Writing letter of recommendation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
313D313

Writing letter of recommendation

Postby 313D313 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:22 pm

i asked one of my professors for a letter of recommendation. He said sure, just write it up and send it to me.

any advice on what i should include??
how good can i make myself sound..lol?

84Sunbird2000

Re: Writing letter of recommendation

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:25 pm

Umm....that sounds extraordinarily unethical.

313D313

Postby 313D313 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:27 pm

i know, but i need the letter of recommendation so..

acrossthepond

Postby acrossthepond » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:31 pm

no idea what to suggest - but that is pretty common over here in the UK. I guess they think... they wouldn't sign it if they didn't agree with it?

I would start with how you have "excelled" in their particular courses.

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:33 pm

kwhitegocubs wrote:Umm....that sounds extraordinarily unethical.

Happens more often than you might realize.

OP I don't really have much advice, I was scared of the same thing happening to me. You may want to do a little research on sites telling profs what to write (e.g. http://www.boxfreeconcepts.com/reco/).

313D313

Postby 313D313 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:42 pm

Georgiana wrote:

Happens more often than you might realize.

OP I don't really have much advice, I was scared of the same thing happening to me. You may want to do a little research on sites telling profs what to write (e.g. http://www.boxfreeconcepts.com/reco/).

Thanks Georgiana!
The link defintely helps.

mb88

Postby mb88 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:41 pm

Somebody is jealous that their professors didn't give them the same chance...
:wink:

kazu

Postby kazu » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:21 pm

Ken talks about the possibility of this on the section about LORs... http://www.top-law-schools.com/letters- ... ation.html (scroll down to "drafting your own recommendation")

I definitely agree with what he says here, especially the part "Admissions officers have stated that they can tell if an applicant has drafted his or her own letter of recommendation because it either mimics too closely the applicant’s own writing style or fails to effectively capture the point of view that a recommender inherently possesses." I don't think I would ever be able to "mask" my writing style convincingly enough, or cover up for the fact that I've never actually been a professor. I would think how a professor evaluates a student compared to other students would be noticeably different from how the student evaluates himself against his peers.

Personally I ask the professor if he could actually write it, stating the reasons above, and offer to provide some appropriate assistance (for example a letter on why I wish to become a lawyer, my background, transcripts / copies of the work I did in his class, etc.) I think if you have a good enough relationship with the professor he would be happy to write the letter himself. Maybe the reason he wants you do write it is because he doesn't know you that well, or that he's too busy to take the time..? If that's the case, you might be better off with a different recommender...

313D313

Postby 313D313 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:15 am

kazu wrote:Ken talks about the possibility of this on the section about LORs... http://www.top-law-schools.com/letters- ... ation.html (scroll down to "drafting your own recommendation")

I definitely agree with what he says here, especially the part "Admissions officers have stated that they can tell if an applicant has drafted his or her own letter of recommendation because it either mimics too closely the applicant’s own writing style or fails to effectively capture the point of view that a recommender inherently possesses." I don't think I would ever be able to "mask" my writing style convincingly enough, or cover up for the fact that I've never actually been a professor. I would think how a professor evaluates a student compared to other students would be noticeably different from how the student evaluates himself against his peers.

Personally I ask the professor if he could actually write it, stating the reasons above, and offer to provide some appropriate assistance (for example a letter on why I wish to become a lawyer, my background, transcripts / copies of the work I did in his class, etc.) I think if you have a good enough relationship with the professor he would be happy to write the letter himself. Maybe the reason he wants you do write it is because he doesn't know you that well, or that he's too busy to take the time..? If that's the case, you might be better off with a different recommender...

Very solid advice. Thank you very much!
This is exactly why i am worried about writing it myself. I have taken 2 classes with the professor and he knows me pretty well. He is just very laid back about almost everything and i actually expected this response from him.

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:04 am

313D313 wrote:Very solid advice. Thank you very much!
This is exactly why i am worried about writing it myself. I have taken 2 classes with the professor and he knows me pretty well. He is just very laid back about almost everything and i actually expected this response from him.

No prob! Hope everything works out :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”