, but I would like to attend school this fall.

mb88

Bronze

Post by mb88 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:18 pm

You need to retake, honestly. A 150 is low even for Tier-4 schools, and your 3.3 isn't going to help any. Did you study at all for the LSAT? If you didn't, then you have a good chance of raising your score significantly. By taking a prep course supplemented with self-study books, you can easily jump your score to 160. That will make ALL the difference. If you can boosts your score into the mid 160s (unlikely but still entirely possible) you might even have a shot at some of the better Tier-1 schools.

I'm sure if you read this board you're well aware of the current problems in the legal community. There just aren't that many jobs to be had, and unless your current employer is willing to hire you on after graduation, you're going to be competing against ALOT of people being churned out by other T4 schools. Taking the time to raise your LSAT and get into the best school in your job market will give you a chance to actually make some money, and (hopefully) not be straddled with mortgage-level debt.

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/

That link will help you see what your chances are at different schools.

To use your own list:
John Marshall: 56% - Probably a waitlist
DePaul: 9% - Almost guaranteed deny
Loyola: 41% - Probably a waitlist/deny
NIU: 43% - Probably a waitlist/deny
Kent: <5% - Deny
U of I: <5% - Deny

And those are predictions based off of regular admission times. Considering you haven't applied yet, unless you have all of your materials ready to apply tonight, you're going to be very late in the game (even for these schools). Basically, even trying to shoot for John Marshall your best bet is to wait until next cycle. In the meantime, get into a prep course and retake the LSAT.

inordertologin

New

Post by inordertologin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:40 pm

"You need to retake, honestly. A 150 is low even for Tier-4 schools, and your 3.3 isn't going to help any. Did you study at all for the LSAT? If you didn't, then you have a good chance of raising your score significantly."

This is starting to make me feel stupid, which sucks because I don't think I am (though I realize I was stupid to start sort of late in the game in terms of applications) because I had the test prep books, I wore out both my Power Score books for about 3-4 months and took about 6 practice tests, though they were tests from the mid to late 90s. If feel that my study habits could have been better but considering the amount of time I spent I am wondering how much my score could actually improve.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Where are you struggling? I am almost positive you can improve on a 150, which will do a lot for you. What were your practice tests scores? Did you review your answers for every question you got wrong?

mb88

Bronze

Post by mb88 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:04 pm

Don't feel stupid, the LSAT does not judge intelligence.

That said, if you feel you genuinely studied hard for the LSAT and still pulled a 150, you may want to reexamine your desire to go to law school in the first place. Here's the thing: the LSAT is a test primarily of reading comprehension and logical reasoning skills. The reason the test focuses on these two areas is because that's what lawyers do. Day in and day out, a lawyer sits and analyzes complex documents. The LSAT is a fairly good predictor of how well developed you are in those areas, and if you do poorly on it after genuinely studying then it is likely that you just don't possess the type of specific talent you'll need in the legal field.

Does this mean you're stupid? No, of course not. Law isn't for everyone, just like engineering or medicine isn't for everyone. Where engineering requires intense math skills, and where medicine requires intense biology skills, the law requires intense reading/reasoning skills.

Don't beat yourself up over something you just might not be talented at.

inordertologin

New

Post by inordertologin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:05 pm

I was having a tough time with logical reasoning assumption questions and I reviewed my wrong answers I think I just kept faking myself out. I was testing a few points above there with a 159 (not taken all at one) being the highest. Plus I was having difficulty balancing speed, accuracy and understanding the reading sections, which really sucks because I was a freaking ENGLISH MAJOR. I know I would benefit from a class, but I really want to go to school next year.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:11 pm

inordertologin wrote:I was having a tough time with logical reasoning assumption questions and I reviewed my wrong answers I think I just kept faking myself out. I was testing a few points above there with a 159 (not taken all at one) being the highest. Plus I was having difficulty balancing speed, accuracy and understanding the reading sections, which really sucks because I was a freaking ENGLISH MAJOR. I know I would benefit from a class, but I really want to go to school next year.
I understand the desire to want to go to school next year, but you have think big picture. If you can raise your score, it is going to be well worth it for the rest of your career perhaps. Law schools aren't going anywhere, no need to rush.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

inordertologin

New

Post by inordertologin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:19 pm

I am still going to apply, but maybe to not as many schools and see what happens. If I have to wait another year I will. Just applied to John Marshall. Going to let the chips fall where the may.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:46 pm

Good luck. In the mean time, I'd recommend going through your study aides again. Don't psyche yourself out. Aim for the June or maybe even September date, then slowly study each day. It sounds like you crammed. Spend an hour each day studying and you'll be calm and relaxed for the June one and do significantly better, I bet.

inordertologin

New

Post by inordertologin » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:20 pm

mb88 wrote:Don't feel stupid, the LSAT does not judge intelligence.

That said, if you feel you genuinely studied hard for the LSAT and still pulled a 150, you may want to reexamine your desire to go to law school in the first place. Here's the thing: the LSAT is a test primarily of reading comprehension and logical reasoning skills. The reason the test focuses on these two areas is because that's what lawyers do. Day in and day out, a lawyer sits and analyzes complex documents. The LSAT is a fairly good predictor of how well developed you are in those areas, and if you do poorly on it after genuinely studying then it is likely that you just don't possess the type of specific talent you'll need in the legal field.

Does this mean you're stupid? No, of course not. Law isn't for everyone, just like engineering or medicine isn't for everyone. Where engineering requires intense math skills, and where medicine requires intense biology skills, the law requires intense reading/reasoning skills.

Don't beat yourself up over something you just might not be talented at.
Feel like I studied hard but felt like I crammed the practice tests, I was doing more reading about the test than actually taking the tests. I've learned a lot this cycle, mainly that applying to law school ain't at all like applying to college. Like someone else said, law schools will be around next year. It's just...you know, never really had to face rejection before so it's going to be weird getting these letters people are talking about. 3 more apps sent out today, let's see what happens.

lietx3

New

Post by lietx3 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:30 pm

inordertologin wrote:This is starting to make me feel stupid, which sucks because I don't think I am (though I realize I was stupid to start sort of late in the game in terms of applications) because I had the test prep books, I wore out both my Power Score books for about 3-4 months and took about 6 practice tests, though they were tests from the mid to late 90s. If feel that my study habits could have been better but considering the amount of time I spent I am wondering how much my score could actually improve.
6 Practice tests? You didn't study at all.

Edit: Sorry, that was harsh sounding. I think your score isn't indicative at all. 6 practice tests isn't even close to studying. The powerbooks are good and all... but to learn the exam you gotta do the exam. I started at a 154. Did about 30-40 prac tests (some section at a time, some under testing conditions). Ended up 164.

inordertologin

New

Post by inordertologin » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:33 pm

lietx3 wrote:
inordertologin wrote:This is starting to make me feel stupid, which sucks because I don't think I am (though I realize I was stupid to start sort of late in the game in terms of applications) because I had the test prep books, I wore out both my Power Score books for about 3-4 months and took about 6 practice tests, though they were tests from the mid to late 90s. If feel that my study habits could have been better but considering the amount of time I spent I am wondering how much my score could actually improve.
6 Practice tests? You didn't study at all.
Yeah, that's what I thought and I was cramming, so I feel a bit better if I have to/probably will take it again. I don't mind being denied (lie) it's just the waiting I can't stand.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”