Two Health Issues, One Addendum Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GMULiz

New

Two Health Issues, One Addendum

Post by GMULiz » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:23 pm

I'm in a bit of a pinch and would love some advice from anyone who's willing to help me.

I'm submitting an addendum to a school that waitlisted me, along with my top choice, but have conflicting views on what issue is more important. The debate is over my canceled June LSAT score thanks to a health issue; or a low GPA thanks to two semesters impacted by a health issue (physically and financially). When I retook the LSAT, I landed in the range of the schools I applied to (some lower than others) but my GPA is easily lower than the median range. What is more important- addressing the canceled score or addressing the low GPA?

Additional details: I'm not sure if this matters, but I canceled during the LSAT test (actually, as I was being strapped to a gurney and taken to the ER, but that's another story). Both the health issues are unrelated- the one from college is resolved, the one during the test is a now-permanent thing to watch. My grades did increase substantially once I got back on track and took out student loans to cover the costs of the surgery. I ended my collegiate career on the Dean's List and have spent the last two years working in politics.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

BigFatPanda

Bronze

Re: Two Health Issues, One Addendum

Post by BigFatPanda » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:37 pm

sounds like you're applying to GMU.

Whatever school you're applying to, just make sure your LSAT lands at their median and write an addendum about your health and financial issue your first two semester. Emphasize your upward trend toward the end of your college career and mention the fact that you made Dean's List.

Other than that, Don't worry about the cancelled score because no school would look at it, unless you're applying to Harvard or Yale.

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:28 pm

BigFatPanda wrote:sounds like you're applying to GMU.
Other than that, Don't worry about the cancelled score because no school would look at it, unless you're applying to Harvard or Yale.
+1. there's no need to explain your cancellation

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:31 pm

Do not adress cancellation.

GMULiz

New

Post by GMULiz » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:45 pm

Thank you so much to all of you- I appreciate it and you re-affirmed the direction I was leading in. Now I can go home and concentrate on writing a solid piece to send off to these schools. Cheers to you all!

(PS: GMU is my alma mater. I'm applying more westward than DC, and GMU is not on my list, but it is a great school.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”