UVA RD vs ED

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sternc

UVA RD vs ED

Postby sternc » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:48 am

So what are the real differences in terms of acceptance? I know ED helps, but to what extent? Anyone have an idea?

reebtoor

Re: UVA RD vs ED

Postby reebtoor » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:26 am

I think it only helps a little at this point. I think they extended the ED option only to allow them to pick their applicants with a knowledge that they will attend. This allows them to have more control over the lower end of the entering class. At least it shows your commitment, but if your numbers aren't close, it probably won't help.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:47 am

At this point I think it will help you more in terms of avoiding getting yield protected. I think it is late enough in the cycle that they probably aren't going to be accepting anyone they wouldn't have sans and ED.

Keep in my though I have no evidence for this and am simply guessing.

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:57 am

If it were not for ED, I would not have been waitlisted and most certainly would have received a rejection, so I'm all for it!

OneSixtySix

Postby OneSixtySix » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:59 am

I applied ED there as a reach but agree with previous posters suggesting this is more of an attempt to define their incoming class with a bit more accuracy, cut down yield, and give me false hope :D

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:01 am

jawsthegreat wrote:At this point I think it will help you more in terms of avoiding getting yield protected. I think it is late enough in the cycle that they probably aren't going to be accepting anyone they wouldn't have sans and ED.

Keep in my though I have no evidence for this and am simply guessing.

I think it's more than plausible. It seems like they may already have all of the splitters and reverses they need to maintain their LSAT and GPA medians (they've been letting them in left and right, or so it seems), now it's a matter of finding the candidates they really want and filling in the middle. I feel like this is going to be a year where UVA and GULC let close to (if not) zero candidates in off of the waitlist. They may have a few spots open up when the stronger prospects bolt after getting off of a T8 waitlist or someone goes for a lower school for the money, but I'd bet it won't be many at all.

Edit: Don't mean to be a downer, I'm more than likely WL bound as well.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”