Admission consultants NOT to use...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jay-Electronica

Re: Admission consultants NOT to use...

Postby Jay-Electronica » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:15 am

SolarWind wrote:
IDILL_E wrote:Let me tell you something that is correct.

Every school in the country will be foaming at the mouth for you. A black with a 3.6 and a 177 C'mon Son! You already know you dont need an admissions consultant. All you need to do is submit and your apps, after about a week they will all be knocking your door down with offers. Dont waste money on a consultant.

Even tho IDILL_E is egregiously wrong sometimes,

+100 to this

/Thread

What am I egregiously wrong about :oops: ?

This means I have been around TLS too long if people recognize my posts.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:12 am

SolarWind wrote:

Every school in the country will be foaming at the mouth for you. A black with a 3.6 and a 177 C'mon Son! You already know you dont need an admissions consultant. All you need to do is submit and your apps, after about a week they will all be knocking your door down with offers. Dont waste money on a consultant.

+100 to this

/Thread

+1 to all of Solar's post.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:19 am

Robert398 wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:I clicked on this thread thinking it would be about admission consultants, but clearly it is an attention grab for the OP. The first paragraph of the first post is mostly irrelevant to the second.

In any case, any URM with the numbers you claim using an admission consultant is a tool.

Yea.. this is exactly why I dont trust using TLS.. I thought this thread was relevant because about a week ago I saw another poster asking about admission consultants. I figured that poster wasnt the only one wondering. TLS isnt as all knowing about admission issues as you all I seem to think. I have seen a lot on here that is just absolutely incorrect.

What are some examples of advice you've seen on here that is incorrect according to what you've been told by consultants?

I'd like to know this as well

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:22 am

Damn, didnt know I had a hater fan club. I must be doing something right.

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:22 am

Every school in the country will be foaming at the mouth for you. A black dude with a 3.6 and a 177 C'mon Son! You already know you dont need an admissions consultant. All you need to do is submit your apps, after about a week they will all be knocking your door down with offers. Dont waste money on a consultant.

LOL - exactly - the OP must know that he is definitely going to get in anywhere, which is why I say this thread is just an attention grab. The first post proves it because it's mostly about him. The mention of an admission consultant is an after-thought.

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:14 pm

tkgrrett wrote:hmm.. now you guys have me second guessing myself.. my contract doesnt begin til March 1st(after the current admission cycle) so I havent made the payment yet...

I have a better idea. Whatever your consultant is charging you I will beat it by half. Thats right 50% of that fee and I will walk you through the process. Just fill out your aps and send to me and I will submit them for you and go with you to y h or S ASW. Lets see your consultant do all that. :) Also owe me a six pack for saving you all that money.

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:17 pm

I want to take everything back Ive said in this thread. This guy has to be flame

rookhawk

Postby rookhawk » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:44 pm

-
Last edited by rookhawk on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:48 pm

Sogui wrote:TLS.

You made a thread about consultants, don't offer any insight, and then at the very end you judge one of the consultants based on the FREE advice they gave you in passing? And 3.6x is below median in the T10 and if you weren't AA it COULD give you trouble, especially in combination with your underage drinking thing. Your LSAT and race are the things that will make those other considerations disappear.

No.

3.6 combined with a 177 is a lock for T10. He might not swing HYS absent the URM status, but he'd pick up nearly everything from CCN downwards. Also, no one gives a shit about underage drinking tickets. So, yeah, that advice sucked.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:55 pm

tkgrrett wrote:If I ended up at Yale, something went horribly horribly wrong.

:shock:

I can say this, but for much different reasons.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:00 pm

ogman05 wrote:I want to take everything back Ive said in this thread. This guy has to be flame

You guys need to stop getting hostile and throwing around "flame" so liberally. I am starting to think some of you use it in real life. Im really hoping the internet just adds 10 lbs to your idiocy and real law students are not like this. Thanks to everyone who gave real advice. After some of the responses I emailed an admissions officer from a low ranked school that I am acquainted with(met him attending one of the LSAC sponsored summer diversity programs). He offered to look at my writing samples for me over the summer and advised against using an admission counselor.

Everyone who decided to make an idiot comment can go back to their regular activities... mostly telling people they have to turn down a scholarship at Michigan to go to Columbia at sticker because an extra 100k is no big deal and assuring people that they will never get any kind of job from any school outside the top 6.
Last edited by rundoxierun on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:01 pm

IDILL_E wrote:
SolarWind wrote:

+100 to this

/Thread

just one thread.. but yeah graphically describing tragedies for URM admissions defense is full of fail

drsomebody

Postby drsomebody » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:54 pm

tkgrrett wrote:After some of the responses I emailed an admissions officer from a low ranked school that I am acquainted with(met him attending one of the LSAC sponsored summer diversity programs). He offered to look at my writing samples for me over the summer and advised against using an admission counselor.

This is probably the smart thing to do. You have a LOT of time to apply to law schools. Write your essays in the next couple of months and then give them to folk, like this guy, who you trust. You're clearly a smart guy, you'll be able to compile a great application packet with only occasional help.

Also, don't feel at all pressured about applying to Yale - I've gotten a lot of crap about not applying to Stanford but I'd rather be happy than spend three years of my life in a place I don't like just because it's a "good school."

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:03 pm

SolarWind wrote:
IDILL_E wrote:
SolarWind wrote:

+100 to this

/Thread

just one thread.. but yeah graphically describing tragedies for URM admissions defense is full of fail

ha I had a hunch that was it, I think everyone hates me after that lol. My intention was perverted, but oh well I shouldnt have done it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”