JD/MBA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tx1987
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:21 pm

JD/MBA

Postby tx1987 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:40 pm

Hi y'all-

I've been thinking that I wanted to get a dual-degree, but I'm not positive yet. Do I have to know now? The reason I'm asking is because I'm unsure what to check on the applications. Also, do you usually go through a separate application process for the MBA part? And does is it tougher to get in if you say that you want a dual-degree?

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: JD/MBA

Postby Flanker1067 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:52 pm

First, you don't necessarily need to know now. You can apply in your first year of Law school to the MBA program at most schools and do the 4 year joint. However, it is my understanding that at most schools you need to be accepted to both programs individually, so that you will need to take the GMAT. Because of that, it is probably in your interest to study for that prior to entering 1L.

On a separate note, I would love to do this but at the law schools I am looking at (Penn and Northwestern especially) I stand no chance of being accepted into their MBA programs. Keep in mind how good the schools are vs. where you can get in vs. which degree you plan to use (or more of).

tx1987
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:21 pm

Re: JD/MBA

Postby tx1987 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:55 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:First, you don't necessarily need to know now. You can apply in your first year of Law school to the MBA program at most schools and do the 4 year joint. However, it is my understanding that at most schools you need to be accepted to both programs individually, so that you will need to take the GMAT. Because of that, it is probably in your interest to study for that prior to entering 1L.

On a separate note, I would love to do this but at the law schools I am looking at (Penn and Northwestern especially) I stand no chance of being accepted into their MBA programs. Keep in mind how good the schools are vs. where you can get in vs. which degree you plan to use (or more of).


Thanks for the info! Also, I have a journalism degree from UT, so when they ask for my degree, I say, "Journalism." Are we supposed to be more official than that?

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: JD/MBA

Postby Flanker1067 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:57 pm

tx1987 wrote:
Thanks for the info! Also, I have a journalism degree from UT, so when they ask for my degree, I say, "Journalism." Are we supposed to be more official than that?


Not 100% sure what you are talking about here. I think just saying journalism is fine though because its a common degree. I think you only need to be more specific if its something that can be a B.S. or a B.A or something like that.

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: JD/MBA

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:59 pm

tx1987 wrote:Hi y'all-

I've been thinking that I wanted to get a dual-degree, but I'm not positive yet. Do I have to know now? The reason I'm asking is because I'm unsure what to check on the applications. Also, do you usually go through a separate application process for the MBA part? And does is it tougher to get in if you say that you want a dual-degree?


1: You do not have to know now

2: I would not check the JD/MBA box - they probably don't put much stock in it either way, but I can't really see how it would help you, and worst case they start to think about whether you can get in to the MBA program.

3: At almost every school (there are exception) you need to do a separate application for the MBA and take the GMAT

tx1987
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:21 pm

Re: JD/MBA

Postby tx1987 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:32 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:
tx1987 wrote:
Thanks for the info! Also, I have a journalism degree from UT, so when they ask for my degree, I say, "Journalism." Are we supposed to be more official than that?


Not 100% sure what you are talking about here. I think just saying journalism is fine though because its a common degree. I think you only need to be more specific if its something that can be a B.S. or a B.A or something like that.


I meant, do I write "Bachelor of Journalism?"

User avatar
rockchalk86
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 am

Re: JD/MBA

Postby rockchalk86 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:19 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
tx1987 wrote:Hi y'all-

I've been thinking that I wanted to get a dual-degree, but I'm not positive yet. Do I have to know now? The reason I'm asking is because I'm unsure what to check on the applications. Also, do you usually go through a separate application process for the MBA part? And does is it tougher to get in if you say that you want a dual-degree?


1: You do not have to know now

2: I would not check the JD/MBA box - they probably don't put much stock in it either way, but I can't really see how it would help you, and worst case they start to think about whether you can get in to the MBA program.

3: At almost every school (there are exception) you need to do a separate application for the MBA and take the GMAT


Any exceptions in the T14?

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: JD/MBA

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:24 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:
tx1987 wrote:Hi y'all-

I've been thinking that I wanted to get a dual-degree, but I'm not positive yet. Do I have to know now? The reason I'm asking is because I'm unsure what to check on the applications. Also, do you usually go through a separate application process for the MBA part? And does is it tougher to get in if you say that you want a dual-degree?


1: You do not have to know now

2: I would not check the JD/MBA box - they probably don't put much stock in it either way, but I can't really see how it would help you, and worst case they start to think about whether you can get in to the MBA program.

3: At almost every school (there are exception) you need to do a separate application for the MBA and take the GMAT


Any exceptions in the T14?


NYU and Northwestern for sure, perhaps Yale, but don't quote me on that.

Columbia, Berkeley, Harvard, Stanford, and Chicago I know for sure are separate apps.

User avatar
rockchalk86
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 am

Re: JD/MBA

Postby rockchalk86 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:55 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:
tx1987 wrote:Hi y'all-

I've been thinking that I wanted to get a dual-degree, but I'm not positive yet. Do I have to know now? The reason I'm asking is because I'm unsure what to check on the applications. Also, do you usually go through a separate application process for the MBA part? And does is it tougher to get in if you say that you want a dual-degree?


1: You do not have to know now

2: I would not check the JD/MBA box - they probably don't put much stock in it either way, but I can't really see how it would help you, and worst case they start to think about whether you can get in to the MBA program.

3: At almost every school (there are exception) you need to do a separate application for the MBA and take the GMAT


Any exceptions in the T14?


NYU and Northwestern for sure, perhaps Yale, but don't quote me on that.

Columbia, Berkeley, Harvard, Stanford, and Chicago I know for sure are separate apps.


Good info... looks like at NU you apply thru Kellogg and don't need an LSAT score.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: guybourdin and 7 guests