Cultural Compatability, Liberal in the T-30? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Cupidity

Gold

Cultural Compatability, Liberal in the T-30?

Post by Cupidity » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:28 am

I know the general response is, "Go to the best school you can get into", and if that means a Jew ends up at BYU, a Mormon at Cardozo or a Homosexual at Notre Dame--well, suck it up, put in your three years and get a decent job.

But I'm not looking to spend three years of my life loathing myself and my environment. I'm a gay, vegan, pacifist (studying genocide for three years in undergrad has a habit of achieving the last thing). What schools in the T-30 should I avoid, what schools do I belong at? And yes, I know, Boalt...but with a 3.87, 166--well yeah, theres a very slim chance of that happening.

Are schools like Vanderbilt or Notre Dame going to be nightmares? Or are the law schools isolated enough from the undergrad that it will be alright?

reebtoor

Bronze

Re: Cultural Compatability, Liberal in the T-30?

Post by reebtoor » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:35 am

The rep from Notre Dame at a law school fair I attended was gay and said he had a great experience. I can't imagine there not being a more conservative leaning at ND and Vandy, but I'm sure it's possible to find your place there. Incidentally, I'm a Mormon who doesn't like the BYU Mormon culture, so it's not really one of my top picks. I guess I'm kind of in the opposite boat from you, but I totally get you wanting to be somewhere you're happy.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:38 am

Actually, you do have a shot at Boalt... maybe not the best shot. But a shot, nonetheless. They will really be a fan of your lifestyle as well.

Anyhow, to answer the question, I don't think it's as big of an issue as you're making it. Especially schools in the T-30 seem to be pretty darn diverse and willing to take on the conservative, the liberal, and a number of other persuasions. In T-30 schools, for the most part at least, I think there's a tremendous variety of individuals. Sure, some schools have a little bit of a tilt one way or another, but I think most of them aren't strong enough to the point of you not finding your niche.

The best way to find out, in all actuality, is to visit the top two or three on your list. Nothing compares to actually visiting the school and seeing for yourself what you think of it. Although I do acknowledge visiting could get expensive.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:43 am

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:Actually, you do have a shot at Boalt... maybe not the best shot. But a shot, nonetheless. They will really be a fan of your lifestyle as well..
I keep telling myself this, :? --but I applied in December, which for a candidate with my numbers is probably a deal breaker.
You Gotta Have Faith wrote: The best way to find out, in all actuality, is to visit the top two or three on your list. Nothing compares to actually visiting the school and seeing for yourself what you think of it. Although I do acknowledge visiting could get expensive.
Honestly, while I really hope to be able to do this... I'm broke, real broke. And I'm busy, real busy. I don't know if there is a serious possibility of this happening.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:58 am

There are only a few decent schools that you absolutely should be avoiding: BYU, Baylor and Pepperdine are the ones that come to mind, and they're not in the T30. Generally, there are some "traditional" political ideologies associated with schools--UChicago has a reputation for being libertarian, for example. But these are pretty weak. You will find a more "fratty" culture at Duke or UVA or Vanderbilt or Emory than you would at NYU or Berkeley or BU or GW, but the difference should not be significant enough to make you turn down any of the aforementioned schools if it's the best one at which you get in.

It's also worth taking into account where these schools place after law school. For example, if you're not comfortable working in the South after law school, don't bother applying to Emory--there are peer schools elsewhere that place into friendlier environments (BU, for example, in the case of Emory). Despite being aware that all Southerners are not bigots, I still would rather live somewhere where I am likely to have employment discrimination protections and eventually marriage benefits (among other things) after graduation, so I'm not even considering schools in the South or rural West and would recommend the same to any other LGBT applicants--it's simply an economic mistake to go to school in the South. (UVA is an exception as it places very strongly into the obviously friendly DC market, and Duke is probably okay as well as any T14 has decent national job placement.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:02 am

Lol, I live in the south.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:02 am

Cupidity wrote:Lol, I live in the south.
Haha, okay then. You're free to disagree with me there :)

Edit: Florida doesn't count. Although maybe Emory places well into the Miami market; no idea.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:06 am

North Florida does, here is how it works

North Florida = Georgia
Central Florida = New England
South Florida = Cuba/Puerto Rico depending on the area

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:25 am

Cupidity wrote:I'm a gay, vegan, pacifist
Ah, that explains the Spock tar. :wink:

I have a gay friend at UVA and the only real complaint he has here is the lack of other gay men to date.

I can tell you that UT-Austin is a great place to consider because Austin is a wonderful city, there are vegetarian restaurants and restaurants with lots of vegetarian options near campus, it's an incredibly open and accepting and liberal environment, and that's in Texas. I went to UG there for film and had many gay and lesbian classmates who loved it there. (It may be a stereotype that the film industry is full of gays, but it's so true.) Your current numbers are good enough to go there, and I think you'd enjoy it despite it being in Texas. Plus it's warm weather and low COL.

You should be able to retake and get into multiple T14s anyway, so this is kind of a moot point.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

totalidiot

New

Post by totalidiot » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:04 am

You'll be fine at any top 30 school.

Also, I'm assuming that this is an alt for snickersnicker.

moviechicka

New

Post by moviechicka » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:12 am

BenJ wrote:It's also worth taking into account where these schools place after law school. For example, if you're not comfortable working in the South after law school, don't bother applying to Emory--there are peer schools elsewhere that place into friendlier environments (BU, for example, in the case of Emory).
Atlanta's probably one of the most liberal cities in the country. It has a fairly large LGBT population, the politics are left-leaning and the city is incredibly culturally diverse. You would be fine at Emory.
Last edited by moviechicka on Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:12 am

No alt.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:27 am

Cupidity wrote:I know the general response
Keep in mind that you are probably more likely to do well at a place that you enjoy and feel that you feel comfortable in.

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:56 am

What I hear from my friends at law school is that 90% of law professors anywhere are tried and true liberals. The students, I take it, are another story.

I'd put more emphasis on the cultural leanings of the city or town the school is in, not the school itself. The University of Washington is a great school in a progressive and downright lovely city. Too late to apply now though if you didn't already. If you did apply, I definitely recommend a visit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”