asking admissions about specific part of app.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sternc

asking admissions about specific part of app.

Postby sternc » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:17 pm

I posted this question earlier in a LOCI thread but it kind of got buried by the main point of that question. I was waitlisted at one of my top schools today. It sucks. If I am hoping to eventually get in and am going to work hard with LOCI's, another rec, and a visit, is it a good idea to send a question about a particular part of my application. Just to clarify, I am around 75-85% GPA and 25-35% LSAT. I would be asking about a recent DUI case of mine that has yet to be resolved. I do not even have a court date yet for some reason, even though it occurred in late October. I want to ask how much the DUI effected the decision making process. Also, if the fact that it is still unresolved was a major deterrent towards accepting me. Do you think this type of email could be a negative? I want to send it soon, before sending off any LOCI or anything like that. Thanks.

vassarman

Re: asking admissions about specific part of app.

Postby vassarman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:34 pm

sternc wrote:I posted this question earlier in a LOCI thread but it kind of got buried by the main point of that question. I was waitlisted at one of my top schools today. It sucks. If I am hoping to eventually get in and am going to work hard with LOCI's, another rec, and a visit, is it a good idea to send a question about a particular part of my application. Just to clarify, I am around 75-85% GPA and 25-35% LSAT. I would be asking about a recent DUI case of mine that has yet to be resolved. I do not even have a court date yet for some reason, even though it occurred in late October. I want to ask how much the DUI effected the decision making process. Also, if the fact that it is still unresolved was a major deterrent towards accepting me. Do you think this type of email could be a negative? I want to send it soon, before sending off any LOCI or anything like that. Thanks.

Unless there is some new information about it--like you were found not guilty or it became resolved in some way, I fail to see how it would help you to remind them about it by sending in an e-mail. I mean--let's say you e-mail them, and they say "no, that's not why you were waitlisted." What do you gain? You learn that while beforehand they were not thinking about it, they certainly are now that you point it out. If the answer is yes, it seems that you have nothing new to add to assuage their concerns. Either way, I don't think e-mailing them helps.

Good luck with your other apps, and let us know how it works out.

sternc

Re: asking admissions about specific part of app.

Postby sternc » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:45 pm

Bump

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”