Applying this cycle, taking in June--thoughts?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Cupidity

Applying this cycle, taking in June--thoughts?

Postby Cupidity » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:40 am

I scored a 166 in September, sick as a dog with a 102 degree fever. I didn't explain this in an addendum, because I already submitted one explaining my June 159 was because I was sick as a dog (also true). Basically I PT in the low 170's, every now and then I get lucky and hit a 175 or so. My GPA is a 3.87 and I am still in my undergrad.

I'm teaching an LSAT prep course through my college this semester, and it is requiring me to do a lot of LSAT prep myself. So I'm thinking, why the hell not give it one more shot? I know it won't make a difference this cycle (barring some freak ultra-late-waitlist scenario), but I just kind of want the score to say, "yeah I can get in the 170's".

There is also the possibility, if I hit a 170+ with my GPA, of taking a year off and then reapplying early next cycle to Columbia or Berkeley.

What do you guys think? Am I putting myself through uneeded stress by going back for thirds, or wasting a year of my life--(I don't have any career to speak of), or is this a good idea?

vanwinkle

Re: Applying this cycle, taking in June--thoughts?

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:45 am

Teaching is the best way to learn something. I think part of the reason my best grade was in Contracts this fall is that I spent so much time helping other people (classmates and TLSers) understand Contracts concepts better. Teaching the LSAT will do nothing but make you better at the LSAT; you're basically getting paid to learn it! Why would you not take it again after gaining that valuable experience?

I also think that it would be good to try to find work after you graduate and work a year between UG and law school, not only because it'll make you look more well-rounded as an applicant, I can tell you that the mentality working gives you makes you a better law student.

Law school requires a much stronger work ethic and a much different work ethic than UG. I think this is one reason why top law schools are focusing so much more on work experience than they used to; it's clear that those who have post-graduation WE generally do better overall.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:47 am

Cupidity wrote:I scored a 166 in September, sick as a dog with a 102 degree fever. I didn't explain this in an addendum, because I already submitted one explaining my June 159 was because I was sick as a dog (also true). Basically I PT in the low 170's, every now and then I get lucky and hit a 175 or so. My GPA is a 3.87 and I am still in my undergrad.

I'm teaching an LSAT prep course through my college this semester, and it is requiring me to do a lot of LSAT prep myself. So I'm thinking, why the hell not give it one more shot? I know it won't make a difference this cycle (barring some freak ultra-late-waitlist scenario), but I just kind of want the score to say, "yeah I can get in the 170's".

There is also the possibility, if I hit a 170+ with my GPA, of taking a year off and then reapplying early next cycle to Columbia or Berkeley.

What do you guys think? Am I putting myself through uneeded stress by going back for thirds, or wasting a year of my life--(I don't have any career to speak of), or is this a good idea?

If you aren't averse to waiting a year for law school, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't just let this cycle slide (barring a surprise acceptance or two, of course). Given your other thread, I'd go for the better odds and just submit ED to wherever you like best in September of this year. Your ridiculous GPA and soon-to-be-ridiculous LSAT would mean auto-admit to almost anywhere you choose.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:51 am

Yeah, I mean...barring a lucky entrance to Berkeley, Cornell, GULC, UVA or UCLA (Hopefully one bites), I'll probably retake. And then...If I don't decide to start dieng the day before the LSAT, I may have a score worth waiting with.

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:56 am

vanwinkle wrote:Teaching is the best way to learn something.

completely agree
if you have something to do in your year off that you think is worthwhile, i say do it. take it again, kill it and come back next year w/ the possibility of $$. pretty much your last chance to "be free" or whatever. have you been rejected from cal or columbia? you must have a pretty solid shot at cal with that solid gpa your carrying around. assuming cal and columbia are what you really want, if you get rejected try the lsat in june, have an amazing summer, apply in sept. and live it up for another year while you wait for cal and columbia to swoon over you next cycle. in the mean time you can save a sizable amount of money teaching the lsat. just my opinion

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:59 am

Cupidity wrote:Yeah, I mean...barring a lucky entrance to Berkeley, Cornell, GULC, UVA or UCLA (Hopefully one bites), I'll probably retake. And then...If I don't decide to start dieng the day before the LSAT, I may have a score worth waiting with.

again, only my opinion... but you are CRAZY. there's no way you're not getting into one of those schools... unless i'm missing something. are you convicted felon?

No1ustad

Postby No1ustad » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:14 am

nematoad wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Yeah, I mean...barring a lucky entrance to Berkeley, Cornell, GULC, UVA or UCLA (Hopefully one bites), I'll probably retake. And then...If I don't decide to start dieng the day before the LSAT, I may have a score worth waiting with.

again, only my opinion... but you are CRAZY. there's no way you're not getting into one of those schools... unless i'm missing something. are you convicted felon?

+1

you'll get in somewhere here, but wait a cycle and get a top school. one extra yr you won't notice in the grand scheme of things but it'll always hurt when u realize u coulda been applying to HYS...

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:20 am

nematoad wrote:

You guys are making my night.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”