Was given "ride home" by police, disclose on application?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rocross1

Re: Was given "ride home" by police, disclose on application?

Postby rocross1 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:25 am

shanejamin wrote:You're almost certainly in the clear, and almost certainly should call the police department to check if they filed anything. Most apps just ask if you've ever been convicted of/plead guilty to a crime other than a traffic offense, which I imagine you haven't, as there was no ticket and no court date. Just read the specific wording.

The more important question: is your avatar a relief carving of a guy having sex with a ram?

I am glad someone asked.

Moon_Man

Postby Moon_Man » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:26 am

shanejamin wrote:Where is that from?

I'm not just being immature; ancient art is a hobby of mine.

Also, being immature is a hobby of mine.

No idea. You are the first person who has noticed that it is vulgar whatsoever.

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:27 am

Moon_Man wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote:
Moon_Man wrote:It is certainly possible that although there was no charge, there is a record.

Where do you guys think these records exist? Do you think there is a database out there that lists people who got driven home for being intoxicated? Because I'm sure your government has extra money to spend on pointless things like that.

If the officer didnt give you a ticket or even a piece of paper when he dropped you off, there is no record.

Just to indulge:
There is something called an "incident report" that some dep'ts do more for their own protection. It is not at all "pointless;" rather, if I was to wake up the next day and report that I had been beaten by the cops, this report would reflect that no, Mr Moon Man had in fact been observed rolling about on the sidewalk, at which time Officer Frogg placed him in the rear of his vehicle, and that his bruising was due to his inebriation. The government has even less money to spend losing track of its own employees. So if you feel this is silly, by all means, move on, but it is not at all clear that this was or was not an arrest, nor whether there is or is not a record, so please don't go shooting off your opinions about what the government does and does not have the inclination to do.

OK, so you're asking TLS... what exactly? About the specific protocol and prodecures of a police department in a locality we don't know the name of, for an "arrest" we don't know enough details about?

That's why I call flame. There's no way anyone on TLS can possibly answer this for you, though the 99.99999999999999+% likely answer is no, you do not disclose a police taxi ride home..

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:27 am

j.wellington wrote:You need to check with the police department and see if there's a record. Every state is different when it comes to these categories. If you were handcuffed, there's a chance this is recorded as an arrest, which would certainly need to be disclosed on many apps.

The matter can be summed up in two sentences and won't affect your chances. You don't want it to look like you're playing semantics.

This.

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:33 am

Kiersten1985 wrote:
j.wellington wrote:You need to check with the police department and see if there's a record. Every state is different when it comes to these categories. If you were handcuffed, there's a chance this is recorded as an arrest, which would certainly need to be disclosed on many apps.

The matter can be summed up in two sentences and won't affect your chances. You don't want it to look like you're playing semantics.

This.

Disclosing this can absolutely hurt your chances if it hints at a pattern of behavior--you mentioned you have other incidents to disclose, alcohol related? Of course, if it was something you had to disclose then you wouldn't have a choice, but I agree with several of the above posters: this seems silly.
Last edited by Rawlsian on Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:42 am

This isn't nearly as stupid a question as everyone makes it out to be. Some applications phrase their C&F questions in a way intended to dig out all kinds of stupid shit.

If I were you, I probably wouldn't have disclosed this incident on any of the applications I've filled out so far. I can't think of any question this would merit an affirmative answer to (e.g. I've never seen "Have you ever been charged or convicted of any misdemeanor or a felony, or brought home by the police for any reason"). They simply don't ask for what happened to you.

If you had been arrested, you would know by now. Contact the police station and get confirmation if it eases your nerves.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:35 pm

No, obviously enough for the rest of us you do not have to disclose this. However, I can sympathize, as I am sure if I was physically handcuffed it would make me wonder, too. 49 times out of 50 if you see someone put in handcuffs, chances are it is for something they are going to have to disclose on their law school application. But like I said, easy for the rest of us to tell you that you almost definitely do not have to disclose.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:25 pm

rocross1 wrote:That is the dumbest question I have ever seen?

Really?

Haribo

Postby Haribo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:17 pm

Moon_Man wrote:
shanejamin wrote:Where is that from?

I'm not just being immature; ancient art is a hobby of mine.

Also, being immature is a hobby of mine.

No idea. You are the first person who has noticed that it is vulgar whatsoever.

It's from Khajuraho, India.

Gwen

Postby Gwen » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:19 pm

Cole S. Law wrote:Are you sure you are smart enough to be a lawyer?

ftfy

macattaq

Postby macattaq » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:26 pm

thisguy456 wrote:Give the guy a break, it's a decent question, because technically he was "arrested." I think most applications and background checks refer to arrested as being charged with a crime, being taken down to the police station, etc. Being handcuffed by the police is technically being arrested, so he has good reason to wonder.

As for OP's dilemma, I'm sorry but this is beyond the scope of advice I can give you.

No, its not. He was not arrested. Being arrested entails: being cuffed, a formal charge by the officer, and then either being released on your own recognizance (with a citation giving all the details and the court date) or taken to a precinct and held. In this case, OP was handcuffed to protect the officer's own safety; drunk people have a habit of becoming extremely violent.

OP, here's what you need to do: go down to the main police station. Ask to see anything relating to your name and the night in question. You have to do this in person and cannot do so over the phone. There will be a form you have to fill out, and there may be a $.25- $1.00 charge per page copied. Chances are, the officers didn't even file any paperwork, but by checking this way, you can see exactly what was said, and whether it is something to be concerned about. However, since you weren't cited, you may not have anything to disclose regardless. On the other hand, having this documentation, if any, will help you when preparing for the character and fitness section of the bar exam, which is significantly more probing than any law school app will ever be.

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:12 pm

Did you provide your name or any ID? If not, your problem is solved.

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:20 pm

macattaq wrote:
thisguy456 wrote:Give the guy a break, it's a decent question, because technically he was "arrested." I think most applications and background checks refer to arrested as being charged with a crime, being taken down to the police station, etc. Being handcuffed by the police is technically being arrested, so he has good reason to wonder.

As for OP's dilemma, I'm sorry but this is beyond the scope of advice I can give you.

No, its not. He was not arrested. Being arrested entails: being cuffed, a formal charge by the officer, and then either being released on your own recognizance (with a citation giving all the details and the court date) or taken to a precinct and held. In this case, OP was handcuffed to protect the officer's own safety; drunk people have a habit of becoming extremely violent.

OP, here's what you need to do: go down to the main police station. Ask to see anything relating to your name and the night in question. You have to do this in person and cannot do so over the phone. There will be a form you have to fill out, and there may be a $.25- $1.00 charge per page copied. Chances are, the officers didn't even file any paperwork, but by checking this way, you can see exactly what was said, and whether it is something to be concerned about. However, since you weren't cited, you may not have anything to disclose regardless. On the other hand, having this documentation, if any, will help you when preparing for the character and fitness section of the bar exam, which is significantly more probing than any law school app will ever be.

Whiel I agree with you, in the strictest sense of the word "arrest" meaning to restrict someone's liberty of movement, handcuffs do arrest you. When my girlfriend ties me up i'm in a state of arrest. Your heart stopping movement is often a cardiac arrest. However in the connotative sense, you're completely right that yes, it's not really an arrest unless you are being charged.

Also I think its good practice to start coniving your way out of technicalities at a young age, you'll do better in court.

macattaq

Postby macattaq » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:06 pm

Yes, you are right. But that is a broader sense of the word arrest. The applications are asking in regards to the narrower, legal definition, and that is the one that OP should be concerned about.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”