Just Realized my major-name isn't complete on submitted apps

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jlean

Just Realized my major-name isn't complete on submitted apps

Postby jlean » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:47 am

I am a mathematics/economics major at USC. I am in the economics dept. here at USC and so naturally when picking between Math or Econ on the common information form I chose economics since the joint option wasn't available and I didn't want to simply put "other". I just realized I omitted to adjust my major on the individual applications to most schools. On my resume and transcripts I have my correct major, its just that on the actual applications to certain schools I have only that I am an economics major.

In any case, what do you recommend I do?
1) Call each school and ask what they would like for me to do?
2) Since my transcript and Resume are accurate don't worry about the technicality of it's full name?
3) Panic!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Background:
3.41 GPA and 171 LSAT
Pretty Much Carpet Bombed the T10-T30

Cupidity

Re: Just Realized my major-name isn't complete on submitted apps

Postby Cupidity » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 am

Not even sure I'd worry about it. Major choice won't affect your app much.

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:19 am

Cupidity wrote:Not even sure I'd worry about it. Major choice won't affect your app much.

I agree.

I feel for you, jlean. All that math and economics, and it likely did nothing but kill your chances of getting into many of the top law schools. :cry:

I wonder what that GPA would have been had you been a ________ (anything is easier than math and economics) major instead?

jlean

Postby jlean » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:24 am

ya tell me about it, well so long as I get into G-Town or USC I'll be happy I figure I have an OK shot at both with my 171 but who knows. I have received a ton of fee waivers from T20 and T10 schools so i like to think that means a least something about my chances.
Anyways, I suppose I won't fret about my miscue too much, lmk if anyone feels differently

je_ne_regrette_rien

Postby je_ne_regrette_rien » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:26 am

Lomax wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Not even sure I'd worry about it. Major choice won't affect your app much.

I agree.

I feel for you, jlean. All that math and economics, and it likely did nothing but kill your chances of getting into many of the top law schools. :cry:

I wonder what that GPA would have been had you been a ________ (anything is easier than math and economics) major instead?

My boyfriend is a math/econ double major and has a 4.0 in both majors. It's a popular combo among his friends-- who obviously share his interests and skill set. He literally sits at his desk for 3 hours after class doing the most tedious problems... and enjoys it.

So...I disagree that math/econ is "harder." For some people, writing papers is "harder." It just depends on what you prefer and what you're better at.

Good luck to OP btw. You have a great LSAT score. And I don't think that this tiny mistake about listing both majors will affect you in the least.

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:07 am

je_ne_regrette_rien wrote:My boyfriend is a math/econ double major and has a 4.0 in both majors. It's a popular combo among his friends-- who obviously share his interests and skill set. He literally sits at his desk for 3 hours after class doing the most tedious problems... and enjoys it.

So...I disagree that math/econ is "harder." For some people, writing papers is "harder." It just depends on what you prefer and what you're better at.

True enough, though judging from jlean's LSAT/GPA ratio and response to my comment, I am guessing that he/she may well have done better, grade-wise, with a different major. I was departing from trying to act all lawyer-like when I said "anything is easier than math and economics". Obviously that major would be easier than many for a handful for people. For the vast majority, however, it would very likely rank among the more, if not the most, difficult. For me it certainly would.

goblue1646

Postby goblue1646 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:18 am

Same thing happened to me--if it's on the resume and transcript it should be fine. I mentioned mine in my PS too, so I don't think an addendum is necessary.

calkel

Postby calkel » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:19 am

error of epic proportions

/self

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”